Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Alright. My 5 lb bottle isn't cutting it anymore.

The 5 lb bottle is great for saving space, but It only has enough air to fill up my one of my tires from about 12-32 psi about 10 times (2.5 air-ups on the trail, assuming no other use). Plus my bracket, which is only mounted the plastic, was causing a vibration/rattle in that plastic sidewall that drove me crazy after a while. It was suprsisingly sturdy, but after a while I knew I had to figure something else out.

So... my 10 lb bottle is on the way.

Now to find some metal to bolt to the bracket to....

Stay tuned. I should have more updates next weekend.

EDIT:

Well, it's about 7:30 west coast time. Started at about 2:00 and just finished. I cut a piece of 1/8 aluminum stock (same stuff the powertank "super bracket" is made of) and used it to cover up the gap in the sheet metal where the cubby hole used to be.

For some reason there were already 2 existing holes. I drilled 4 more. Used 1/4 hardware w/ inch long bolts.

Then I used the body saw to cut away the cubby hole pocket as well as some additional plastic that was interfering with the powertank bracket. There was a lot of trial and error here. Had to test fit, remove and cut more plastic several times. The little slot you see off to the right is where the bracket latch goes. I had to cut that away so that there was enough room (and there barely is) to open the latch and pull the strap away from the bottle.

Here's the finished product...

I used 3/8 hardware (as recommended by powertank in bracket instructions) to secure the bracket to my aluminum plate. This thing is
SOLID.

I can do up a more detailed write-up if somebody wants it.

·
on line
106 Posts
Not something I am going to attempt but good work all the way around. Great photo's to see whats back there for other mods to. About how long does it take to strip the back like that?

·
on line
807 Posts
How do you like that powertank? I was thinking about making up my own 10lb. setup, but have read about some people having problems with homemade units freezing up more than the powertanks, then again the powertanks regulators are like $160, so they better be good! lol.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love my Powertank, so much so that I'm going to drop an extra $160 to pick up a 10lb bottle. Just makes more sense. At the welding shop where I fill up it costs $15 to fill the 5lb bottle, and only another $5 or $6 to fill up a 10lb bottle. Should save me some money in the long run. And I won't have to fill up as often. This 10lb bottle should give me enough juice to fill all of my tires up from 12-32 psi about 5 times (perfect for next year's Moab trip!)

It only took me about 1/2 an hour to pull all that molding out once I got started. You need to remove the utilitracks, the storage tray and the drivers side rear seat. With the exception of a couple small screws and the seat belt bolt, everything else is plastic clips that pop right off. Once I had everything removed I started to think to myself, "what I else can I do or wire in back here now that I've got everything removed...?"

I've already figured out how I'm going to mount the bottle bracket. Should only require me to drill 2 holes. Will take advantage of 2 pre-existing holes. I'll have a detailed write up hopefully next weekend.

Eddie,

One of my local jeep buddies has already claimed dibs on the bottle. Keep in mind it's just the bottle, I'm transferring my regulator over to the 10 pounder. It will work well for my friend, because she's only running 31s on her TJ. If she passes, I'll let you take first crack.

Although, now that you're running 35s I would kinda feel bad selling it to you. I don't think that you would be able to get a full two fills out of the bottle. Knowing you, you would probably use the thing once and then upgrade to a 10 pounder. I would probably just get the ten if I was driving your rig.

When are you getting back from Africa? I'm dying to see some daylight pictures of your rig....

·
on line
807 Posts
OregonX said:
I love my Powertank, so much so that I'm going to drop an extra $160 to pick up a 10lb bottle.....
You might want to look into these guys.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2.shtml
A lot of people who make their own setups recommend them. It doesn't say "Powertank", but it is nice looking brushed aluminum, you could always throw a thenewx.org sticker on it or something! Plus it only costs $76 for a 10lb tank, you could buy 2 and still have some cash left over compared to the 10lb. powertank!

I have been looking online for a while and that is the cheapest I've seen, I think that is the one I am going to go with. Although the 20lb. tank is attractive at only $100!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stevet47 said:
OregonX said:
I love my Powertank, so much so that I'm going to drop an extra $160 to pick up a 10lb bottle.....
You might want to look into these guys.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2.shtml
A lot of people who make their own setups recommend them. It doesn't say "Powertank", but it is nice looking brushed aluminum, you could always throw a thenewx.org sticker on it or something! Plus it only costs $76 for a 10lb tank, you could buy 2 and still have some cash left over compared to the 10lb. powertank!

I have been looking online for a while and that is the cheapest I've seen, I think that is the one I am going to go with. Although the 20lb. tank is attractive at only $100!
Not a bad idea. If somebody wants to do a real cheap set-up, The Source makes a non-adjustable 150 psi regulator (perfect for tires) for only $40. Something to think about.

·
on line
4,196 Posts
I will be studying this older thread very carefully, OregonX. I just got a Powertank & want to mount it in the same exact spot. My initial ponderings of how to do that were running out today...so I searched.

It looks now like I'm just going to have to unload all the crap I keep in back, remove the mentioned panels & such, & fab & mount a plate as you did. Thanks for the write-up & pics 6-ish years ago! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts