Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
You do not need anything but a 14mm wrench. a new oil plug washer and your oil and some rags, maybe a tall kitchen trash bag. 5.4 qts of oil with filter change. This is how you cannot do it, no room for wrench to turn.

Get under the X. Pass side behind wheel. lay down.

Here is the approach. This is a left hand!

Put wrench on like this, shown ready to loosen.

Loose!

Tightening...

For those who will doubt me. (not a special wrench)

Now a shot at the oil filter from approach hole lay down right hip next to front right (Pass) tire of Xterra, use right hand.

Shown here with Right hand on filter ready to turn to the left.

Have a rag under filter to catch the mess. If you loosen filter 1st then put a small kitchen size trash bag on your hand and loosen all the way letting the mess spill into the kitchen size bag, you can catch almost all the mess and adjust rag to catch the drips.

Coat the gasket of the filter and tighten to spec. (Differs I don't want to cause an argument not matter what I say someone will 2nd guess me.)

Use a new oil plug gasket and install oil plug and torque to 25 ft lbs. Or whatever you want as long as you don't loose oil, the plug or strip anything out. Add 5 qts of oil, check level to be sure it is in range, start car and look at dash to be sure you have pressure if that is OK go out and check for leaks. Let it run a bit. Re check the oil and top it off a little at a time to be sure you do not overfill! If you do overfill, remove and re-install the filter. Wipe up your mess you are done.
PM suggestions and I will add or change the post if it is needed. MC

·
on line
807 Posts
couldn't you just use a wratchet instead of getting your hand all twisted up in there?

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Anyone know if the BP skid plates have the same hole there? (Can't picture them off the top of my head....)

·
on line
2,938 Posts
cornick said:
Anyone know if the BP skid plates have the same hole there? (Can't picture them off the top of my head....)
Yes. hole on the left in the picture below. your rock washers should have saved your bolts on the BP skids. The BP bolts look like new while my shrock bolts look like crap.

·
on line
82 Posts
Re: Oil Change with Shrockworks skids

MC I really appreciate the time you take to post the reviews.

USMC XTERRA said:
Have a rag under filter to catch the mess. If you loosen filter 1st then put a small kitchen size trash bag on your hand and loosen all the way letting the mess spill into the kitchen size bag, you can catch almost all the mess and adjust rag to catch the drips. ... MC
I didn't understand how you are using your kitchen bag. I don't know what the front Shrock skid looks like, but if they don't have the hole that the stock one does, what happens to the oil going down the little ramp? Do you have the bag under the whole skid plate and just letting it drain out?

USMC XTERRA said:
... Add 5 qts of oil, check level to be sure it is in range, start car and look at dash to be sure you have pressure ... MC
The Xterra started as a TRUCK, and with all the mods you have done, yours sure as hell does not resemble a car.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry so late reply. 10 - 4 on the truck!
Yea i just finagle the kitchen trash bag by putting it over my hand and loosening the filter and letting all that run into the bag rather that down the ramp. It's not foolproof but it makes it easy to clan up with 2 paper towels rather than a basket of old rags! LOL MC

·
on line
460 Posts
took the plates off today to do a complete fluid change and while the engine skid was off my buddy "re-shaped" the oil drain hole in the skid with his plasma cutter... now it is kinda triangular shape... looks like it will work to keep the oil off the inside of the skid but we'll wait to the next oil change to find out... he is going to weld a piece of rod around the front edge of the hole to deflect any rocks that might get hung up on the bigger hole...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great post - especially the plastic bag trick.

I used language I am not proud of when I did my first oil change...

I *knew* there had to be a better way...

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Holy **** I wish I found this earlier. I've only done 2 oil changes on the X and curse every time I am removing the stock skid plate

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
All Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this thread!

Reactions: outback97

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Someone posted recently asking about how to change oil with the shrockworks rad skid in place, so I thought I'd bump this thread and add a little bit to it.

When I bought my '09 from @brett he thoughtfully included his oil change drip ramp that he fabricated. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but I'm looking forward to not having oil dripping from the rad skid for days after the oil change. The ramp essentially extends to the access hole in the Shrockworks radiator skid allowing the oil to drain through there, instead of falling short and pooling in the skid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts