Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a box, two alpine 4ohm single-voice coils, and a alpine 450 amp for christmas. I already installed the speakers in the box, but now I need to run the wire.

What wires do I need? I have an Alpine head unit. I'm thinking I need 2 or 4 gauge power wire, speaker wire, rca audio wire, and a fuse? What kind of fuse do I get? How would you mount it on our truck? I'm going to mount the amp under the passenger seat, did you guys put a piece of wood under the amp and screw into the frame?

Thanks!

·
on line
54 Posts
karrot-x said:
I got a box, two alpine 4ohm single-voice coils, and a alpine 450 amp for christmas. I already installed the speakers in the box, but now I need to run the wire.

What wires do I need? I have an Alpine head unit. I'm thinking I need 2 or 4 gauge power wire, speaker wire, rca audio wire, and a fuse? What kind of fuse do I get? How would you mount it on our truck? I'm going to mount the amp under the passenger seat, did you guys put a piece of wood under the amp and screw into the frame?

Thanks!

you have several different way of running this.... with that power you could really even use an 8ga. wire.. but that also depends on if you do additions in the future ie.. and more amps, or higher watt amps.. but thats a completly different conversation.. for the single amp, i would run a 8ag power lead under the floor tirm or the carpet to the location of your choice.. under the rear sets, passenger seat behind rear seats, cargo hold...etc...place a fuse somewhere along the line... somewhere you can access it easily... preferably 5"-6" from you battery...
i like these..

http://streetwires.com/products/inLineFuseHold/AGUholders.cfm

i would use a 30amp fuse

after mounting the amp in you location..i would use under the passenger seat...then run an 8ga. ground somewhere close to the chassis.

next you need to run the rca's...it is not recomended running them next to your power lead because of noise interfearence... try the oppisie side of the car...

with rca's you really get what you pay for.... ive bought cheap rca's in the past and i i got a lot of interference.. not a clean sound... then i bought higher end wire and the sound is great... the choice is yours...

next is you subs... how did you wire them?? parrellel or series??

look at this for a more detiled description of this..

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/elementaldesigns_wiring.php

this will determine who you wire you subs to your amp

after hooking everything up and testing them .. there comes tuning the amp....

hope this helps

·
on line
54 Posts
usmc xterra said:
I think he has you covered! Sweet! MC

well thank you... feel free to add anything i missed

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. How do I connect the power wire to the battery? Should I just splice the wire somewhere and solder it on? My amp has 2 20amp fuses in it. Do I still need a fuse? Should I rip up the carpet and run the wires underneath? When mounting the amp, do I drill into the frame?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!

·
on line
844 Posts
well two things I'd add to this would be to use 4ga wire, because it isn't that much more expensive and it's easier to run wire once, and get a 40amp circuit breaker for the under-the-hood fuse holder. if your amp is fused, you should be ok not putting a fuse at the amp (although it never hurts) and as far as choosing wire here is the best link you could ever bookmark:

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

(if you scroll about halfway down you'll see the wire gauge chart)

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I went to circuit city and got one of those install kits. I've connected the battery terminal and fuse. Now I don't know how to get it inside the truck. How do you take off the headunit casing?

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I ran my power cable through the driver side firewall right above the large black grommet that all the factory wires pass through. Do yourself a favor and get a nice waterproof grommet like this: http://www.cardomain.com/item/STRFWB8.

As far as removing the head unit look in the howto section for it. - Stereo Removal

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I drilled through the firewall right above where the factory wiring harness enters the cabin. If you get on your back on the driverside floor and lookup the firewall you will see where the wires come in. They are above the brake pedal and to the outside of the vehicle. You will be amazed at how much room you will have to drill. (If you need it I can snag a picture in about an hour.)

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, thanks. I see where the factory comes in, but i'm still not sure where to drill. I don't want to really hurt something :0.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Here you go - BTW - below the grommet is dirt, not rust.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, thanks. You have a lot of space near your factory grommet, I have 0 clearance, there's something metal right in the way. Let me take a pic and show you. Did you take out the alternator ( i think that's what it is ) to do it?

[/img]

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Is yours a manual (transmission)? I don't have any of that stuff there! For your reference the alternator is near the bottom of the engine, you can see it when you remove the skid plate.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya, its manual....

OK good news, I got the wire through the firewall. Now I need to hookup the power, how do I connect the 4 guage to the amp? The amp looks like it takes 22 gauge.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
YOu can either buy a power distribution block and put the 8 gauge into the block and a smaller gauge out of the block.

Or I think they make a type of "post connector" or needle connector that is just a post that you crimp onto the end of the wire that you can then insert into the amp power connector.

What wattage is the amp? It should accept a 8-10 gauge.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
I just realized you are using 4 gauge. If the amp doesnt accept 4 gauge, then you have to use a power distribution block, which I mentioned above. I used one in another car and it worked out nicely b/c I had a 4 gauge wire running to th etrunk into a distribution block, then had 2, 8 gauge wires going to both amps...one for subs and the other for components. Worked out nicely. If you plan on adding a second amp, I highly recommend a distribution block. They are only like 20-30 bucks.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, sweet! I got everything hooked up!. Now I need to hide the wires, I've tested everything to make sure it works. Now the hardest part!

WOOHOOO!!!1
BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts