Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
36 Posts
After I installed my Lobo Shelf, I loaded it up with all kinds of goodies. Then the next problem appeared. All the goodies were blocking the Light from the Cargo Area Dome Lamp. Here is my 'How-to' for adding additional lighting for use with a Lobo Shelf.

For this Project you Need:
(2) Utility Light Fixtures. Incandescent, LED, whatever. You can pick up a pair for a couple Bucks at any AutoParts Store.
Approximately 10 feet of 2-conductor Wire. I used some spare 18-guage Speaker Wire I had laying around.
Some Ring and Spade Connectors and a couple very small machine screws and matching nuts. I picked up these supplies at Lowes:

Here is a shot of the Rear Cargo Light Fixture with the Bulb removed. Note that the Positive is Constant and the Ground is Switched by either On/Off/Door Switch. There are only two screws holding it up to the Roof:

Cut about a 40" Section of the 2-condutor Wire. Crimp a Ring Connector on each Wire on one end. Crimp one Male and one Female Spade Connector on the other end. (If you use Bullet Connectors instead of Spade, I would recommend using the Female end on the Positive Wire so it won't short to Ground accidentally when not connected). Use the small screws to connect the Ring Terminals to the Tabs that hold the Bulb ends in place. The benefit of doing it this way is that you haven't destroyed anything to make your Connections. You can always remove the screws and replace the original Bulb. Also, the Three Position Switch on the Dome Lamp Fixture still controls the new lights we are installing. Here is a shot of it assembled:

Feed that Wire up through the Dome Light opening and snake it over to the Passenger-side Forward Cargo Hook opening. There isn't much room to work in there, but you can get a little more space by removing all Four Cargo Hooks. I didn't get a good shot of it, but I drilled a hole in the little Plastic Cup that goes in the Cargo Hook hole above the Hook. Leave a couple inches of Wire and the Connectors hanging down, and then reinstall the Factory Dome Light.

Attach the new Cargo Light Fixtures to the Lobo Shelf and Wire them up with the Speaker Wire. I wired mine in Parallel, so I wouldn't lose both Lights if one Burns out. Here is the Driver-side installed:

And here is the Passenger-side. You can see the Wire leading up to the Connectors at the Shelf Hinge Point.

All the Wiring is secured to the Shelf with Zip-ties. Here is the final product wired up and turned on:

It works like a champ. The Control Switch on the Factory Dome Lamp Fixture works great to control the new Lights. Having them on both sides really adds a lot of light to the Cargo Area. And when you lean in to grab some gear, your head doesn't eclipse the single Light in the middle. If I have to remove the Lobo Shelf for some reason, I have a quick way to disconnect the Wiring at the Hinge Point instead of having to unwire things.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I'm impressed with this mod! I have noticed that my big fat head also blocks the light when I lean in the cargo area. This looks like a perfect solution. Nice job!

·
on line
551 Posts
Looks good, but how about a battery powered LED or Flourescent fixture?
We had one in our topper and have a couple flourescents for the trailer and house and work great. 4 C or D cells and last a long time.
Just a thought

·
on line
83 Posts
just saw this thread and wanted to add my 2cents that i did today.......added 2 12" CCFL (computer modding lights) to the bottom of my lobo rack...they dont seem too bright in the pics but they really are....i just wired them to the dome light's power source and ran the wires through the seat belt pod thing in the ceiling and zip-tied the inverter to the back of the lobo rack...you can see where the wires run to the back of the rack

·
on line
323 Posts
Ok, since nobody answered... I ventured out on my own for this mod. 18/2 black lamp wire, 2 #4-40 .5" screws and 2 nuts to fit. Small ring connectors and insulated quick release disconnects... Wired up the dome light fixture as above with one exception. When I took out all 4 roof hooks and the back rear, right plastic post, the disconnects would seem to get hung up in all the stuff between the roof and headliner. I removed the disconnects, taped the 18 gauge wire to a hanger and then pushed all through the dome lamp opening over to the rear passenger window and then finagled the wire to the correct roof clamp opening. I drilled a hole in the corner of the hard plastic fitting there and then put on the disconnects. I set up my lights (utility lights from Autozone) on the lobo shelf with hardware I had laying around and they are screwed on tight rather than zip-tied. I fabbed up bracket and used the existing hardware that came with the utility lights. Exposed screw points were covered with rubber grommets and electrical tape and then I parallel wired up the lights making note which wire I would use for the positive and which side of the lamp wire would be the negative. I made sure to maintain that integrity of the wire, tapped in one light and the end of the line attached to light #2 on the driver side. Reattached the Lobo shelf and connected the set up, reinstalled the dome light fixture and all worked to my surprise (the first time). I am shocked to have been able to do this without wrecking something.
Pretty easy to do with minimal electrical skills. I'll see how it works at night in about 2 hours.

·
TNX Administrator
20,444 Posts
Another Great 2006 Mod - All (07) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

Reactions: MrBoJangles_91
1 - 13 of 13 Posts