Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So most have read about my body damage which occured during a recent trip to Rattle Snake in Lehi, UT. Heres the link for it http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3743

I decided to paint the area as 8th Man said. Anyone can do this to any part of their vehicle. Prep work is the longest and the hardest... after that you just wait for the paint to dry! I have no intention of repairing the area, so the dent is still there. But once the sliders are on it will be less visible.

First step is to wash the area being painted with soap and water. Then use a wax remover/degreaser as these chemicals will cause the paint to "orange peel" or "fish eye".
I started off by sanding the area with 120-grit to smoothe the rough edges around the damage. Then I sanded the entire area with 320-grit to rough it up so the primer has something to adhere to.
As seen in this pic, I have already masked the area off with painters tape. I started at the front and masked all the way to the back.

I first primed the area with flat black primer and let dry for 30 minutes or so.

Then I sprayed 3M Rubberized Undercoating. This product can be purchased at AutoZone, CSK, PepBoys, Wal-Mart... or anywhere else that sells 3M products. I bought it for $3.99 and one can will do both sides.

While the 3M product was still tacky, I went over it with a coat of the flat black primer. The undercoating spray has a shiny, oily finish that I didn't like and flat black matches the under carriage of the X.

It looks like there is orange peel, but the 3M Undercoating has a textured finish much like Rhino Lining or Herculiner. As you can see, I still have to paint the lower portion of my front fender (behind the wheel) so it will match the rest of the lower rocker. Price for this is approx. $20 for the primer, 3M undercoating spray, tape and sandpaper. Takes about an hour for someone who has painted before... but most of that time is waiting for the paint to dry.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Looks good. I did a similar thing when I smashed my rocker panel. Except I used bed liner and went part way up the door.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
muzikman said:
Looks good. I did a similar thing when I smashed my rocker panel. Except I used bed liner and went part way up the door.
I might do that too after the lower portion of the door gets really scratched up.

·
on line
25 Posts
I'm curious though... since you're painting over the damaged area anyways, why not drill a few holes and pull the dent out, then apply some body filler to smooth out the area? Then you can spray it with whatever you want and install some sliders? This way the damage is not visible.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
You've done a great job driver X! That dent looks much less obvious now. It will virtually disappear once you bolt up your new sliders.

I'll bet you had some fun with that project. :bounce:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts