Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there have been a few of these, but one more never hurts. This one might even be the cheapest yet (?).

Shopping list:
(2) Front fork mounts (Here are the ones I used for $10 ea: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=3702&item=00-1616&slitrk=search&slisearch=true )
(1) 40" long 2x6
(2) M6-1.00x65 mm bolt with washers (I used larger fender washers)
(4) 1/4" lag screws with washers

Mounting:
Pretty self explanatory... I mounted the fork mounts staggered so the bikes fit a little tighter and away from the windows. Bolt position so it mounts in the cargo channel and uses the factory tie-down "channel slider" (not sure what you call it... the piece the tie downs mount to) is 2" in on each side, 1" down. I welded a piece of 1/4" rod to the top of each bolt so I could tighten/remove the whole thing without tools. Rear tires are held down with a ratchet strap thru the factory hoops in the back of the rear seats. Bikes are medium (17.5") frame Iron Horse Maverick 5.5 MTB.

Took it on a few rough roads this weekend and held up great! I like having the bikes safely stowed inside and out of the weather, and can't beat the price! I also made the rear cargo carpet... $15 at Lowes for 3'x10' sure beats $70 at the dealer; it even has a rubber-like backing... and had plenty leftover, so added some to the top of the 2x6 to make it look a little better. We had it packed with a weekends worth of camping gear, too, but will be picking up a Coleman rack shortly for our next adventures... just will make life sooo much simplier.

·
on line
564 Posts
Looks good. I need to find someone to weld a 1/4" rod to my bolts...that's a bunch easier than breaking out the wrench every time I want to remove the bike rack.

Rob

·
on line
131 Posts
Cool! I have two of those bike tights on the way and plan to make a rack this weekend. Mine will be more like this (I hope): http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4609&highlight=bike+rack

I like the way yours turned out, especially with the staggered mounts.
It's nice to see that ingenuity beats the crap out of relying on the stealership to provide a rack for $200 or more.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
robnfl said:
Looks good. I need to find someone to weld a 1/4" rod to my bolts...that's a bunch easier than breaking out the wrench every time I want to remove the bike rack.

Rob
If you can't find somebody local, send me $10 to cover parts and postage and I'll make you a set. Otherwise, bring the bolts into a metal shop in your area and just tell them you want a piece of the rod tacked on and I'd think they'd do it for you (especially if you could have the matl in hand when you walked in).

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
danh1023 said:
Cool! I have two of those bike tights on the way and plan to make a rack this weekend. Mine will be more like this (I hope): http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4609&highlight=bike+rack

I like the way yours turned out, especially with the staggered mounts.
It's nice to see that ingenuity beats the crap out of relying on the stealership to provide a rack for $200 or more.
Yeah, staggered mounts is why I went with the 2x6. My first attempt was just thrown together quickly to get them home with a 2x4 and the mounts in line with each other. However, the ends of the handlebars were touching each other and the other ends were more-or-less touching the side windows, so that is why I wanted to stagger them. I was surprised there was enough room to do it, but worked out perfect, and now I don't have to sweat a broken side window as much.

·
on line
564 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
robnfl said:

Rob
If you can't find somebody local, send me $10 to cover parts and postage and I'll make you a set. Otherwise, bring the bolts into a metal shop in your area and just tell them you want a piece of the rod tacked on and I'd think they'd do it for you (especially if you could have the matl in hand when you walked in).
Yeah...that's what I was thinking...I just need to to make the time to go to a metal shop.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts