Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Oil Catch Can - PBR

38K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  Xtra99 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just got my X a couple weeks ago. I got rid of my '06 Charger R/T for it. My first mod to the new X is an Oil Catch Can. I had it on my Charger and wanted to see if I could re-use of the X. I don't know if it really needs it, but I figured what the hell. The purpose of the Catch Can is to take the Oil Vapor out of the Air being recirculated back to the Intake from the PCV System.

I got the Catch Can from a company called Billet Technology. Here is what I did to make the install work.

The only place suitable to mount the catch can that there was enough room was off the Vertical Support on the Passenger-side of the Radiator. There was a hole already there, but it was not large enough for the diameter bolt I needed to use. I drilled out the hole some to fit a 10-1.5 x 20mm bolt. I used a metal washer and a couple Neoprene Washers to protect the paint there.

I had to get a couple smaller fittings for the Catch Can as the Hose needed was about 3/8" compared to the -10AN Size I was using. I got 10' of -6AN Nylon Braided Hose to connect to the smaller 3/8" fittings on the Engine and Catch Can. I routed the hose and Zip-tied in a few places to secure in place. The Hose was a little tight on the Nipples on the Motor and the one on the back of the Motor was a pain with as tight as the Hose was. A -8AN Hose would have worked great I think. I used the Stock Clamps on the Motor Nipples and a couple Hose Clamps on the Catch Can to finish securing everything. Cranked her up and revved a couple times and all seemed good. I'll check after a day or two and make sure everything stays put and may try and get the Hoses on the Motor to go on a little further as they are barely over the Barbs on the Nipples.

The Airbox is to the right and the front of the truck to the left in the first pic.

The Hose you can see well is from the Catch Can to the Intake Manifold. The one going to the Can is below and behind there. You can't really see it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Updated with pics. Everything seems good after a day of driving and there was just a couple drops worth of oil in it. I will update after a few weeks with pics of oil captured.

#4 · (Edited)
^^ I guess I'm very ignorant...but can someone please help a noob as to what the purpose of this mod is.. :( good work making it fit :) .....i just have no clue what the F it does....:tard:

I understand it takes oil out of the air btw...I just don't know the exact application of these and what are they completely necessary on (i know they aren't on X's...)

#5 ·
The air from the PCV system gets recirculated to the intake for EPA reasons. The don't want the oil vapor being released to ATM. This can also collect on the roads. Over time the oil will puddle in the intake and it gums up valves, pistons, and cumbustion chamber too. It's more predominant on higher HP motors. My 5.7 L in the charger I had depending on how hard I drove it, I would have about 2 oz of oil every 4k miles. Just think over the life of the car how much would be consumed during combustion. I know in the Hemi's the computer would pull timing if you didn't have a catch can and there was too much oil vapor in the intake air. I had the catch can and thought I would try and re-use it. I will let you guys know how much oil I start collecting. This might determine if it's really warranted and if others should consider doing this as well.

Reactions: Benalish
#8 ·
Thanks for posting. I have the one from Big Bully for my Magnum but I never installed it maybe I'll try it on the X instead. Were you on LXforums and do you still have your LX?

#9 ·
Yeah I was on LX forums. I had an '06 Charger R/T but I traded it in for my brand new X. If you have the 5.7 or 6.1 in your Mangnum, I still have a K&N CAI for sale. Didn't get any interest in the classifieds on there.

#15 ·
I think the one you are talking about is on the intake tube. The one I am reffering to is off the intake manifold itselft. There is a tube that comes out of the bottom rear of the intake manifold and goin to the upper rear left side of the intake manifold. The one on the intake tube is where air filtered from the air box get drawn into the crank case. The PCV sytem relieves positive pressure, and the other draws air in I believe as the engine is cooling down and pressure in the crank case is dropping.

#14 ·
Well, after only about 175 miles I have collected about a teaspoon worth of oil. I am pretty surprised. I wasn't expecting that much yet. I will keep checking and update when I change the oil at about 3k or so.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I changed my Oil after 2500 miles today. I wanted to go ahead and switch to Synthetic. I emptied my Catch Can and probably had about 2 oz in it. Here are a couple pics of what I collected.

#18 · (Edited)
Man it really suprises my how much oil/nasty gunk this thing catches. Since it has gotten cold it has been catching all the condensation that builds up after the engine cools down. I was complely full when I changed my oil last after about 2500 miles from when I emptied it. It was full again after only about 1500 miles since I changed my oil. It is was this choclate milk looking stuff with thick gunky stuff at the bottom. Prior to getting cold, it was close to normal oil looking. I am going to have to start checking every 500 miles or so and see how fast it is filliing up. I am glad all that nasty crap is not getting ingested though.

#19 ·
Thanks for the great post marshall9779!

I was wondering what would happen if the catch can got neglected for a period of time? And from that, I wonder how easy or feasible it would be to drill & tap the bottom of the can to route some hosing to a remote reservoir so it can hold more and be emptied easier. Though I'm sure it would have to be lower so gravity would assist the oil moving down.

#20 ·
I dont think it does any damage if you let it get full as it will be pulling in what it normally would except it will be in the form of smal drops instead of a vapor. I don't think it would be worth making an extra resevior. I just know now that I need to check more often in winter months. I am still in awe that I am collecting more with this V-6 that I ever did with my 5.7 Hemi especially since I drove that car a lot harder.

#21 ·
hmmmm....quite interested in possibly doing this! never knew about something like this existed (let alone that oil vapors get recirc'd). How much do one of these go for? & are they specific to the make/model of the vehicle? Or is it a generic catch can & just do the hoses how you ran them? another question (cause I'm full of them now ;)), these hoses just carry air through them (w/ the exception of the oil vapor), right?

#26 ·
I bought mine as a kit for my Hemi Charger. I just had to buy new hoses, mounting bolt and a couple washers. I think it's outlined pretty good in my first post.

Billet Tecnology is the company I bought it from. I think a catch can by itself runs for $95.

Here is a link to their store.
http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20011.htm

The only thing about those oil separators for air systems, I think most are pretty small and from my recent experience at least during the winter this things fills up pretty quick.

#27 ·
yes, i had made myself one and it did fill up quick, like in a week. The thought of what might happen if it got too high and then somehow that fluid were to be sucked up all at once scared me away from keeping it in place.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I just did mine about 500 miles ago. Decent amount, nothing crazy...

What got me thinking about this is I just had to pull my Intake off of my 1996 Chevy Silverado and it was DESTROYED with Oil Residue!! 117,000 miles. I added one to that after I cleaned the Manifold to prevent that again.

I figured an ounce of prevention and added it to the X... Under $20. It's smaller, but I'll just have to keep an eye on it. With this much at 500 miles... I'm guessing I'll have to empty it every Oil Change or so. A Modified Air Compressor Air Dryer from Home Depot, Scoth Brite Stainless Steel Scrub Pad cut to fit, (it heats up and helps to pull the Oil to the bottom), and a couple feet of 3/8" Fuel Hose.

I also did the Throttle Body Coolant Bypass at the same time. Don't know if it works, but in AZ there's no sense adding unnecessary heat!

Attachments

#33 ·
Holy old thread revival. Looking into this. Are people still on board for this mod? Is it necessary? You can get catch cans online now for dirt cheap! Where does the other hose go? I see the one on the bottom back left but thats it.. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.