Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Xterra's Gear Basket (the 'bin' between the roof rack rails) does latch, but doesn't lock. Here is my version of how to change that.

The first thing to do is to read the Locking Roof Bin thread in the Exterior forum.

Instead of the Southco 92-41-511 L handle I used the Southco 92-21-531 T handle. Any of these series of Southco handles will work, but the ones that have a larger grip range than the 92-41-511 may have to have their shaft trimmed in order to fit properly.

I tried a number of sources in Canada to get Southco products, from local locksmiths to national distributors, with no luck, until I contacted Steeves Agencies in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I spoke with Greg, who gave me a quote for the Southco 92-41-511 L handle, as well as for the 92-21-531 T handle. Because he had the T handle in stock, it meant that I could get it quicker, and it was less expensive as well.

I started by removing the gear basket from the truck. It attaches with four screws, which can be removed using the screwdriver that comes with the Xterra(next to the jack).

Here is the stock handle:

Here is what you get when you order a 92-21-531 handle:

The shaft of the 92-21-531 is about 1 inch longer than the stock handle:

I cut off about 3/4 of an inch of the shaft of the 92-21-531, and used the hardware that came with the stock handle:

And here it is installed:

·
on line
291 Posts
Syndicate said:
Very nice job man.

This is certainly on my mods list for the near future, especially since I'm thinking about mounting some lights to the lid.
X2, thank for the write up dpatton!

·
on line
33 Posts
excellent upgrade.

may I ask what you guys put in your roof bin? this summer I would have liked to put in some mud covered motocross body armor, but it didn't fit. neither did a muddy pair of 3/4 boots. aside from muddy (you get the theme) clothes which I can just put in a plastic bag anyway, I haven't found much use for that storage bin yet.

·
on line
291 Posts
I use it for straps and shackles when offroading. Sometimes I'll put a soda up there and drive around so it can get cold.

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rob said:
may I ask what you guys put in your roof bin?
Clean, moist, Pacific air :)

In other words, I live in Vancouver, but I haven't yet made any use of the "gear basket". However, I do plan to put 'whatever fits' up there in terms of recovery gear. Nothing heavy, but likely things like my folding shovel(had this for years - before I could drive, back in the Boy Scouts days), recovery strap, remote control for winch, rope, etc.

I plan to use my Cargo Area storage shelf (Lobo mod) for light things such as gloves, rain poncho, rope, flashlight, etc., as well as a 'temporary' space for things I will use when on camping trips, as I sleep in the back of my truck.

That will leave the storage area under the cargo area floor for things that don't fit in the gear basket or on the shelf, or are too heavy for those places(e.g. grade 8 chain with hooks).

·
on line
1,320 Posts
about the same as the other guys; tie-down straps, a couple bungees...
One mistake I made... i bought a cheap come-along and kept it up there; i hadn't used it in a couple months and the time came when i was running some fence on some of our land... i go get it and the handle almost fell off... turns out, from shaking around up there one of the nuts had worked loose, i was still able to use it because the bolt would stay on place if i held it face down... then, i was about halfway done and i go to release the tension and the whole damn thing blows up in my hand. Turns out again not just the handle nut had worked loose but about 3 others were gone too and it was just pure luck that it held together as long as it did.
Moral of the story don't buy cheap come-alongs... or store them where they're not subject to that much vibration/shock.
Oh yeah, and then I had to take apart the fairing thing on theroof rack to get all the nuts outta there!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
rob said:
Rubber boots, tow strap, sometimes wet life jackets

·
on line
1,831 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I think I'd lock the bin and use the lock sextera? posted for the nuts. For that price and a integrated ballast, that's just too cool. You got to think replacement cost though and use the arsenal to protect the investment.
Get a picture of that for the X mas list of the man that has everything! LOL Whoooooo! I thought $200 for my Hellas was pushing it!
The light them babies put off may change the time the sun rises!
MC

1 - 20 of 94 Posts