Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could swear I once read that you can remove a winch from the bumper without taking the whole bumper off... I took a look and I don't see how it would fit but who knows. I hate taking the damn thing off just to get to the winch. Well as it turns out there is a way....read below, pictures for the "gimme now" crowd.

*The screw that holds the winch rope to the drum broke halfway so I need to "remove" the bottom half of the screw and start over. Total PITA for one stupid screw!

First remove the grill... Taking out the black thingies, also popping out the side "v" clips on both the right and left of the grill and the bottom of the honey comb...just be gentle but firm

Next you need to remove the bottom part of the metal piece that the bottom of the honey comb grill clips into, it had bolts on it 10mm btw

now you should have plenty 'o room to move the winch in and out

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Good luck....seems like that would be hard/impossible to do without taking off the bumper.

Is there a removable winch plate or does it sit on the plate that is welded to the bumper?

for some reason i thought I heard it came with a removable winch plate...I know there is a remote solenoid mounting "plate" but that isn't what i mean...

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
totally forgot i posted this. I was able to get it out, actually today after work. You must remove the grill assy and also the little metal piece that the honey comb clips into, i think there was like 5 bolts all together for it. Then just unbolted the winch and disconnected the wires and ta-da! much easier than removing the whole bumper then removing the winch and putting the bumper on again...specially by myself.

i'll snap some pictures tomorrow. But yes, you can remove a winch from the Shrockworks bumper without removing the bumper.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thas is how I put mine in. Installed the bumper, removed the grill and metal support and the winch slid right in. I have a warn 9.5ti which is pretty big and fit no problem
^That's what I did to take mine out. Simple process, wish I would've known...

I'll take some pictures when I get home on how things fit and then come out

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Put my Warn winch in finally today. Just took the grill and metal support off and in went the wench. Wish the wiring for the remote plug was longer . Used a 2x6 joist hanger as a mount for the solenoid box. No need to take off the bumper. I never put the metal support back in. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like you removed the steel bumper support, which in other threads and shrockworks instructions tell you to knotch out the bumper support beam to fit a winch. Does anyone have anything to say about removing the entire bumper support beam? I think thats the only way you’d be able to fit a winch in and out (without removing the bumper).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like you removed the steel bumper support, which in other threads and shrockworks instructions tell you to knotch out the bumper support beam to fit a winch. Does anyone have anything to say about removing the entire bumper support beam? I think thats the only way you’️d be able to fit a winch in and out (without removing the bumper).
okay reading again while im not rushing through my install. Sounds like there no real point in keeping the bumper support piece on. I dont know why anyone would cut it up like the shrockworks instructions say to, when you could just remove the whole piece...

·
TNX Senior Member
418 Posts
I don’t think you can even install a schrockworks bumper in conjunction with that stock bumper piece if I remember correctly, but maybe I’m wrong. I just put mine up this summer, and it went right into the recycling bin.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
okay reading again while im not rushing through my install. Sounds like there no real point in keeping the bumper support piece on. I dont know why anyone would cut it up like the shrockworks instructions say to, when you could just remove the whole piece...
It's not the bumper beam you cut, it's the little piece of sheet metal that holds the bottom edge of your grill in place. The full bumper beam comes off and you use those mounting points for the new bumper.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's not the bumper beam you cut, it's the little piece of sheet metal that holds the bottom edge of your grill in place. The full bumper beam comes off and you use those mounting points for the new bumper.
Maybe I didnt do the best job describing what I had posted. Let me start by saying there are two steel parts the the stock bumper. 1. The bumper and 2. The bumper support. The bumper support is about 8” above the bumper and is used to brace the grill assy and to hold the wires for your passenger fog light if you have them. You call it a little piece of sheetmetal, shrockworks calls it a “bumper support”

1 - 15 of 15 Posts