I finally got around to doing the Lobo Shelf Mod. I loved having the extra usable Storage Area, but couldn't stand the rattling noise. It drove me nuts, and I took the shelf out the next day. I liked calijetfxr's idea of dipping the Cargo Hooks and the Carabiners in Plastic Dip. I applied three coats of the rubberizer material, but there was still some noise. It wasn't the annoying rattling, but the whole shelf was still swinging back and forth a lot. I knew there had to be a solution. I decided to make the front attaching points stronger to stop the swaying. Here is my own version of the Lobo Mod.
Here is What I Started With:
I got it from Lowes for about $5. It is 14 Gauge 1 inch by 1 inch Steel. A 3 foot long piece is the shortest they had. One foot would have probably been sufficient, if it was available.
I started by cutting the corner out to allow room for the bends. I didn't have the correct tools available at the time, so I made the cuts with Metal Sheers, (Tin Snips).
I used a pair of Pliers to grip the two Tabs and fold them over to create the Mounting Surface.
I drilled a hole in the side of the Bracket, 3.5 inches from the top Mounting Surface. This is the Front Pivot Point for the Shelf. The overall length of the Bracket is just over 4 inches. After I got all the measurements worked out, I repeated the steps for the opposite side:
Here are the Brackets after 3 coats of Duplicolor Flat Grey Primer. It is a close match to the Grey Interior Upholstery Material. I enlarged the Pivot Hole on the side to 3/8 inch to accommodate a 1/4 inch inside diameter Rubber Grommet. I picked up a pair of the Grommets at Lowes for about a Buck. I figured they would eliminate any rattling between the Shelf and my Brackets.
I had to cut out two of the thinner Bars on each side of the Shelf where the Brackets would connect to it.
I trimmed out the corners like most people do for a standard Lobo Mod. Cutting out this section on the ends keeps them from hitting the Rear Window Pillar.
While I was at it, I added a Bracket to make the Maglight very eash to access. I used two 1 inch wide strips of thin Tin, (I think it was intended to be Roof Flashing). It is folded around the Shelf Bars to keep everything tight and stable. As I said earlier, I can't stand Rattling. Here's a shot of the Brackets with and without the Maglight in it. By the way, you can get these Brackets almost anywhere they sell Maglights. The Maglight company actually makes the Brackets, and they're pretty cheap. I bought them a while ago, so I don't remember the store or the actual price.
Here are the Brackets installed onto the Shelf prior to mounting them. I used the original bolts that held the Cargo Hooks in place. I put a large washer between the bolt and the Bracket to make sure there was even pressure holding up the Bracket.
Here are two shots of it installed and hanging open and then hooked in the normal position. It is solid as a Rock! It doesn't move at all! There is not a single Squeak or Rattle from the whole assembly. I love it! Like I said, I can't stand Rattles anywhere, so this is one of my favorite mods so far.
If you already have a Lobo Shelf in your X, I highly recommend this Modification to it. It will cost you about $5 for the Angle Iron, $1 for the Grommets, and $2 for a can of Grey Primer which is of course optional. The whole thing is very quick and easy except for paint drying time. Otherwise, you can probably knock it out in an hour or so.