Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Ok people, This is the Quick Removable Inside Bike rack by MC.

This MOD varies according to your bike size and what type it is, shown is a Giant NRS2 Small.

Here is what you get.

Here is what you need besides your Brain housing group and proper tools. A Ramp Plate, $10 Tractor supply and a Bike Hitch, $15 Bike shop.

This, it what you will turn it into. I Bike rack that slips on and off the head rests, yes you can do two! And it's so dam neat I will be!

1st Fit your bike to the interior, Mine goes like 1/2 in off center of head rest because my handlebar would smash out the rear window on a slam had I not. Also. consider length, and height. Now set it like this, and determine where you will drill your new holes that will fit onto headrest bars. As shown later. Measure twice cut once.

Next you flatten out the Ramp part to make an angle. I used carpet and a part my wife's cutting board to bring it into shape with a BFH.

Now mark your holes and drill them to size. I think it was 1/2 in.
Stick one side in and then mark for the other.

Notice that part marked in black marker? That comes off to allow headrest to sit down.

Try it on, you will have to do some trimming as it will get tight when you put it on. But trim to fit, not sloppy.

Now you bolt on the bike holder of your choice and whalaa!

As pictured, it's good for a short drive anywhere. I tried it, no problems.

This is a bonus picture, My DH fender just fits with seat in normal position, that sucker almost cost me pain. But fit good, Notice the MC Coil Overs for the head rests? LOL

OK, now, You tie it down how you can. I use a nylon strap and a rubber cord, I go from ceiling hook around seat post 2 - 3 times and pull tight then rubber bungee loops through seat catch and OFF ROAD tight!

It comes off so quick it will make your head spin, But, You may get lazy and leave it there. To keep it from making that rattle sound, cut some fuel line or PVC and put it in and tighten it as if you have a fork in it and Noiseless! An MC requirement!

Now get busy! And post you pictures of your final install so other people can get the idea how different bikes fit. Anyone with a broken rear window, we know you did not read all the instructions :(.

MC

·
on line
123 Posts
Sweet mod mc!
If I didn't have the yakima rack already I would try this out!

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I like that idea. It is quick and takes up hardly any space.

·
on line
23 Posts
Racks

MC - I saw your post on the internal bike rack bolted to your removable cargo area. I was looking at getting the Nissan/Yakima internal rack, but you saved me $$$ showing your post! I bought 2 yakima locking mounts and bolted them into the cargo area, each cost about $20 and take up less room than the Nissan/Yakima, I've actually got my bike in my X right now from yesterday, thank you for your posts! I'll get some pics on here ASAP!

:cheers:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Racks

patch21 said:
MC - I saw your post on the internal bike rack bolted to your removable cargo area. I was looking at getting the Nissan/Yakima internal rack, but you saved me $$$ showing your post! I bought 2 yakima locking mounts and bolted them into the cargo area, each cost about $20 and take up less room than the Nissan/Yakima, I've actually got my bike in my X right now from yesterday, thank you for your posts! I'll get some pics on here ASAP!

:cheers:
Yea I got to find that post and point to this one as an option. Both work fine, I did something else back there so I kept taking my cargo one off and on and I decided to go this way. The one on the cargo has the advantage the bike rolls in easier and comes out easier, Both good ideas but ya have to pick your pain. LOL What I like about this one is, It also fits in my wife's Car so when she bikes alone, she can grab her rack out of my X and slap it in her Vue.

I drive around the US and think this stuff up. LOL I even have a way to get 4 inside, but, where would the other two people sit? LOL

MC

·
on line
788 Posts
Here is my take on it. The bike is pointed in the opposite direction. I used the same bike rack ([email protected]) mount as USMC, but i got a piece of angle aluminum ([email protected] Depot). I put some holes on each end and mounted it to the track system using the plates that came on my OEM Cargo Organizer. you can use any bolt/nut/washer combo. It installs in about 20 seconds and is super easy. I am still trying to figure out how to hold the front (removed) tire in place instead of using bungie cords holding it to the frame. Pics are as follows:

edit: it is very similar to this one: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3176

·
on line
788 Posts
So, not to steal any thunder, but i was trying to think of an easy way to keep the front tire from moving around since it is not attached. This is what I came up with:

I took a piece of 1.5" flat aluminum and bent it to a "s" shape

then i drilled a hole and notched it out at each end so it could fit into the bike wheel quick connects.

Once the bike was inside, i attached the new piece to the back wheel so that it could hold up the front wheel.

it is kindof a pain to setup, but it works well so far.
Let me know what you guys think!
Does anyone else have a better option?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
You could buy a fork mount for it - basically just a giant U that bolts at the bottom and holds your wheel by providing a place for the quick release to grab. I bet REI has 'em - or other rack supplier ... I just said REI since that's where you said the other mount came from. Or frankly, if you wanted, you could probably bend some flat stock to bolt to your cross member; and make your own fork mount.

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
All Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this thread!

Reactions: TerryD
1 - 12 of 12 Posts