Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Here is a completely free, and completely awesome mod that you can do in under 5 minutes!

I wanted to be able to open my rear hatch from inside for sleeping in the X, or easy exit if stuck in a deep mud hole etc... I do not see an actual How To on this, so I'm making one.

Now that I have done the legwork and figured it out as well as took measurements, you can do this mod in under 5 minutes!!!!

You don't even need to take apart the rear hatch. Just grab a tape measure, a pen or marker, and a hole saw (anywhere between 1" to 1.25" is about right). Measure from the edge of the plastic 8.75" in from the left, and 6.5" up from the bottom. Mark the spot and drill it with a hole saw. Your done!

Sticking your finger in the hole, you will be hitting a nice flat edge of the door handle. Push it and the handle works just like you were outside the Xterra pulling up on the handle. And your out! 16 second video demonstration included.

Step 1: Measure and mark with pen or marker

Step 2: Cut with hole saw (1" to 1.25" is about right for normal man size fingers)

Step 3: Your done. Wow that was quick and easy!

16 second video demonstration:

When you stick your finger in the hole, you are pushing on this flat spot to work the handle: (these next 2 photos are courtesy of member Dpatton)

Optional: You DO NOT need to do any of the following things!
However, If you want to disassemble the door because...
a.) You don't trust my measurements
b.) You want to see the inside cause your curious
c.) You want to add a black rubber glove to be cool like me or,
d.) You just want to know how for a different mod or purpose

Here was the legwork:

There are only 4 screws that hold the rear panel on. Remove first aid kit, there are 2 screws behind it, the other two are holding the grab handle on. After you remove the 4 screws, gently pull the panel directly away from the hatch, it will snap off.

My measurements:

I stuck a black rubber glove on just cause it was already apart, but there is really no need to take it apart to do this. You can just leave it all assembled drill the hole and be done.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Very nice ... I think Jimbo did somethink like this, but adapted one of the sedan emergency trunk opening kits to work. I remember some discussion on it at some point.

Reactions: Wetfeet

·
on line
2,306 Posts

You have the high-res of this one? Or a good shot of the mechanism as seen from the inside?

This will prove really handy for those who have the hatch tent, and drop their shoes down into the tent before shutting the hatch for the night (on cold nights). It would have saved me a walk around the vehicle in my socks more than once... haha

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Very nice ... I think Jimbo did somethink like this, but adapted one of the sedan emergency trunk opening kits to work. I remember some discussion on it at some point.
Here are all the threads that have "touched" on the idea:

Lift Gate Leak;
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1116
Rear Hatch Door Question;
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4883
Power Unlocking Rear Hatch;
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5738
Opening the Liftgate From the Inside.. Is There a Way?
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7932

None of them actually get anywhere or actually identify "How To" do it. Trust me, I dug around here for days before I finally decided F' it, I'm gonna tear it apart, figure how to do it, and post a "How To" thread. ;)

·
on line
10,980 Posts
somethink ... sheesh, who's that guy ... should have been something.

Thanks for the links S&S

·
on line
510 Posts
How far in do you have to put your finger? and then how much farther do you have to push until the door opens? Do you just push in the same line or do you push downward? How much force is required? It seemed to be surprisingly little.

I may do the mod exactly as described, but I'd love to install something more toward the button or lever end of the spectrum. Of course, that may not be worth the hassle.

Thanks for leading the way.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How far in do you have to put your finger? and then how much farther do you have to push until the door opens? Do you just push in the same line or do you push downward? How much force is required? It seemed to be surprisingly little.
The flat part that you push is 1.5" deep inside the hole. You push it straight back about 1" before the latch opens. To explain the force needed, grab your back hatch handle and pull. That is the exact force needed, except you will push rather than pull.

Thanks for leading the way.
No problem. :eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
112 Posts
I may do the mod exactly as described, but I'd love to install something more toward the button or lever end of the spectrum.
Make sure the button has a cover . . . Load shifts, load makes an emergency exit out the back!

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Excellent. I was seriously planning to do this soon - and WAS wondering what the measurements were w/o pulling the panel. This is great..

I'd like to find a flat, low profile plug or cap to pop in that hole when not in use. Remove it for the camping/fishing overnight trips.

So, about how thick do you think that panel is you drilled? Thinking about the cap/plug idea.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Great idea! :thumbup: Thanks for the info. I definately will be doing this. I'll probably pick up a rubber plug from the auto parts...for times when the latch isn't needed.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
did it! thats friggin cool!

now i just need to teach my dog to open the hatch from the inside too... easy load and unload!

-travis
Glad to help and glad to see it working smooth for others. :eek:ccasion5:

So, about how thick do you think that panel is you drilled? Thinking about the cap/plug idea.
The plastic panel is 1/8" thick.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts