Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off kudos to marshall9779 for his write up located here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28291&highlight=oil+catch
Reading his how to (as well as those on clubfrontier) helped with my install. Marshall's pics (as well as those on the tacomaboard linked below) helped convince me to get one.

Background:
The below background is taken from my orginal thread here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87513

After reading up on the merits of oil catch cans (basically they reduce oil blow back via the PCV that can make its way into the intake / throttle body - which apparently can reduce performance, gum up the engine, and cause pre-mature catalytic convertor failure) I decided to buy one.

That, and I did see some oil residue when installing my IMS and Volant...

So, they seem like a nice insurance policy since I expect to keep the Xterra for a very long time.

I decided on Moroso, model #85474 (their universal model). It was $140 from StreetSideAuto. Not the cheapest as far as catch cans go, but not the most expensive either. They had nothing but good reviews on the product - it is well designed, good quality, and includes baffling / filter media. Something the $20 ebay specials don't. It also has a drain valve - so that's a plus. It's capacity is 7.5oz - which, though not as large as other cans, should be sufficient to go between oil changes.

What really sold me on the Moroso was that they are based in CT - and when I called them I reached a real person who spoke at length about their product and the particulars of an oil catch can. They also include the proper hose for installation, again something most companies don't do.

Also - this Moroso video (in addition to the tons of pictures, namely here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...all-guide.html) sold me as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9klkDCItEY

Un-boxing:
The catch can, mounting ring, mounting plate, screws, drain valve, , drain, drain plug, nipples, mounting screws, and of course stickers. Not shown in picture was the 3 foot automotive grade hose that came with it. (The hose is shown later in the install pics.)

The catch can opened up. Note the filter element and screen. Also, this thing is some serious hardware. Its definitely solid.

Another view of the catch can, partially assembled. Note that the bottom unscrews from the top and provides another way to empty (or service) in addition to the drain valve. There is also a gasket between the two. Its excellent quality.

Catch can partially put together, with mount test fitted.

Mounting / Assembly:
I took some time trying to figure out where to mount this. The area near the air box seemed like a viable option, there is plenty of room to work with, and users on here + clubfrontier used it as well and it seemed to be functioning / collecting fine for them. But I was hesitant to run cables that long (the existing PCV cable is less than a foot long) and Moroso only included 3 ft of cable. I also checked the install examples on Moroso's website, and they too were short runs.

Ultimately I decided on this. The cover to the engine fuse box. Its surprisingly robust and handles the catch can fine.

At first I test mounted it (both on and off the truck).

Another test mount view:

Then I drilled two tiny pilot holes on this side of the lid. (The drill bit is in view.) I also shoved the drill bit in to the hole and re-fit the lid to test for depth.

Everything looked good. The height of the holes on the lid are above and clear all the wiring / fuses / relays in the box. Drill bigger holes to fit the locking nut and bolt I had on hand. (These bolts did not come with the Moroso, they were extras I had).

Under view of the mount and screws installed on the lid. (Note 1 locking nut fit, but the other was too big and I used a regular nut.)

Top view of the lid and mount:

Next I began to put the Moroso together. Use teflon tape.

The Moroso in general has some very tight fittings. Here's a view of what it took to crank on the drain valve.

Assembled Moroso test fitted to fuse box lid:

Another view:

Still another view:

Install:
This is the tube that the Moroso catch can goes inline with.

That tube connects to the intake plenum (the plastic part showing in frame) on one end, and then on the back end to (I THINK, THE TOP VALVE COVER). Shown here is the new tubing connected to the back part (VALVE COVER?). It is connected with a 3/8'' hose clamp and the tubing Moroso provided. (You could reuse the Nissan clamps that are there as well.)

This one picture shows pretty much everything. The Moroso hooked up and connected. I did a bit of adjustments to get it at the angle I liked, and easy access to the drain. I also FLIPPED THE MOUNT, so that the alan wrench screw head was facing towards the firewall, this makes it easier to tighten. The left tube connected to the Moroso is the same tube cut and clamped from the picture above. Then with the remaining tubing, connect the remaining nipple on the Moroso to the intake plenum. (The tube on the right side in picture.) Note: There is no inlet or outlet on the catch can, its an in-line filter, so it doesn't matter which hose goes where. Lastly tighten all clamps, and tighten the mounting base to clamp the unit in.

Another view of the completed install:

I fired up and ran the Xterra for a bit. Everything seems solid. No leaks, no check engine, ran fine.

Review:
Overall this appears to be a quality product. IMO I think its a great insurance policy on your engine, especially if you plan to keep your X (or really any car) for the long haul.

The Moroso is well engineered. The drain plug will come in handy and its easy enough to loosen and take apart should I decide to drain that way. I also like that it came with almost everything needed for the install and REAL hoses. (I had to get 4, hose clamps and use two mounting bolts I had on hand.) I do wish it had a "see through" component to see how full it is, a feature other catch cans offer. But the Moroso rep said they can maintain a more sealed unit without this.

Anyway if you decide to get a catch can, the Moroso is a good bet.

Lastly, I did note that the PCV tube did have an oily residue to it. Which likely was making its way into my intake. Below is a pic:

So take that for what its worth. I'll report back with what's "caught" over the next few thousand miles.

Reactions: brokefoot

·
on line
719 Posts
Nice how-to. Thinking about doing this on mine, since I plan on keeping it a long time.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nice writeup. Going to look at getting one of these if I can ever stop spending money on this damn house.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After 1,000 miles

1,016 miles...

Looks to be about 12-13 ML or CC or close to .05 oz. So not a ton. Over the last 3 weeks typical temp has still been cold in CT. Most lows were in the high teen / low 20s, with highs in the mid-30s. The X is parked in a garage and does stay a bit warmer than the outside temps (usually 40 degrees on the days we've just had.)

So.. looks like the can is doing its job. Not a ton of oil @ 1k miles and not much in terms of condensation. (Seems like normal oil, not really milky or anything.) I'll run it till 2,000 miles and take a look - with the ultimate goal of being comfortable letting it go between oil changes (7500 miles for me).

Still nice to know that none of this gunk is in my intake.

Reactions: brokefoot

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for anyone else looking for this the model # is 85474 not 85747. not a big deal just wanted to help out
Oh thanks! Looks like my dyslexia is acting up again. I've corrected the OP.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
~2,000 Mile

A little over 2k miles. Weather has warmed up, seems a little less sludgy then the stuff I took out earlier (more an oil consistancy).

Almost 40ml. So far seems like 15-20ml per 1k miles.

Next run will be 3k.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good update! Thanks.
Thanks!

The catch can has a 7.5oz capacity, which is 221ml. So @ if 20ml per 1k miles is the continued trend, that would allow me 11,000 miles to full capacity. I certainly won't run it that long, but my goal of 7,500 miles that I do for oil changes seems doable.

Not that this thing is hard to empty (it literally seconds), its more reminding myself and oil change intervals are convient. (I rotate my tires then too.)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
What is the point of this thing? Many cars have been driven for high miles without this contraption with no ill effects. Wouldnt they be included from the factory if they were needed? Losing/burning a few milliliters of oil between changes is perfectly acceptable. Just dont get it

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the point of this thing? Many cars have been driven for high miles without this contraption with no ill effects. Wouldnt they be included from the factory if they were needed? Losing/burning a few milliliters of oil between changes is perfectly acceptable. Just dont get it
I know they're no air bags....

Anyway I've supplied plenty of links in the initial post if you do want to know the merits of a catch can and then decide for yourself. In fact there is a thread referenced on here in my OP debating them. This thread should ideally stay a clean how to.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just curious would the little bit of oil getting in the engine there help keep things lubricated or no? I guess since gas is petroleum based it would do the job just curious of your thoughts.
I doubt it, the oil that's caught in the can looks terrible. Especially in the colder months (like chocolate milk w/condensation).

Plus its catching it on the intake side, so the blowback oil that's not caught (normal operation w/o a can) goes into the combustion chambers (this is for environmental and emmissions purposes - as well as less maintainence for the average user). Around the chambers you want lubrication - in the chamber all you want is fuel (air, gas, and spark).

·
Registered
197 Posts
If this is anything like it is on my previous motorcycle... it is an EPA requirement of some sorts. They would rather the small amount of crap go back through the engine to burn. Made my Buell xb12s run rough. Did a breather just like this but instead of a catch-can I just zip tied the cable somewhere where it wouldn't drip oil in the path of my tires. Never had to empty a catch can... not the best for nature. Definitely helped the bike run smoother.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Nice write up and follow up with the oil amounts. This is next in my list of things to do. :eek:ccasion5:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts