Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
HOW-TO: IPDM-ER Replacement

The Nissan Dealership will charge you $500-$600 for a simple job. The part will cost you around $110 from Brian with www.nissanonlineparts.com and less than an hour of your time.

This job will only take 20-30mins with a long nose pliers, but without one and just with your bare hands, it'll take 45mins. Trust me, I did the latter, and it wasn't fun at all.

1- Remove the battery negative cable first then the positive.
2- Remove the IPDM upper black plastic cover then release the two plastic clips on the IDPM and use a small flat screw driver to push the connector locks inward to release and remove each of the seven plugs.
3- After all the plugs are removed lift the board pull out upside down only.
4- Remove the board and insert the replacement board (or make the temporary relay swap) and reconnect the seven plugs and finally the battery cable(s).
5- Do a drive test around the block and have a beer. Don't drive and drink tho.

adding to what brian posted..here's another pic of the IPDM:

For those that need to perform the TEMPORARY relay swap:
(See picture/diagram below for relays to swap)
Note: A common pliers tool will assist removal of the relays if a temporary repair is to be used.

Don't worry about the other relays. The only relays that you wanna worry about are the two that are encircled. The top encircled one is the ECM relay and the fourth relay down is the Fog Light Relay. All you have to do is switch the two relay around and try to start your X.

Pin configurations of all relays are the same and consist of four blades. You must pay attention to put them back in facing the same direction or they won't plug into the sockets properly so take note when removing.

All four relays on the ECM and Fog Light Relay side of the board face the same direction. All of the relays on the upper five relay side of the board have a NAIS 4 number like the ECM relay side of the board with four relays (which, like I said, you don't have to mess around with)

DON'T FORGET: Like I have said before, this is temporary. It'll get you home or do an emergency beer run. Do not let your X run with this swap for a long time. Replace it as soon as possible. Call Brian from Cherry Hill Nissan or nissanonlineparts.com for the part. He has it listed for $103 + shipping.

:drink:

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
This is going to be an issue with alot of models soon, apparently there is a flaw in the design of the original IPDM's.... Let's see how long it takes to start.....

PLEASE TAKE NOTE: The cheap IPDM is no longer available, Nissan discontinued the original one, and replaced it with an upgraded unit. The new Unit runs about $325.00
They have started a recall for this issue, where they replace the faulty relay (ECM Relay) with a re-engineered one.
This relay is available for purchase on our site as well: 284B7-CW29E

Just so you know.

Updated 1/18/2012

·
on line
16,147 Posts
^ your lights do funky crap or your truck doesn't start....people have also blown fuses continually no matter what they do.

nice writeup....my fav step is step 5...just sayin....:dontknow: :cheers:

·
on line
2,303 Posts
My ipdm module was the cause of lots of lights but most importantly my rear locker function. The ipdm controls the diff lock position switch and after a rear end swap with no luck with the locker...the ipdm was replaced it locked up instantly and still does to this day.

My brake issues on the other hand...the ABS light is coming on and my brakes are acting funny, I just replaced the rear rotors and pads...fronts were fine??

·
on line
6,543 Posts
Intelligent Power Distribution Model

Yes - I had to look that up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So thats what it means... The pathy guys have been having issues with this as well and have been replacing them with titian ipdm's cause their cheeper with no real difference from what i understand. Something to consider.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ dude. tsk tsk tsk.

·
Registered
166 Posts
^ your lights do funky crap or your truck doesn't start....people have also blown fuses continually no matter what they do.

nice writeup....my fav step is step 5...just sayin....:dontknow: :cheers:
So Rook, is there a way to diagnose when the IPDM is going bad...any SES or other warning codes that the comp would alert us about or just things like what you said, blow fuses lights etc...? I'm not having any probs yet but I definitely want to keep an eye on these things. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So Rook, is there a way to diagnose when the IPDM is going bad...any SES or other warning codes that the comp would alert us about or just things like what you said, blow fuses lights etc...? I'm not having any probs yet but I definitely want to keep an eye on these things. Thanks!
well.. if you're driving down the road, then next thing you know is that your engine sputters like it's doing having hiccups and you can't accelerate, you look at your dash and it's lighting up like 4th of july. You pull to the side of the road, turned it off, waited for a bit, then started it again, and voila, it's like nothing happened, then give it or take 5 min later, it does the same thing again. So you go to your dealership, rape you with their "$120 diagnostic fee" and they tell you it's your IPDM. (ask me how i know...)

oh, sorry Rook, wasn't really trying to steal your thunder.

Reactions: JeffInDFW

·
Registered
166 Posts
well.. if you're driving down the road, then next thing you know is that your engine sputters like it's doing having hiccups and you can't accelerate, you look at your dash and it's lighting up like 4th of july. You pull to the side of the road, turned it off, waited for a bit, then started it again, and voila, it's like nothing happened, then give it or take 5 min later, it does the same thing again. So you go to your dealership, rape you with their "$120 diagnostic fee" and they tell you it's your IPDM. (ask me how i know...)

oh, sorry Rook, wasn't really trying to steal your thunder.
Thanks buddy...I figured there were some very "clear" systems that would send up the red flag to this problem. Damn...$120 that is crap! I hope they refund that if you get the work done....but probably not. Anyhow thanks for the input and I will definitely replace if the 4th July ends up in my cockpit!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks buddy...I figured there were some very "clear" systems that would send up the red flag to this problem. Damn...$120 that is crap! I hope they refund that if you get the work done....but probably not. Anyhow thanks for the input and I will definitely replace if the 4th July ends up in my cockpit!
no problem dude.. just don't want any other X lovers fall for stealership's raping of their customers. lol. and no, they didn't refund me cause it was gonna be 600 bones if they do it, so i called up brian at cherry hill nissan and i installed it myself.. took around 30mins bare hands.

·
on line
1,059 Posts
It doesn't have to mean the engine will sputter.. My IPDM is going bad due to the fog light mod I did causing me to have no parking lights in the front and back. With no engine problems.

I used a multi-tester and figured there's no power to the fuse spot for the tail lamps. I had also gotten a u1000 code.

·
on line
935 Posts
this is another example of one of nissan's epic fails. the xterra/frontier/pathfinder are not the only ones that are showing an increasing number of IPDM faults. the titans and some of their other models are having the problem also.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Why not recall them then? I wish they would get there heads out of there ass's and fix the **** that dont work! stand by there products for once

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^x2 i guess it's job security..

1 - 20 of 174 Posts