Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the interior bike rack that CHaDSTeRXTERRA05 did (http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4301) and expanded on the idea.

I wanted a way to mount the bike and the hi-lift inside, out of the elements. I hoped to be bale to mount both at the same time, but the measurements didn't work out for me...

I started with a 39" Thule cross rail, and a few other parts:

I stuck with the shorter bar so that I could slide it all the way back with out hitting the wheel wells, in order to open the cubby if needed.

I used 6 "4H Yakima" type mounts. I got them from a local shop, Rocky Mounts, for $2 a piece. I used them to attach to the tracks in the back and to attach the fork chucks to the bar. I used wing nuts so that I can slide them in/out or flip them to adjust for width handle bars in the future.

The two mounts for the hi-lift just barely fit in between the chucks. I drilled a big hole on the bottom so I could get my socket in there, and a smaller on the top for the bolt.

Finished product pics:

What hi-lift?

I took a short drive around with the hi-lift in, and I didn't hear it rattle at all. Notice in some of the pics, I put a bungee on the foot plate so it wouldn't.

...and since I have 2 more pics.

Here is why you don't use a wood bit on metal:

And now that I'm done, time for beer!

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Sorry, just a little to much in the way--

--I just keep mine under the back seats, no bulge, no rattle, no interferance with the seats--

--You'll never know it's there--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
3,218 Posts
"I just keep mine under the back seats"
Shirley (ha), you've got a place for it on the trailer now? While the under the seat method certainly works, it just isn't feasible for my situation. To the roof for mine..

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown:-Yo DBAX, how come it ain't feasable ???

--You know, it works with seats up stock or bottoms removed !!

--No, I don't think I'll put it in the trailer, sometimes I will be out without the trailer, so I still might need the jack--

---You know, for flats, or lift the X off hitch hikers --

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Mainly because, I usually have the Akita with me. While I can get away with penning him up in the back with the two back seats up, it's not a lot of room for him, so I usually put down at least one seat. Then there's the baby.. While I've limited our wheeling to reeaall slow, and nothing too tippy, his seat base takes up one side of the backseats, and to have to remove the carrier/base to access the jack, seems like a hassle. I'm working on something for the roof, it's fine up there. Remember, it doesn't rain in AZ, so the elements are no big deal ;) . Although in hindsight, trying to lift your tuck with a jack handle that's been in the desert sun for any length of time, can lead to serious burns.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: -Yea, thats why we had all those fires in Southern California, cause it never rains there either--

--I imagine, by carrying that jack on top in the hot sun for a while, you'll need gloves to handle it, but now I FULLY understand your situation, I ain't dumb, just a bit retarded !!!

--Good day--JIMBO

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I considered under the seat when I bought it, but mine was a bit greasy... and I think after putting it in the mud and such to lift the truck I wouldn't want to put up under the seat, much less having it rest on the seatback.

...and I like the coolness factor, or rather what I feel is the originality factor :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts