Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not everyone lives in their car where having a mattress at the ready is the ideal solution.

Many of us travel to destinations with a few hundred pounds of "gear" and utilize the "cargo" area for "cargo".
Having a mattress in the way exacerbates loading/unloading of "gear".
Thus, having something that folds up and out of the way during such travels allows for said "gear" to be easily accessible, loaded and unloaded.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Not that I've tried.

But, I have the "gear" to do so.

:D
I do understand where you're coming from, yet the purpose of this post and setup is to provide an option for those who have other means of storage solutions, such as on the roof or a hitch carrier and would like to just jump into bed after a day of camping. This is for those who also aren't setting up a tent and are rather sleeping in their car. There is room behind the front seats under the mattress to stow away things. I feel like plenty of campers or overlanders would benefit from this setup, but of course, some may not as well if there is too much gear to travel with, in a way that a mattress might hinder unloading or storage of gear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I do understand where you're coming from, yet the purpose of this post and setup is to provide an option for those who have other means of storage solutions, such as on the roof or a hitch carrier and would like to just jump into bed after a day of camping. This is for those who also aren't setting up a tent and are rather sleeping in their car. There is room behind the front seats under the mattress to stow away things. I feel like plenty of campers or overlanders would benefit from this setup, but of course, some may not as well if there is too much gear to travel with, in a way that a mattress might hinder unloading or storage of gear.
Not everyone lives in their car where having a mattress at the ready is the ideal solution.

Many of us travel to destinations with a few hundred pounds of "gear" and utilize the "cargo" area for "cargo".
Having a mattress in the way exacerbates loading/unloading of "gear".
Thus, having something that folds up and out of the way during such travels allows for said "gear" to be easily accessible, loaded and unloaded.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Not that I've tried.

But, I have the "gear" to do so.

:D
I'm personally looking to have my Plano storage boxes on the roof in a similar fashion to this:

(credit user: Surf and Snow)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I made my own screens with ~$30 bucks of supplies at Home Depot, Screen, magnets, and ultra duty duct tape. I will say I wasn't a huge fan of the air mattress route in the X, filling, deflating, and very noisy.
I'm contemplating something like a Japanese futon bed, roll up style so it takes up less space but will provide padding.
For bug screens, I went an even cheaper route and just used some leftover fiberglass screen material from when I did my house screens and blue masking tape. I've left them on for up to four days and the tape did not leave any residue and remained in place at highway speeds. My wife didn't care for the look, however, but I don't care!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For bug screens, I went an even cheaper route and just used some leftover fiberglass screen material from when I did my house screens and blue masking tape. I've left them on for up to four days and the tape did not leave any residue and remained in place at highway speeds. My wife didn't care for the look, however, but I don't care!
Whatever beat the skeeters, I'm down for! I think we need electric screens to zap them as well.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts