Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
maybe i just don't fully understand this, but does the screen roll up from the inside or out? the velcro is facing outward right?
trying to figure out whether or not i should do this...
how does the screen itself velcro back to the X? it doesn't look as though there's velcro on the screen...maybe i'm just blind

·
Administrator
19,406 Posts
Your Wish is my Command - All (13) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
macguyvermedic i can't pm you bc i'm new on here, i'm trying to understand the instructions i want to make your rear hatch screen, can you help me? apparently i can't figure it out ugh

i think one side of the velcro adheres to the vehicle, the other side of the velcro to the screen, but where does the weatherstrip adhesive come into play?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
macguyvermedic i can't pm you bc i'm new on here, i'm trying to understand the instructions i want to make your rear hatch screen, can you help me? apparently i can't figure it out ugh

i think one side of the velcro adheres to the vehicle, the other side of the velcro to the screen, but where does the weatherstrip adhesive come into play?

thanks!
I believe it is to help bond the screen to the other side of the Velcro that sticks to the screen?

So you would have Soft "Loop" Velcro taped to the vehicle, the Harder "Hook" Velcro stuck to the screen, the screen, and then a layer of adhesive from the other side (filling the holes if you will) and creating an outer layer.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts

thanks!
I had the SAME question posted in January right above your post. that part was confusing and I wasn't sure either. Hope OP chimes in.

I believe it is to help bond the screen to the other side of the Velcro that sticks to the screen?

So you would have Soft "Loop" Velcro taped to the vehicle, the Harder "Hook" Velcro stuck to the screen, the screen, and then a layer of adhesive from the other side (filling the holes if you will) and creating an outer layer.

That was also confusing. I got all of what you were saying until the "then a layer of adhesive from the other side (filling the holes if you will) and creating an outer layer." part.

·
Some random dude
353 Posts
As Kilo said, it looks like you use the 3M to improve the bond of the velcro to the screen.

The velcro adhesive probably doesn't bond to the mesh screen very well with the holes, so the 3M takes care of that. Basically, you stick screen to velcro, then apply 3M from the other side (on the screen, opposite side of the velcro) to flood the holes. Since the 3M is a rubbery glue, it creates a layer that the velcro can bond to through the screen. Otherwise, you would just pull the screen off the velcro when you opened it up, as opposed to separating the hooks and loops.

·
Registered
18 Posts

thanks!
Thank you KiloSierra ZheKing and Meisanerd 🙏🏼 I was thinking the weatherstrip adhesive was in tape / roll form bc that’s what the guys at Home Depot and OSH showed me, until Dr Google and I figured out it was a tube of glue! Now I get it!

So I haven’t made the hatch screen yet, but I did make my rear window screens using the 3M and I’m super stoked how they turned out- gonna use them on next weeks trip! I can hear the crickets now 🦗

·
Registered
90 Posts
So first of all, this is a great idea. I just made an attempt at doing this and I can't get the velcro to stick to the mesh on the screen. I may have missed it, but did you sandwich the mesh between the velcro and something else? It may also be the case that it's 130 degrees in my truck right now so nothing is solidifying yet. I let it hang loose from the top and I'm gonna revisit the whole thing when it cools down.

Also: I gathered that the weather stripping adhesive is for use to basically "glue" the velcro to the plastic panels, but I think the mesh I'm using is too porous. Either way, I got a nice cut and fit for the screen, and if worse comes to worse I can go back to my original plan of using magnets like I'm doing on my window screens. Thank you for posting this up!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts