Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 705 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ordered Part # 9416K147 from McMaster-Carr
Gas Spring with Threaded Ends 175 Froce 18.18" Extended Leanth, 7.87" Stroke $16.32 each (X2)

Also needed, (for my 08), part # 9416K79
10mm Ball Socket, M8 Therad, Steel for, Gas Spring with Threaded Ends (Need 2)

Only tool I needed was a small Flathead Screwdriver.

Springs $32.64 + tax + shipping= $40.25
M8 Thread-ends $5.92 +.52 +4.50= $10.94

If you order all together save $4.50 in shipping, (I guess)

Thanks Shiny!! Been on for a week now and everything is fine!
I got the 175 lbs ones and like the way they THROW the hatch up in the air!
Gained 4-6" of Headroom. No more bonking the noodle!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good to see them up (and down) and running!

You get ten points for "most creative use of camping supplies." ;)

[It's surprising that the '08 OEM support has a different size thread on the body end connector. I was able to reuse all of the OEM connectors from my '05.]

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update 6 months and still going strong!
Rear hatch is up and outta the way for you tall boys also it's "firm" to shut.
A few times wife would wrestle hatch down and slam it but everything works fine!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm about to have to do this too. Mine are dying on me. They'll stay up, but I have to push the hatch up. It won't go to full extension by itself.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
whats your guess for the minimum force each strut should be? Want something inbetween the 175 and stock.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
895 Posts
whats your guess for the minimum force each strut should be? Want something inbetween the 175 and stock.
If you're just looking for an OEM strength replacement, then choose the 150 pounds model instead. OEM strength, according to AVM Industries, is 145.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shiny should get the credit for finding these parts!

My 175 lbs. are going strong but wife or kids can still close it.
Anyone in cold weather should consider these!

BTW, we should bump any old thread that's come up recently to help the nOObs! :D

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Ordered part # 9416K147 from McMaster-Carr
Gas Spring with Threaded Ends 175 Froce 18.18" Extended Leanth, 7.87" Stroke $16.32 each (X2)

Also needed (for my 08) part # 9416K79
10mm Ball Socket, M8 Therad, Steel for, Gas Spring with Threaded Ends (Need 2)

Only tool I needed was a small flat head screwdriver.

Springs $32.64 + tax + shipping= $40.25
M8 Thread ends $5.92 +.52 +4.50= $10.94

If you order all together save $4.50 in shipping (I guess)
I'm curious about the ball sockets being the same for the 05's. Any ideas?
Mine are crappin out too.. Good timing on bumping this thread.

Is that the pt# I want for my '06?
Shiny said he didn't need part # 9416K79 for his 05
Check my last pic the new threads were bigger than MY (08) ones.

Maybe prop up hatch, take off one strut, take off both ends and try to rethread the ends on the other side,
In other words try to mount your stock struts upsidedown. I couldn't because of two different thread sizes.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
replacing the struts when I got my GOBI ladder was possibly the best mod (besides the bottle opener)i've done on my truck. I was working on Neehooya's rig 2 weeks ago at stock height with stock struts and I nailed my head twice on his hatch.
Yeah the 4 inches higher is the best!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Here's what's known so far, based on feedback from forum members. (There's more info, starting at post #31, here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6419)

Strut info:

Strut force: 150 lbs (good replacement for OEM, which is 145 lbs)
Strut force: 175 lbs (perfect if you have a Gobi rear ladder, and MUCH cheaper than Gobi struts)

Ball-socket info:

2005-2006 X: no sockets needed, reuse your current sockets
2007 X: unknown, same as 2005?
2008 X: need one new pair of M8/10mm sockets, reuse other pair
2009-2010 X: unknown, same as 2008?

And yes, these are worth installing just for the added height!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did this mod today on my 09. Worked perfectly. Needed (2) M8/10mm ball sockets and the 175lb strut P/N's from this thread. I was amazed how fast the stock struts were lacking after putting the Gobi ladder on.

I'm 6'1" and these 175lb struts give so much more headroom, it'll be nice loading the bikes in now with all that extra space. For those with the Gobi already, instead of stacking boxes to hold the hatch up, I used a ratchet strap attached to the ladder and roof rack to hold it up. Thanks again for the P/N's! :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Being 6'8", the normal height of the raised hatch door never worked for me. I was in a gigging band for 2 years and hauled all of my equipment in the X. I used to have to duck under the hatch while lifting my 85lbs speaker cabinet into the X. This would kill my back. Adding the 2" lift helped, and its not so much of a pain when I am loading luggage and what not. I could still use another couple of inches though. Since I have an '05, you can imagine how bad my struts are getting. This sounds like an awesome mod.

I do have a question though...since this seems to work well for the Gobi ladder, can one assume it would work well for a custom MOLLE mounting system?

(besides the bottle opener)
Did you just put a wall mountable one into your X? Is there a thread with pics anywhere?

·
Registered
337 Posts
For future reference, I went out and measured the new height of the hatch at stock suspension height: 6'8" at the center of the hatch, and taller toward the leading edge.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I really would like to see a pic of the hinge area where the hatch meets the top of the X. The hingers aren't getting bent or anything are they? I am surprised the hatch can go up that high without something hitting around that hinge area.
Nothing appears to be rubbing or even close to rubbing

Some glare, but you can see how much higher the hatch really is!

1 - 20 of 705 Posts