Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My X had been randomly stalling at low RPMs (generally coasting to stop lights) once a week for about a month. Could not figure out the problem and no codes were being thrown.

I had had the IPDM Relay Recall performed as a first step in troubleshooting. If you are having this same issue, try that first. Its free and takes an hour at the dealer.

Finally got code P0335 thrown. Which means Crankshaft Position Sensor fault. Hurray. Here is how to do it. Credit to this YouTube video for assistance. Will take maybe 30-45 minutes to complete, if that.

Things Needed:
- 10mm Socket
- Flathead Screwdrive
- Phillips Head Screwdriver
- Jack and Stands
- New Sensor*

*So on many Auto Parts sites, searching for crankshaft position sensor, will bring up two parts usually. Both labelled Crankshaft Position Sensor. But only one is actually the real one. The other is the camshaft position sensor and is about $60. The Crankshaft position sensor is about $20.

This is a picture of the crankshaft position sensor on the left, and the camshaft position sensor I accidentally bought on the right.

Here is a picture of the crankshaft sensor by itself.

Alright on with it.

1. Let the engine cool down. You will most likely end up touching the engine or the catalytic converter while doing this. Obviously both get hot, proceed with caution.

2. Jack up the X, and remove the front Passenger side wheel. The sensor is on the Passenger side behind the wheel.

3. Use the Phillips head to remove the cowl from the wheel well. 10 screws I believe.

Here is the sensor. Under that rubber gasket.

4. Pull back the rubber gasket gently. This will expose the sensor and bolt.

5. Remove wiring harness from sensor. Flathead will do the trick.

6. Remove the bolt. 10mm socket worked. I used a small extension to break the bolt loose with a wrench, but after that I could hand loosen it. If you drop the bolt it will fall to the ground. Doesn't appear to be anything weird in there to trap it.

7. Remove sensor.

8. Put new sensor back in place. Tighten bolt back. Reattach wiring harness. recover with gasket.

9. Put the cowl back in the wheel well.

10. Reattach wheel.

11. Beer :eek:ccasion5: for saving about $200 in parts and labor.

·
Registered
128 Posts
OP, all this time later, your "How To" is still helping people! Because I didn't have to spend time figuring everything out, I was done much faster. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
896 Posts
FYI- looks like the wiring clip goes the opposite direction on the new sensor

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just did this, so easy. Took me about 30 mins. I was able to get at it without removing the fender liner and doing the wrenching with an extension from the top.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial, another happy customer here! I also ended up just going in from the top. I was amazed at all the terrible symptoms that just stopped completely after changing this part.

One question: I ordered the Nissan genuine part and it had a silver plating over the part that goes in (looked just like the attachment). Did anyone else get a replacement like that and/or know what the deal is? I assume it's some kind of upgrade over the original.

Oh also the old sensor has a lot of metal shavings stuck to it, is that normal/ok or a sign of something bad happening that I need to deal with?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Oh also the old sensor has a lot of metal shavings stuck to it, is that normal/ok or a sign of something bad happening that I need to deal with?
That could be a part redesign, was it removable? JW if it was a protective shipping cover or something. I had a few shavings on mine when I pulled it to replace the o-ring (it doesn't use one I discovered) so probably not a big deal as long as it wasn't covered in them.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
896 Posts
Thanks for the tutorial, another happy customer here! I also ended up just going in from the top. I was amazed at all the terrible symptoms that just stopped completely after changing this part.

One question: I ordered the Nissan genuine part and it had a silver plating over the part that goes in (looked just like the attachment). Did anyone else get a replacement like that and/or know what the deal is? I assume it's some kind of upgrade over the original.

Mine was the same way, I think this was discussed another thread can't remember where I read it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
545 Posts
Yeah, the newest revised version of the crankshaft position sensor has a metal sleeve over the part that goes into the engine. The newest version of camshaft position sensors do, as well.

Given my history with aftermarket sensors and other members' as well, I would HIGHLY advise, nay, implore you to get the OEM sensors. They may be a bit pricier, but they will outlast ALL of those you will find on Amazon, eBay, or car parts stores. I had camshaft sensors fail after 6 months from NAPA.

BTW, thanks for the tutorial OP from years ago! This will help A LOT of people getting ready to do this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the how-to, I just followed it to replace the crankshaft sensor in my 2006 X with 140K miles. The truck's running great with a new Nissan sensor. Hoping to get some opinions on the sensor I took out. It's the black plastic rectangle version, but it has a halfway peeled off sticker on the business end of the sensor that says "CVC 04.19.16 DA50LS". I haven't seen anyone mention finding the sensor installed with a sticker on it. Google comes up with nothing from what's on the sticker. I'm wondering whether it came like that from the factory or if it was a bad piece of work by the previous owner (also whether I'm lucky I replaced it before the sticker fell off and went somewhere it doesn't belong). I bought the truck used with 60K miles on it when it was 5 or 6 years old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts