Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have installed the catch can following the tutorial posted by Allshookup. The picture below shows what I have pulled up with the syringe after 3,000 miles of driving. It is mixed town/highway. The oil is about 3 month old, Mobil 1 5W30.

It was about 20 ml of fluid, which I followed by 2x40 ml of washing with the rubbing alcohol. Instead of removing the can, I used the dipstick opening to inject and suck the fluid up. It works quite well.

Anyway I must admit that this really works!

Cheers,

Jarek

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have installed the catch can following the tutorial posted by Allshookup. The picture below shows what I have pulled up with the syringe after 3,000 miles of driving. It is mixed town/highway. The oil is about 3 month old, Mobil 1 5W30.

It was about 20 ml of fluid, which I followed by 2x40 ml of washing with the rubbing alcohol. Instead of removing the can, I used the dipstick opening to inject and suck the fluid up. It works quite well.

Anyway I must admit that this really works!

Cheers,

Jarek
What catch can did you buy and do you have any experience with the offroad gorilla catch can??? I'm considering purchasing theirs based off of the quality of their previous products.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just added a catch can in the same location this thread is using near the air filter box. I used the brand called ADD and their V3 model, which I don't recommend because the mounting screws that hold the catch can to the included bracket seem way too small to me. It looks like a #6 screw to me with about 1/4" of thread engagement. What the.....???? Anyway, I'm currently looking for a catch can with a more robust mounting system. The V3 model holds 4 oz, which I'm thinking should be large enough that I only have to empty the can when I change the oil and not in between oil changes. Looking at numerous online posts and youtube videos, I came up with the rule of thumb that the catch can volume should be about 1oz per liter of engine displacement. As in, a 4.0L engine gets a 4oz catch can and so on...we'll see if that works.

Parts needed to install a catch can near the existing hole across from the air box:

1. May as well replace the PVC valve while you're doing this upgrade. I used Nissan part number 11810-EA200. See the posts on PVC replacement on this site. You'll need a 23mm standard depth sock or even better a stubby adjustable wrench that opens to 23mm or more. You'll need a small pair of needle nose locking pliers to remove the cumbersome hose clamps on the PCV hose shown the second attached picture.

2. Offset bracket 2314N12 mcmaster.com. This a 1/8" thick piece of stainless steel that is Z shaped or sometimes called an "offset" bracket that's thick enough to support the can and not flop around. You drill your holes in this bracket as needed. Using a hand drill on this bracket was tough since the bit wanted to walk all over even when dimpling the surface to prevent walking. A drill press would make quick work of drilling the holes and save your arm too. The red arrow in the attached picture points to the bracket, which I painted black. It looks good without paint too.

3. A 1/4"-20 screw is the largest diameter screw that fits in the existing hole in the Xterra frame near the airbox. The green arrow in the attached picture points to the screw. I used a grade 8, 1/4" diameter screw that was 1/2" long with a serrated flange nut to tighten it down.

4. Two pieces of 3/8" Inside Diameter fuel line that are each 5 feet long. The 5 feet are needed to span the distance from the airbox vicinity all the way to the PCV valve and intake plenum location. One hose is connected to the PCV valve and then to the intake side (dirty air in) of the catch can. The other hose is then connected from the catch can outlet (clean air out) to the intake plenum. You'll cut off 6" or so from each hose, so you'll need a pair of tubing cutters.

5. Three or four zip ties to bound the hoses together and then to something else that doesn't allow them to bounce around.

I have an AFE power momentum GT cold air intake installed, so the pictures will show an intake that may look different from yours if you have the stock intake installed. And lastly, not only are the ADD V1 catch can screws too small and don't inspire any confidence, the sticker they include in the box tore in half when I went to peel the liner away. My ritual is to add the sticker to the side of my tool box after doing an upgrade, so I couldn't do it with the ADD sticker.....that's a sign for me. The marketing literature in the ADD box has Chinese-like command of English, so I hope I didn't buy a cheaply made Chinese piece of.....

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
The ADD catch can seems to be working well. I'm getting the same coffee-looking fluid that others have taken pictures of. I assume that fluid is a mixture of gas, water and oil. The attached picture is about 200 miles worth of fluid caught. I guess the ADD can is adequate. The mounting hardware is holding firm. You can simply unscrew the can from the mounted parts and empty.

Attachments

41 - 46 of 46 Posts