Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a chrome KC Daylighter on Ebay for $25. However, since I don't like chrome that much I'm thinking of painting or coating it with something (maybe rhino or Line-X if I can figure out how). Anyone have any ideas how I can make it black or gray? I suppose I could try to trade it in for a black one at some seller/distributor, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a spray on or paint that might work??

It's a 130W bulb, so I'm thinking it's gonna get pretty hot--but it'll never be on more than a few minutes at a time. Never more than like 5 minutes (it'll be hooked up to the reverse lights).

Note: after shipping it was $35, plus I bought a flood-light lense/reflector for $27 more--I should have just sucked it up, bought a damn black one for $72 an called it a day.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
High Temp grill (barbecue) paint? I've got some black ProComp lights that I took off my last truck and left outside all winter, not to mention most of their life. They are old and now have surface rust. I wanna sell them so I'm going to strip them down and hit them with that high temp grill paint. You don't need to prime it. I put some on my atv muffler over a year ago and it's held up very well. I like the dull,matte finish too.
I would think that rubberized bedliner would be a nightmare. In my experience if a part starts out chrome, and you try to change that, it will always want to return to its original state. It's gonna be tough to get anything to stick to chrome, no matter how much you scuff it up.

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grill paint. sounds like a plan--though it is going to be hard to get it to scuff up properly. i wonder if there's anything i can spray on to help it stick.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
whatgorilla said:
grill paint. sounds like a plan--though it is going to be hard to get it to scuff up properly. i wonder if there's anything i can spray on to help it stick.
I don't think you wanna spray anything on there. It will burn. You don't use primer.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Bed liner will melt.
Primer will degrade.
BBQ paint or brake caliper paint are your safest options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts