Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This was brought to my attention by 08XOR and I just figured I would put the info out there.

First off whatever the Diff Breather is made out of is hard as sh!t, I would highly recommend new bits and stepping up from small to your final diameter. This was done on a M205 but the same should work for the R180 but I can confirm that later.

Items Needed:

• 1-Husky 5-Piece Hose Repair Kit; Model # HDA40700AV from home depot (the reason I went with this kit rather than just the barbed fitting was it included hose clamps and was practically the same price of the individual fitting in plumbing).
  • 1/4" 18NPT Tap
  • 13/32 Drill Bit.

Recommended Tools:

• High Power Plug in type Drill
  • Dremel w/Cutting/Grinding Discs
  • T-handle Tap Wrench or a 11 MM Open End Wrench
  • S.A.E. Sockets

1. Take a paper towel and shove it in under the Breather hole so it will catch as many as the metal flakes as possible. You can use a piece of Duct Tape to cover the interior hole but you will punch through it and have to replace each time, but it does still help.
  2. Take a Dremel with the Cutting Disc and cut what is left of the barb off the Differential and grind it down to make a flat, clean surface.
  3. Start with a smaller Drill Bit and step up one bit at a time until you are using the final Bit (13/32). You want to use some sort of Cutting Lubricant on the Drill Bits and do it in shorter intervals as to not destroy the Bits.
  4. Take your Tap and make sure you start it straight in the Aluminum Housing. Go all the way down until you can see the Tap on the inside of the Case.
  5. Clean the Case thoroughly trying to get all the debris out. Use some RTV and install the barbed fitting with a larger S.A.E. Socket (size evades me).
  6. Clean old RTV off the case and cover, apply a 3/8" bead on the Case and Torque bolts to 19ft/lbs in a Star Pattern.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
That is a great solution!

Had a similar problem with my back up R180. The Diff Tube Breather was gone from the case when I bought it used.

Knightrider and I went to Napa, bought a hard Brake Line (6mm outside diameter), cut to length, and tapped into the hole with a dead blow Hammer.

Voila! See pics below:

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Thanks for the info! I just repaired my r180 using the Brake Line Method. I Drilled out the old Breather with a 1/4" Bit until it fell out (about 1/2 way through). Then pressed in 1/4" Brake Line using some JB Weld to make sure it doesn't come back out. The piece that l used was 1-3/4" long and I pressed it in so there was 1" exposed - it turned out great.

Some pictures:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Any chance we can get the photos for this thread "resurrected", Old Navy? I'm in need of doing this exact repair to a used R180 I just picked up. Visuals for reference would be of great help. Thank you!

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
You asked for it and it is Done! All Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this thread!

Reactions: brokefoot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice to see a thread with photos that aren't blotted out.

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
Yep, this one gave me a break from the one I've been working on for the past 2 days with 85 photos and I'm about 60% done with that one.

Reactions: brokefoot
1 - 9 of 9 Posts