Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
i love this mod but what i hate about it is that i keep leaving the fogs on when i get out of the X. haha
Not a problem. Feed the 12V side of a relay coil from the ACC (switched) 12V or you can use the side marker lights as the 12v source since that is already out in the engine compartment and in the right area. The fog lights go off any time you shut off the car.

As for use; I sometimes use the fog with the headlights, but mainly they are for use in heavy fog and I use them instead of the headlights.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sorry about the delay. I will try to post up a solution by tonight. If not tonight I will definitely have one up by tomorrow night.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here is how I wired it with my OTRATTW switch:

Dashed line is when the switch is off (NC) and the solid line is when the switch is on (NO)

You feed the relay with the 12v from the side marker lights or the accessory/switched 12v from the dash area. Other end of the relay coil is grounded. That way the fog lights go off when the car is turned off or when the lights are turned off depending on how you want it to work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
After a PM from MacGuyverMedic, he put me on the right path to wire up a Relay using the Switched Dash Cig Outlet. That would force you to have the Key in for the Fogs to Turn 'ON'. Turns out for his Mod (OP), both of the wires you are running are Grounds, and at least for the Ground that is in My Steering Column area, this is working. Other than routing, I followed his pictorial to the T.

Here's what I did to add my Relay.
Removed the knee panel - Requires a few Side Moldings moved also.
This forces you to Unplug the Wiring Harness for Mirror Control Adjuster.
There it is on the left.

That got me thinking, whenever we turn on the Headlights (or Parking Lights), the Dash Lights Up. Since my Relay is only Controlling a Ground, here's what I found out.

Pin #8 on the Mirror Harness is the Stalk Light Switched Power. It's Red, (There are 2, so count. It's in the corner next to Brown for me.)

12V Power that only comes "ON" when either Parking Lights or Headlights are chosen.

Best part is that Circuit is hooked up to the Battery Saving Relay Buried somewhere. I tested this out before and after wiring to check and I attached my Relay here.

Relay Pin Out:
86- Mirror Power tapped from Pin #8 - Simple T Tap
85- Ground for above
30- either side of cut black Wire from pictorial (OP)
87- other side of black Wire.

I Grounded them here. That happens to be the Hood Release Cord Mount.

And while with the OP you can make this picture, my Fogs are now Controlled by the Parking/Headlights Switched on and the Foglight Selector obviously on. I set them on, stood back, and after the 5 minute Battery Saver Timer, everything Shut 'OFF'. I can now use them on Parking, Low, and High, but not independently. Fine with me.

Thanks to MacGuyverMedic for the OP and the pm to get me here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot, but is there a How-to for the hard-wire fuse method? I've done that in another car of mine and it has worked fine. Would rather try it that way before doing all this due to not having that much time.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just finished this. Thanks for the pics. They helped a lot.
Hardest part was getting the wire through the firewall...

·
Registered
153 Posts
2014 pro4x is different?

Nice write-up, trying to do this mod, but been stopped right away by one simple thing - my ipdm panel looks so different.
Which relay I need? Anybody has any idea? They not marked.:frown: Any help appreciated.
DSC_0144.jpg
DSC_0144.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
It does look like the 2011 IPDM layout is indeed different, and that the fog light relay is now an "integrated" relay.

I plan on modding the OEM combination stalk as described in this thread so that I can use the OEM fog light switch to trigger a separate relay which will then power the fog lights. What fuse should I tap in to for switched power for the signal circuit if I want to be able to turn on the fogs whenever I would also be able to turn on the headlights (I forget, with the key in the ACC position I presume)?
can you please re-attach picture? which relay? pic. is not working

41 - 60 of 79 Posts