Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, So I dropped my X off at the dealership today to have a few things looked at and repaired. I got a phone call earlier today saying that a squirrel or mouse decided to destroy my engine wire harness and abs sensors and a few other important wires. *&$&#) not good... they are not finished with the findings yet, but so far the quote is well over $2000.00. and that's not the final. I know thats labor also, but this is something well over my head. so the service manager suggested that I contact my car insurance and see if they can do anything. ( I just switched to Allstate 2 days before i noticed the lights on the dashboard) so i call my agent up, tell him whats going on. he tells me, ok, we will start a claim and go from there. I still have to get it inspected by the Allstate inspector, but he's pretty sure that they will cover all the damages. I chose the plan with 0 deductible, so nothing out of pocket for that. amazing!!

Anyway, this also happened to my wifes suv last year, but not nearly as extensive!!! so what do i do to keep these damn things from doing it again??? i've read online about sprays and oils. does anyone here have any personal stories or remedies to keep these rodents out of my truck?? thanks everyone!!!:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
10 Posts
At the shop I work at we put rat poison pellets in the engine bay area. Like on top of the engine by the fuel injectors, over around the air cleaner. They usually choose spots that are warm. I had to put some in my girlfriends car cause I found some chewed wires. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to stay away from actual poison if I can for now, between my kids and the dog, I don't need anybody I love sick. but thanks for the idea!! I won't disregard it all together!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Do you park outside or have a garage?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i live in a wooded area, so unless they tear down the Forrest behind my property, i'm kinda stuck. don't have a garage, so i have to park on the street. I see squirrels sitting on my tires from time to time, didn't know they were trying to sabotage me...

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Throwing this out there... no idea if there is such a product, or even if it would work.

Ever see the rodent repelent devices? You know, the ones that plug into the wall of your house and supposedly emit a high pitched noise. If you park close enough to your house, perhaps that radius would cover your X?

Alternatively, what if someone made that for cars? But it would likely be on all the time, draining the battery.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Get a cat. Farmer next to me has a few mousers that swing by my place making their rounds.
Haven't seen a mouse in years but when I lived in the mountains, some ate most of the drivers
seat in my old truck. GL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to second the moth ball recommendation - throw some in an old sock and tie it in an out of the way place under your hood. I had mice chew out most of my coolant hoses last winter and it was a ~$600 dealer fix after a hose exploded on the way to work and I dumped all my coolant on the road. The tech there recommended moth balls to prevent future issues.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've heard the moth balls from other friends as well. do you think if I got two really big moth balls and tied them in a sock and hung it from my hitch, would that keep the mice away? =)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Put moth balls in a small panty hose style sock. Hang these in a couple places in the engine bay. Even keeps cats out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts