Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
on line
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an avid member over at ClubXterra.org and want to participate more here, so I decided to re-post some DIYs I made over there. Hopefully they will help some guys save money by NOT going to the dealership. So without any further adieu.....

After dealing with several months of "check engine" light coming on ( My original thread on the discovery. ) and having to use my Scangauge II to turn it off after confirming it was error code P0463, I ordered my fuel level sensor for $80 from Courtsey Parts. As you can see, the price has dropped since I got mine. For some reason the dealership will not replace the little part by itself, insisting they can only fix the problem by replacing the entire fuel pump assembly for $290 + labor.

What a crock!

With no experience and very little research I was able to replace the thing in an afternoon. Here's how I did it:

1) First get most of the gas out of your tank (because you'll need it to be as light as possible) and remove the spare tire and jack up the left side of your Xterra so you'll have room to work.

2) Then you remove the skidplate if your Xterra has them. If you need directions on taking that off, I recommend you have somebody else do the operation for you because you obviously have zero intuitive ability. It's that easy.

3) Then remove your fuel pump fuse while the truck is running. This disables the pump and allows the engine to suck gas out of the lines until there is no pressure left in the lines. When the engine stalls, remove the positive battery cable to avoid risk of a short while you work.

4) Loosen all 3 bolts that hold the tank straps to the frame.

The rear strap has 1 bolt and a hook and the front has 2 bolts. Here's the hook.

5) Use a floor jack, some bricks or a buddy to hold the rear end of the tank up while you remove the bolts, because you don't want to let the tank dangle from the plumbing and wires that attach to the top of the tank near the back of it.

6) Lower the front of the tank to the ground and carefully disconnect the plumbing bits and the wire harness. Here's the tube that fills the tank up.

There's two gas lines like this to disconnect, one on top of the tank and one out the back near the filler tube.

Another tube....

Don't break the clip that holds that last tube on. :(

7) Once you're sure everything's disconnected, lower your tank all the way down.

8) I forgot to buy the special Nissan fuel pump remover spanner thingy and had to carefully bang the assembly with a screwdriver and hammer. One hit per notch all the way around several times loosened it up enough to get it off. Had to put it back on the same way.

9) I didn't take a pic of the pump coming out because I got gas all over my hands, but it popped out easily and the fuel level gauge was very easy to remove. The gauge slides into the side of the pump and the wire harness pops right in along with that little black nub you see dangling at the end of a wire there. Super easy to eyeball. Here's the new part.

10) Put everything back the way you found it. Easy-peasy.

The only problem I encountered other than the busted clip was a stripped out nut that holds the front tank strap on. I suspect the stripping occurred when the truck was made because I had a tough time getting the bolt out when I first tried to take it out. This guy right here...

With the skid plate back on it's secure, but I will definitely get that re-threaded because I suspect a secure gas tank is probably important. Call me crazy. I also intend to get another little clip, but I stuck the two halves where they came from and gave them a good tug. They feel like their not going anywhere.

Oh yea, try and not get any dirt in your tank or any of the open hoses. Maybe spray the underside of your truck off with a high pressure water hose to dislodge stuff before you start working.

I took her for a nice long drive, filled up the tank at my station, and everything works fine. No more sluggish fuel gauge readings and no more "check engine" light. All for the bargain price of a new part and a few hours in the garage. There you have it! One fuel level sensor replaced.

:)

·
on line
692 Posts
Uh yah...i broke that last clip...only becuase it was a PITA to get off. I just shoved that thing back in there and zip tied it super tight.

Im pretty sure it was just the vapor recovery tube.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
You are a God send. I just read this error on my scangauge and was hopping someone had a write up on how to change it. thanks you!

·
on line
423 Posts
Did anyone not break the clip? I think the new tube that has the replacement clip was like $20-$30 so I electrical taped mine in. I wonder if its still there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mine just went at 87,750 miles, not sure if I really want to tackle this, but looks easy enough and cheap enough. Maybe in the spring.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Well, I feel lucky...punk.

119K miles...down for the count. Replacing the unit today (at 135K, yeah I put the "pro" in "pro-crastination" with Arch'sX.

Great write up, I have referenced it until it is burned in my brain. :bounce:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Well, Arch'sX and I did this replacement in 90 minutes (NewX record time I am told) AND we didn't break either clip!

Damage was incurred to Marc's house though, as "we" forgot to remove Hi-Lift before entering the repair bay. :geek:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts