Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
1,574 Posts
OK. this was easy at times, but hard at times. but that's like all projects.
i started out with installing the K&N. i love it, sounds and looks great.

okay, here was my plan
running a plastic tube from the grille to the intake box.
not finding a good cheep plastic tube, i went with a metal dryer duct pipe. $10 at ACE. i would still use plastic if i had a chance. the metal was weak, and fragile. it only made things more frustrating.. but my dad and i got to work

here are the main parts

i added a vacuum part to make a wider opening for the end, scooping up more air. i put two layers of double sided tape to built up the thickness for a better fit.

first, we had to remove the plastic shield thing to the right of the air radiator opening to allow the pipe to get through

okay, i wanted the tube directly into the heat shield for maximum air flow.
this was surprisingly easy.
using a compass, i drew a 1 5/8" radii circle.

then drilled relief holes inside of the circle

then used a jigsaw with a metal blade and cut out the circle

then using a metal file, filed the cut

then, i used the factory rubber hose thing from the OEM intake, then stuck it through

ok, now for the frustrating part, running the hose. it really sucked because of the fragileness of the duct pipe.
but i duct taped the ends (duct + duct, it was just ment t work)
then put the ducted duct end into the rubber tube, and clamped down.
then reinstalled the heat shield and filter.

*example*

then installed the vacuum part and clamped it down
then hung it by drilling a hole in the plastic above the radiator, and top of the vac part, then zip-typed it. worked perfectly

after a few cuts and bleeding, which you can probably see in a few pics, its in. haven't driven yet, but by just blowing air through it by mouth, it seems like itll make a huge difference.

the only things i would have done differntly was to use a plastic tube, and relocate the hole to the corner, or other side.

·
on line
266 Posts
if you dont have fog lights have you thought about running the vac duct to one of the fog light openings so you dont need to use that vacuum attachment?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
just a thought, but would this be more of a cold-air intake style mod?

ram-air is designed with short tube to the intake manifold to increase the air pressure through the vehicle's motion thus allowing for a greater flow of air into the engine

cold-air is designed to pull cooler air into the intake manifold allowing the vehicle to run at a slightly cooler temperature and is slightly less dependent on the length of the intake (as in it doesn't have to be as short as a ram-air would...nor is it since it's going a farther distance to cooler air).

just my take, nice mod none the less, i'd be interested to see if there is an increase in performance or decrease in engine running temperature.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Nice How to! You get a A! But If you swap that K&N over to an Amsoil new technology no cleaning fussing and oiling filter that really filters the Air and allows more flow.......You'd get an A+. http://www.amsoil.com/ Seriously, K&N is not good for OR or Daily diver, Great on Race day!
That is a super great write up with great pictures! Outstanding!
MC

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cook:
i have thought about that, but i would like that cap on the bumper so it wont look like hell. i actually did that on my old 84' stang. but that looked bad-ass. but i was going for cleanliness, and stealth here. and the vac was just to make a wider scoop for more SA to bring in the air.

willg:
i guess your right with the name. but everyone has called this ram-air in the past, so i just went with that. the title makes since, ramming air into the intake, but your right. this isn't a '77 camaro

USMC:
i love you. thanks for the grading. i wish i could get that in high school. but i treat my X like everyday is race day. (sorry moderators)
but i also love the sucking air sound. i don't believe it will hurt the performance any. but thanks a lot for thoughts

Shadow:
i was looking for that part. i saw you mentioned it before on Dragons post. i called NAPA and they said they have nothing even close to that. but they've always been dicks to me. so if i find that part, i am would deff consider swapping that in there. looks like much better airflow, and looks better too

thanks again guys. hope i have helped people.
cam

·
on line
874 Posts
I wish I had room to do this....o well, I have HID instead....

·
on line
874 Posts
yea...there is maybe 1/4 inch spac between the dirverside light and the airaid intake... the retro fit sticks out past the stock housing and I can barel get the power cable on toe light when its in....and on the 2007 the horns are blelow the light so the ballast is on the side of the air box...

·
on line
169 Posts
Is there is any info on performace increase by doing this?

Also would water from rain/off roading pose any concern?

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
off roading i would put something, like a shower cap, over the tube just to keep large chunks of mudd out. but i have driven in the rain several times, terenchal down poor on the highway, then poped my hood and felt the filter. the filter and tube were bone dry.

·
on line
30 Posts
I would be afraid of running something up front and lower like that with a true offroad machine especially if you were to go over low water crossings or something similar. nice install though

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i had the same thought, but when i went mudding, i put a shower cap over it, (sounds stupid but it worked). also i have driven through several inches of mud, it splashed the indide, but even in the rain, nothing has travled up the extensive curves of the hose.

·
on line
443 Posts
has it helped with speed or mph or sound?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts