Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
After a PM from MacGuyverMedic, he put me on the right path to wire up a Relay using the Switched Dash Cig Outlet. That would force you to have the Key in for the Fogs to Turn 'ON'. Turns out for his Mod (OP), both of the wires you are running are Grounds, and at least for the Ground that is in My Steering Column area, this is working. Other than routing, I followed his pictorial to the T.

Here's what I did to add my Relay.
Removed the knee panel - Requires a few Side Moldings moved also.
This forces you to Unplug the Wiring Harness for Mirror Control Adjuster.
There it is on the left.

That got me thinking, whenever we turn on the Headlights (or Parking Lights), the Dash Lights Up. Since my Relay is only Controlling a Ground, here's what I found out.

Pin #8 on the Mirror Harness is the Stalk Light Switched Power. It's Red, (There are 2, so count. It's in the corner next to Brown for me.)

12V Power that only comes "ON" when either Parking Lights or Headlights are chosen.

Best part is that Circuit is hooked up to the Battery Saving Relay Buried somewhere. I tested this out before and after wiring to check and I attached my Relay here.

Relay Pin Out:
86- Mirror Power tapped from Pin #8 - Simple T Tap
85- Ground for above
30- either side of cut black Wire from pictorial (OP)
87- other side of black Wire.

I Grounded them here. That happens to be the Hood Release Cord Mount.

And while with the OP you can make this picture, my Fogs are now Controlled by the Parking/Headlights Switched on and the Foglight Selector obviously on. I set them on, stood back, and after the 5 minute Battery Saver Timer, everything Shut 'OFF'. I can now use them on Parking, Low, and High, but not independently. Fine with me.

Thanks to MacGuyverMedic for the OP and the pm to get me here.
A few questions for clarification since there aren't many bypass posts surviving for the 2007 era of X's and i'm nowhere near being well versed on electrical tinkering ..

So going this route avoids punching through the firewall and modding the fuse box, correct? Allows for the stalk to control the fog lights independent of what the headlights are set to as long as they are on in some form?

Could the steps quoted above be explained in more layman's terms. For reference on my electrical skill set, i'm buying my first soldering gun on amazon after this posting.

·
Registered
556 Posts
not meaning to be annoying. after some reading and facebook inquiring, do i understand the ALTERNATIVE bypass method described in post 50

so, after modifying the new stalk for my 07 S, am i correct when i summarize this bypass as such:

check mirror harness pin 8 for voltage

T tap wire from pin 8 on the mirror plug and run new tapped wire into pin 86 on the relay?

85 is an independent ground wire that runs from the relay to the hood latch as a ground?

Pin 30 is one of the wires that was soldered on to stalk

Pin 87 is the other wire that is soldered on to the stalk?

All I will need:
18-20 gauge wire for wires coming from stalk, wires coming from t tap, and wire that grounds to hood latch?
4-5 male connectors (depending on type of t tap) possibly 1 for tap, 4 to attach to relay
1 female connector for hood latch ground.
some shrink wraps
and a spst relay

also, just want to confirm that i only need to ground 1 wire, from 85 on the relay, to the hood latch? there seems to be two in his photo but he states 1 wire.

and there aren't any other wires that need to be ran from/to the ipdm, battery, or etc?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Came Across a Silver 2005 SE in the junkyard yesterday that someone had done this mod too. I went to pull the headlight/ Foglight switch and was surprised to find extra wires coming out.

It was obviously owned by someone that was a member here or just a lurker. Also had the D ring mod in the back.

Attachments

·
TNX Administrator
20,476 Posts
All Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Update:

This only works with the older white IPDM's.

Placing this here to help clear up the confusion that happens when you read through this how-to. The OP did a great job on the original mod and someone else refined it further so the truck key controls the fog light power and you won't kill your battery accidentally.

Using this diagram will let you turn on your fog lights with the parking lights on, low beams on, or high beams on. If you turn off the truck, remove the key and leave the headlights/fogs on after 5 minutes the auto power off will turn them off for you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice job with the pictures ... so can you clarify what you're doing here? Does this change the fog light relay's trigger from one that's only available when the low beams are on, to one that's available whenever?

What I like about that M.O. over the 'fuse-tap hard wire' method, is that you maintain full control over fog light power; and don't require that they be on when the parking lights are on.
Can somebody help me! I want to be sure before i soldered in on the relay! The relay you pull, on my truck as the mention 15A HORN/ALT is it supposed to be this one? The second relay at the top starting at your left, just beside the red/white wire.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Placing this here to help clear up the confusion that happens when you read through this how-to. The OP did a great job on the original mod and someone else refined it further so the truck key controls the fog light power and you won't kill your battery accidentally.

Using this diagram will let you turn on your fog lights with the parking lights on, low beams on, or high beams on. If you turn off the truck, remove the key and leave the headlights/fogs on after 5 minutes the auto power off will turn them off for you.

When you said to connect to IPDM relay, check my post #68, i just one make sure is the good one 15A HORN/ALT like shown in the picture.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,155 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Is there one that does?
I found that out when I was replacing mine with the newer modules and didn't have the time to look much into it but there's probably something that could make it work. I ended up just removing the tap on the IPDM and connecting a relay that's triggered by the high beams.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That isn't the dreaded "White" IPDM is it?o_O
I really dont know if is the old white one or the new one. I dont know what the other one look likes... That why im lost! I already solder the part on the lever, just need to finish the installation, i have my 2x 5ft of wire in loom, but i stop there until i know more. I prefer using a relay if possible, but dont know for sure where witch relay in IPDM is the good one.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,155 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I’m confused. Does this let you use the fogs by themselves?
No sadly that function is gone for right now. I think what I'm going to end up doing is using the fog light stalk wiring as a switched ground so they can be turned off while the headlights are on.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I really dont know if is the old white one or the new one. I dont know what the other one look likes... That why im lost! I already solder the part on the lever, just need to finish the installation, i have my 2x 5ft of wire in loom, but i stop there until i know more. I prefer using a relay if possible, but dont know for sure where witch relay in IPDM is the good one.

View attachment 137768

That's the older white one. On the newer 'black' IPDM's the fog light circuit is integrated and that's why this mod doesn't work on them. Check out this guide with pics for help with yours: How-to: Pictorial Guide for the Fog Light Bypass MOD - PBR

·
Registered
89 Posts
61 - 79 of 79 Posts