Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Caretaker of The Minion
3,720 Posts
hmmmm....quite interested in possibly doing this! never knew about something like this existed (let alone that oil vapors get recirc'd). How much do one of these go for? & are they specific to the make/model of the vehicle? Or is it a generic catch can & just do the hoses how you ran them? another question (cause I'm full of them now ;)), these hoses just carry air through them (w/ the exception of the oil vapor), right?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
hmmmm....quite interested in possibly doing this! never knew about something like this existed (let alone that oil vapors get recirc'd). How much do one of these go for? & are they specific to the make/model of the vehicle? Or is it a generic catch can & just do the hoses how you ran them? another question (cause I'm full of them now ;)), these hoses just carry air through them (w/ the exception of the oil vapor), right?
correct, they just transfer the vapors through the system so that they can be intergrated durring combustion. and any oil catch can should work. so long as the hoses are the correct size.

-t

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i have one from home depot... its an air compressor water separator.... you can see the picture on the how to purge your coolant topic.... first page at the bottom

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I bought mine as a kit for my Hemi Charger. I just had to buy new hoses, mounting bolt and a couple washers. I think it's outlined pretty good in my first post.

Billet Tecnology is the company I bought it from. I think a catch can by itself runs for $95.

Here is a link to their store.
http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20011.htm

The only thing about those oil separators for air systems, I think most are pretty small and from my recent experience at least during the winter this things fills up pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I bought mine as a kit for my Hemi Charger. I just had to buy new hoses, mounting bolt and a couple washers. I think it's outlined pretty good in my first post.

Billet Tecnology is the company I bought it from. I think a catch can by itself runs for $95.

Here is a link to their store.
http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20011.htm

The only thing about those oil separators for air systems, I think most are pretty small and from my recent experience at least during the winter this things fills up pretty quick.
yes, i had made myself one and it did fill up quick, like in a week. The thought of what might happen if it got too high and then somehow that fluid were to be sucked up all at once scared me away from keeping it in place.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i have that tiny compressor moisture collector.... does not fill up in less then 2 weeks and it helps me keep track on maint...
what this really does is it will eliminate the oil residue that will coat the intake system....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, I just did mine about 500 miles ago. Decent amount, nothing crazy...

What got me thinking about this is I just had to pull my Intake off of my 1996 Chevy Silverado and it was DESTROYED with Oil Residue!! 117,000 miles. I added one to that after I cleaned the Manifold to prevent that again.

I figured an ounce of prevention and added it to the X... Under $20. It's smaller, but I'll just have to keep an eye on it. With this much at 500 miles... I'm guessing I'll have to empty it every Oil Change or so. A Modified Air Compressor Air Dryer from Home Depot, Scoth Brite Stainless Steel Scrub Pad cut to fit, (it heats up and helps to pull the Oil to the bottom), and a couple feet of 3/8" Fuel Hose.

I also did the Throttle Body Coolant Bypass at the same time. Don't know if it works, but in AZ there's no sense adding unnecessary heat!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i just replaced my valve covers and in the process removed the intake thing behind the throttle intake.... since installing my oil catch can at around 100k I was very satisfied with the lack of oil residue inside the part.... works great.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Holy old thread revival. Looking into this. Are people still on board for this mod? Is it necessary? You can get catch cans online now for dirt cheap! Where does the other hose go? I see the one on the bottom back left but thats it.. Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
Oil Catch Can Install - Pic Heavy

I got around to installing the Oil Catch Can I bought. I got this one because it has a small baffle system and it is a nice heavy weight aluminum. This model can be found online (Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress, etc) for around $40.

First thing I did was toss the cheap hose that came with the kit and got 2 feet of Goodyear 3/8" hose from AutoZone for $3.58. I also Picked up a piece of metal from HomeDepot. A Simpson Strong Tie 12" strap 12 gauge $2.97

Fuse & Relay area on the passenger side.

Unclipped the relay harness box and lifted it out of the way.

Removed the 2 10mm bolts. The first bolt was for a bracket that held the wiring harness against the side of the engine bay. I tossed the bracket because after my body lift it was a little tight and the wires aren't going anywhere. The second bolt holds the bracket that the relay harness box clips to.

After removing the bolts I bent the Simpson Strong Tie into a 90° angle to create a bracket. Then I drilled out the spots for the bolts and trimmed the new bracket down to size.

Replaced the bolts and put the relay harness box back in place and bolted it down.

The I removed the PCV hose off the back of the motor and replaced it with the longer 3/8" Goodyear hose I got from AutoZone. I reused a portion of the original hose for the return to the intake.
All finished. I'm interested to how much junk it catches.

·
TNX Administrator
19,659 Posts
All (08) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts