Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
on line
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Garmin Nuvi 750 that was designed for the factory GPS docking station and has a different mount than most of the other Garmin Nuvi GPSrs so...

Time to modify the Nissan mount to fit the entry level Garmin Nuvi 200W.

Here is the factory docking station. P/N: 999Q5-KU001

Remove four screws from the cover mount.

Cover removed.

Here is the back of the cover mount showing the screws that hold the universal ball mount that is used for most Garmin Nuvi GPSrs.

Here is the front of the cover mount that will require the modification.

Photo after modifications done. I drilled a new hole the same distance apart as the original holes just lower (about 7/32" lower). I also cut the "tits" that hold the original ball in place and removed a small plastic "fin" just below the ball mount.

New ball mount location. Just lower...

The back of the cover showing the new screw locations.

Here it is powered up and ready for install into the Xterra. Splice the two wires of a DC outlet into the wires of either outlet plug behind the dash. Plug in the GPS cable and your all set.

This is a sweet install for a basic Garmin 200W GPSr without all the extra stuff (and extra expense) of the Garmin 750. Totally worth it.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Snoop, even your mod pics look awesome. Were you holding the docking station over the side of a boat? Looks like it is over water.
Great mod!!

·
on line
1,059 Posts
That looks great man..

·
on line
86 Posts
Looks great, didn't realize you could mount the GPS that way, makes me want to get it done now

·
on line
429 Posts
I've got the nuvi 760 so didn't have to modify the docking station... but I'm constantly amazed and thankful for all help that can be received here.

Nicely done Snoopy!

·
on line
60 Posts
Can this docking station be bought and retrofitted to an 05?

I've searched around a little and stumbled on this docking station. I had a Nuvi 760 that got stolen in April, and I'd love to have this stealthy-ness to hide it when I leave the car. Does this just sit on top in the little recessed area? Does it replace that piece? Is it fastened down in any way?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

EDIT: After further research I see you can get the dealer to install this, but does this include the dock already so that they hardwire it into the cars electrical system?

EDIT2: Just got off the phone with Nissan parts at my local dealer and the dumbass says that Nissan hasn't introduced the kit for the 2005...and when I said "the dash of the 05-08 is the same" he replied "Yea, but the wiring *might* be different"

Looks like I'll be going at it myself. I'm trying to find a How-to for the installation process, can't seem to find one. I found one at XOC, but the site seems to be down right now so..

·
on line
60 Posts

·
on line
60 Posts
I think they only have the gray color. It should match unless you changed the color of your interior.
Haha indeed, but I was looking at this tutorial and it got me kind of worried. I just ordered the part so it should be here within a week, and I'm going to order the 760 later on tonight. I'll install this as soon as the part gets here :)

Thanks for you help and if I hijacked this thread, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to but I didn't want to start a whole new thread on this.

Great job on the mod, Snoopy. Looks fantastic.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
There are 3 different colors available:
Dark Gray, Light Gray and Beige.
and this will work in the 2005 model.

Just so you know..

B

·
on line
1,420 Posts
ha..ha..at you calling those little things "tits".....

- J

·
on line
60 Posts
There are 3 different colors available:
Dark Gray, Light Gray and Beige.
and this will work in the 2005 model.

Just so you know..

B
:tard: I ordered from mynissanparts.com and the only option was "Gray" so here's to hoping it's the right color...

I really don't know if the right color would be the Light or Dark Gray...

·
on line
3 Posts
pics are broken, can someone check the post to see if original pics are available?

also, i looked at the specs from Garmins site, and the 200w is .2" shorter then the 750. what is it about that 200w that doesnt make it fit the stock mount (ie. does it not close when inserted, or does it not even fit the mount)?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts