Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Purchased a Homelink Visor Model off eBay. My plan was to install it in the recess behind the Visor. In this pic, White Wire is Positive, and the Orange Wire is the Ground. I switched the Wire Positions after pic was taken, for no specific reason, as will be seen in a later pic. Notice the outline of the house around the LED. This is the newer Model Homelinks which take Rolling Codes.

Marked 6 holes.

Used a Drill Bit and punched holes by hand. Trimmed the 'fuzz' around holes with Scissors.

Test fit.

Shortened Wire Taps.

Tapped Positive Wire from Map Lights, (wire positions on Homelink Harness switched from first pic.)

Grounded to a bolt.

Double-side taped a 'spacer' for support and to prevent the headliner from flexing up when Buttons are pressed.

Finished.

Button Pressed.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Freakin sweet! another one to add to the list of things i want to do....

·
on line
9,460 Posts
Gotcha. I figured it was something similar to that, but the microphone next to it threw me off. I thought they were related in the same system, now I know that is not the case.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya for the bluetooth.. i originally had it in the pillar, but the sound on the other end of the phone wasn't to my liking.

·
on line
2,069 Posts
Ya for the bluetooth.. i originally had it in the pillar, but the sound on the other end of the phone wasn't to my liking.
What kind of BlueTooth? I have a Parrot and it works very well. The only issue I have is at full volume, the Tweeters clip. Just wondering if you have run into this as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
OK need help!!!!!!!!!! My headliner is almost a half inch thick, how the hell did you attach your homelink buttons to the board THROUGH THE HEADLINER?????? I have tired everything to smash it together and i'm no fat ass, I'm a firefighter that works out all the time!!!!! what gives

·
on line
463 Posts
Yeah, I just did this the other day and ran into the same problem. Did almost exactly what they said. I just improvised on my way and got it to work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I ordered my Homelink ($24 on Ebay) today so there is a mod in my near future. I may put it by the visor like the original post.

Is the plug/harness end of the homelink facing the driver? Looks like it in the pic. I am guessing this is what controls if the house icon face front or back. Correct?

It doesn't matter to me which way the icon faces, just wondering if there are any pro's/cons if the harness is towards driver or windshield. The headliner is recessed so the clearance is different - not sure if that matters.

If I can solder wires to the switch pads on the Homelink printed circuit board, my initial install will be below the radio. Will grab power from one of the cigarette lighters. It won't work without key but I park in driveway so safer (but you won't see an opener so maybe I will look for an always hot wire - clock stereo?). I will disconnect the wires to my VDC switch(because I never turn it off) and connect that momentary switch to the Homelink.

Hopefully the range will be OK if the homelink is mounted under the stereo. Otherwise it will go up by the visor. Maybe I will also remove my dome light and order a sunglass holder dome light (not and option on the Off Road edition).

If the range is good, there are 3 blanks around my VDC button so if I want VDC working, and all 3 Homelink buttons, it will cost an extra $60 for 3 VDC buttons (Courtesy Nissan price), or drill holes into the blanks and insert switches like the radio shack 275-644 for $3 each (so $21) and have this mod
http://2manytoyz.com/switch.html
but with homelink instead of battery operated remote (which cost almost as much as a Homelink).

Luckily I only really need 1 garage door opener button, unless I add inlaws and parent garage doors.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Home link with 563PB-ND

It is installed.

To avoid cutting into the headliner, I installed the Homelink as described in the original post but skipped the cutting into the headliner. I used a piece of network cable (had old CAT 3 but anything will work - telephone wire will work too) and used 3 of the 4 pair. I soldered to the pads/legs of the switches. Handle carefully after this step because it wasn't designed to hold any weight (except a few grams for the SMT component). I forgot to take a picture but will if I ever have it apart again. (In my car, I did install in the headliner, but I filed down cover piece so the "prongs" were long enough to go through the headliner because my fiancee didn't want me drilling into the dash - plus there wasn't a good location)

P1080819 by gummydmilo, on Flickr

I ran LAN cable across the headliner and down the driver side A pillar - nice little opening that makes it very easy from A pillar to underneath dash.

I ordered switches from digkey (563PB-ND are 2.01 each) and added the rubber boots (532PB-ND are 0.77 each). I ordered a few extra boots just to have on hand.

The switches have a real solid feel - it is "stiff" switch that clicks. Would have preferred a softer feel but no big deal. My second choice was EG4642-ND (blue LED was 1st color choice, but the intensity is 200 vs 50 for green and I didn't want blinding blue LED's - guess I could add a resistor to lower the voltage and dim the LED). I assume the Homelink switch current is less than 100ma, but that is a guess.

I drilled 7/16 holes in the 'knockouts' next to the side mirror controls.

Here is how it looks with 1 switch installed, without boot:

P1060281 563PB-ND by gummydmilo, on Flickr

Both switches with boots on (third switch is behind panel, don't need three otherwise I would have mounted them under radio by VDC switch).

P1060283 by gummydmilo, on Flickr

I was hoping that two switches could fit on a panel, but there isn't enough room with this switch because they are square on the backside (unlike the LED switch - those would work). If I want all three with this switch I need to move them to the center console (I have 2wd so have 3 knockouts - or place them in the circular knockout). The mounted switches are the two outside Homelink buttons so if I ever clear the codes it is easy.

One issue I had is I put the Homelink (I paid $24 on ebay) upside down, because the wires were coming out where the buttons/cover piece is located. I think the antenna is directional because my range was not very good until I flipped over.

·
Banned
2,966 Posts
Well done sir. I just upgraded my rear view mirror, but was on the fence about getting a GenTex with the homelink... its about $100 extra, and I really don't have much use for it. Except after I installed the mirror I realized that I could use the Homelink... mind if I ask how much it cost you?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
they regularly go for $15-25 on ebay.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts