Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I had some extra screen siting around after replacing a few on our house and figured why not make a mod out of it. :)

COST:
- $15.00 if you have the Adhesive
- $20.00 if you don’t

SUPPLIES:
- 36”x60” piece of Screen
- 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive
- 10’ of ¼” Adhesive backed Velcro
- Razor Blade
- Acetone or Alcohol for preparing Plastics

STEP 1: PREP
- Clean about 1” in around your entire Lift Gate Weather Seal

STEP 2: APPLYING VELCRO
- Apply the Fuzzy side to your Plastic Body Panel;

STEP 3: PREPPING YOUR SCREEN
- Take you piece of Screen, Center it over the Rear Hatch access, leave about 2” of excess above the top Weather Seal, then use Tape to hold it in place across the top.

STEP 4: MOUNTING THE SCREEN
- Remove the Adhesive Backing on the Velcro
- Start from either top corner and press the Screen against the Velcro;

- Take your 3M Weather Stripping Adhesive and apply to the edges of the Screen. This stuff is amazingly strong and sticky so take your time. It is also very quick drying so don’t take too much time. :)
- Let it dry for about 15 Minutes
- Use your Razor Blade to trim it down to size but make sure to leave the excess at the top;

- It should look like this when your done;

STEP 5: INSTALLING THE SCREEN
- Put your Screen back on if you took it off and it should look like this at the top;

- Pull the Weather Stripping back and stuff the remaining Screen in to the void between you Headliner and Body;

- Finished Product;

STEP 6: ENJOY
- Stand back and enjoy you work of art.

The really nice part about tucking it into your Weather Stripping is that it allows you to roll it up when not in use. I considered using the Velcro to adhere to the Headliner, but I think it would probably trash it from the Velcro being pulled on and off.

Screen Rolled Up:

From The Inside:

I can’t wait to test this baby out at nXm. Its gonna suck a whole hell of a lot less sleeping in the back with the added ventilation. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

James

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What type of Screen material did you use? This is really awesome. No reasonwhy this couldn't be done for the 1st Gen as well.
I used the dark grey fiberglass screen from the local box store. I considered using the reinforced pet style but it was to stiff and 4x the price.

Sent from the Situation Room

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude, nicely done! That is awesome! I love how it rolls up when not in use. Very cool indeed. Sorry to somewhat threadjack, but what kind of box is that in the back and where did you get it? Thanks.
Thanks.
The box is made by Plano. I picked it up for $20.00 on sale at HD. I went back and forth between this and the Contico which was twice as much and lacked the hooks on the side to secure it down.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ Nice job my friend. I really like your rendition of the front window screens.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awsome mod !! i think this is going to be my next project !!
Thanks. :) Also, thank you to everybody else for all of the compliments.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Thanks.
The box is made by Plano. I picked it up for $20.00 on sale at HD. I went back and forth between this and the Contico which was twice as much and lacked the hooks on the side to secure it down.

Thanks. I just bought it. It is a Plano model 1819 and it was $25 (not on-sale) at Home Depot. Thank you for the info on it man! Much appreciated. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. I just bought it. It is a Plano model 1819 and it was $25 (not on-sale) at Home Depot. Thank you for the info on it man! Much appreciated. :eek:ccasion5:
No problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts