Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Properly Use Search; Before Creating a New Thread

16K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Longboardr 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How-to: Properly Use Search; Before Creating a New Thread

There have been many new threads started regarding topics that have been covered on numerous occasions. I am most probably guilty of doing so myself. This thread is simply a way to help the less fortunate and show them how to easily and properly search for what they are looking for before creating a new thread. There is a ton of information on this website and more than not it is pretty hard to find what one is looking for, especially when you are newer to the site.

#1 - General Search Function

The general search function is located on the lower header menu. It is limited to a general search of the site and can either show "threads" or "posts" containing the searched keywords.

#2 - Advanced Search Function

The advanced search function can be accessed by the clicking "Search" > "Advanced Search". Within the advanced search page there are many different criteria which one can fill out in order to better pin point their search results with which what they are searching for. The list goes on for how the advanced search function can be used but one of the most favorable functions in the advanced search section is the ability to "Search Titles Only". This function is located on the top left hand section of the advanced search page.

#3 - Google Search Function

A third method for searching is by using google. All though using google may bring you to sites other than thenewx.org. However if you google search "site:thenewx.org [your search keywords]" thenewx.org will be the first set of results with a link "More results from thenewx.org »"... Or you can use thenewx.org google search engine linked here. - Link

#4 - Last Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangars
From what I noticed the fastest and most efficient way to search is to post what ever question you have off the top of your head, and soon someone will post all the previous threads.

Humor: Posting and You;
If there is something to add please let me know.

Happy Searching...

See less See more
1 3
#7 ·
I have added #4 for your amusement...

#4 - Last Resort

From what I noticed the fastest and most efficient way to search is to post what ever question you have off the top of your head, and soon someone will post all the previous threads.

#12 ·
@ Old Navy - I do agree this thread has been moved to the appropriate section (which I actually had no idea even existed) "Site Questions, Comments or Problems". However I feel most will not stumble upon this thread and this info will be of no help to many. Especially to the newly joining members which this will be of most use to. That is why I had originally posted it in the "General Xterra" section which is where many of the newer members surf, and where most new threads are generated.

#15 ·
Well, right now the "General Xterra' Forum has too many Sticky's and it could get lost among all the others, so I moved it to the "Site Questions, Comments or Problems" Forum. But, like you said, you might run into the same problem there, so I tried another move to the "Welcome Center" Forum and I'll add it to my Welcome Onboard Post as eagle1007 suggested.

#19 ·
Try this...

#3 - Google Search Function

A third method for searching is by using google. All though using google may bring you to sites other than thenewx.org. However if you google search "thenewx.org [your search keywords]" thenewx.org will be the first set of results with a link "More results from thenewx.org »"... Or you can use thenewx.org google search engine linked here. - Link

#25 ·
Recently joined and have been surfing/acclimating myself to the site. Reading this how to thread for proper searching I find the advanced search, and the google search but do not find the "General Search" function. My screen does not look like the one included in this post. Can someone assist a noobie?

#28 ·
I do the site:thenewx.org in a Google search for everything except when I want to search within only a user name or when I want to search by title only. I go into a advance search on this site when I'm looking for either of those things.

Reactions: caain
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.