Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heated Mirror How To:

After much debate and a good bit of reading the factory service manual, I have finished the heated mirror install that works off the defroster switch.

If the North American Xterra had heated mirrors, this is the way they would work. The Canadian Xterrra and the Crew Cab Frontier have these mirrors as an option and our Xterra shares some of the components.

I am not going to do a complete write up as most of it is covered well here:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24476

What I am going to do is cover the specifics of the Xterra and any other tips that I discovered during this process.

Warning: Disconnect the battery before installation of any of the wiring. Failure to do so can lead to blown fuses, a damaged ECU or many other issues. Do not turn the ignition on with a disconnected battery. If you do so you will trigger the Service Engine Soon light requiring an ECU reset. Procedures for the ECU reset are located here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/12-electrical/26904-service-engine-soon-light-reset-2.html#post426969

If you don't have a Factory Service Manual, you will find it helpful to download one. Steps to download one are located here: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com
You will be required to sign up for a $20 dollar one day pass and download the manual in sections. There is a thread covering the process here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-gene...als-guides-updated-08-22-2014-a.html#post2122

The only parts you will need to order are the heated mirror glass assemblies themselves. Theses are about $35 each. The part numbers are located in the Club Frontier thread. There is an option to order a cheaper version of the driver's side mirror glass. I chose the more expensive versions as I believe they are of higher quality and they include the heated mirror symbol on the glass.

Other than that, you will need two 25" lengths of 18ga stranded wire in two colors of your choice. You will need male and female spade connectors.

Now that you are ready, let's get started.

First, after ensuring the ignition is off, disconnect the battery's negative terminal.

Locate the IPDM. It's the larger of the two plastic boxes near the firewall behind the battery. Remove the cover by releasing the plastic catches on the right and left sides.

You will see this:

Look at the connector on the left. You will notice that there is a wire missing. This is the wire that is normally used to power the heated mirrors. Nissan left this out of the wiring harness for the Xterra. We are going to fix that.

You will need a female spade connector like this:

Remove the insulating cover (the red bit) if it has one. Crimp it to a 5' section of 18ga wire. Now disconnect the plug referenced above and insert the spade connector into the plug from the backside into the empty space. Plug the connector back into the IPDM. When you are done you should have something like this:

This wire needs to be routed through the firewall ending up in the passenger footwell. There is a handy over sized grommet located next to the IPDM in the firewall. I simply poked a hole through the grommet using a long screwdriver. Be sure to find a good route out of the IPDM box. This may require removing the IPDM from the box and finding space around the existing wire bundle. Then I used a coat hanger to fish the wire through the grommet. I pulled it through from the inside of the passenger compartment.

At this point the installation becomes very similar to the Frontier and you can follow the Club Frontier instructions for the rest of the process. However, you can ignore the parts in the Club Frontier thread about using the factory harness. The only wire we are using is the wire we are running ourselves.

You will have to split the wire you just ran and run one wire to the left door and one wire to the right door. Terminate these wires in a spade connector. This will ease running wires to the mirror as you can run them from the mirror into the vehicle and connect the power together at the spade connector.

For a more technical discussion of the heated mirror system and the differences in the wiring harnesses, see: www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/6078-how-heated-side-mirrors.html

Other hints:

I found it helpful to start the wiring for the mirror at the base of the mirror assembly. That is after disassembling the mirror, feed the power and ground wires through the mirror assembly. Reassemble the mirror components and reattach the assembly to the vehicle routing the wires from the outside to the inside. This is much easier that starting inside the vehicle and running wires to the mirror.

Use a plastic putty knife or plastic trim removal tool to disassemble the armrest on the door. If you use a screwdriver, you will create indents at the seems between the pieces and possibly scratch the plastic.

Use care in routing the wires inside the door. I used split loom to protect the wires. I zip tied them to the existing mirror harness.

Double check the routing of the wires inside the door. It is very easy to run wires in the path of the power window. Make sure you route them around the outside of the window track. Study the route of the existing power mirror harness before beginning. Also watch out for the door stop mechanism. It will catch any loose wires in the area.

Before reassembly of the door, temporarily reattach the power window switch, reconnect the battery and test the window and mirrors for function. To test the heated mirrors, run the rear window defrost. The mirrors will heat up fairly rapidly. Remember to turn the key off before disconnecting the battery again.

PM me with questions. Good Luck.

-Old Army

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Sweet help, this has been on my list for a while. :) nice one

·
on line
81 Posts
Very nice (supplementary) write up. . I had seen the club Frontier thread a bit ago but couldn't really make heads or tails on how to translate it to the Xterra so I gave up on the idea. This definitely makes it much simpler to understand and do.

I went out to find the over sized grommet. Are you talking about the big rubber boot that is about 3 inches in diameter? Mine seems to have L and R stamped on it. There also seems to be a matching one on the drivers side. (I just want to make sure before I go poking holes into things.)

Also, how did you get to the wire once it was inside the car? ;) I think I can just barely reach back behind the blower motor and touch the big wire harness but I could not poke my finder through the carpet foam to actually feel the rubber grommet. Did you just jam a bunch of wire in and then feel around back there till you found it? Then I am also guessing you put a bunch of RTV on the boot to keep water, etc from getting in.

I may try to order the mirrors today if I feel ambitious.

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can use either grommet. There are three of them. One on the passenger side containing wires (hard to get to) and two on the driver's side (one for wiring and one for the MT clutch). If you don't have an MT, one on the passenger side is empty and thus the easiest to use. I used the passenger side grommet. I peirced it next to the wiring bundle using a 12"+ screwdriver. I then threaded a coat hanger through it to which I attached the wire to. I hooked the end of the coat hanger ran the wire through it and taped the contraption up. I did not RTV anything as the seal around the wire is plenty tight. It takes work, but I didn't want to run the wire to the drivers side of the engine compartment.

-Old Army

·
on line
81 Posts
Yes, the passenger side does makes the most sense. Driver side is too far to run the wire. Thanks for the advice on how to do that.

All in all, sounds pretty easy. I am psyched! Hopefully I can find enough warm weekends to get this done before winter is over so I can use them. (Sucks not to have a garage.)

I ordered from courtesy nissan today. Since I am assuming you did the same, did it take them long to get the parts to you? There seemed to be a few weeks between the posts when you said you ordered them and received them. I will probably try to start as much wiring as I can before they come.

Thanks again!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Thanks for the leg work and the write up. I'll be taking on this mod when I change out my drivers side mirror. I am going to install new speakers at the same time too so I don't have to keep removing the door panels!

·
on line
257 Posts
I just recieved the parts from courtesy Nissan. LH was correct, RH was incorrect. Part numbers are correct on the box but not the right part in the box! They are overnighting the correct part to me after a quick phone call. I guess this is just a warning, check the boxes when they come!

·
on line
81 Posts
I just got mine today and they are correct. They were not even in official nissan boxes, just wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a shipping box. But they look good. I am going to try to install them this weekend.

·
on line
81 Posts
Just finished the install and it works great. It took a little bit longer than I wanted, but it was much easier than I thought it would be. I could not get my wire out of the IPDM along side the existing wiring bundle so I bored a hole through the side of the IPDM box with an xacto knife and put some RTV around it and the wire. Other than that, everything went smoothly, but it was just long install. I started at 10 am and finished at 5:30 very very cold.

I approve of this how-to. :)

Thanks Old Army!

·
on line
57 Posts
Thanks for the great how-to! I did this today after letting the mirrors sit in my house for two months. Took me five hours and most of the time is spent running wires. Easy and useful mod!

·
on line
57 Posts
If I could make one suggestion...be careful when taking off the plastic mirror cover on the inside of the doors. They're held on by plastic pins and a LOT of two sided tape. I managed to crack my passenger side cover. Then I took more time and care on the driver side, got it off, thought it looked a little bowed and in an effort to bend it straight, I snapped it right in half.

Turns out these things are $47 each. Cost of doing business I suppose.

·
on line
788 Posts
Excellent writeup!!!! I did this mod last night. It took me about 4 hours total and most of that was either trying to figure out how to get the wires through the holes or taking the door panels off without scratching them to hell.

I can see why they left this off of SOME of the xterras, but it should have been at lease an option for the northern states. Especially ALASKA!!!

Thanks again for the writeup. OldArmy saves the day again!

·
on line
352 Posts
Excellent writeup!!!! I did this mod last night. It took me about 4 hours total and most of that was either trying to figure out how to get the wires through the holes or taking the door panels off without scratching them to hell.

I can see why they left this off of SOME of the xterras, but it should have been at lease an option for the northern states. Especially ALASKA!!!

Thanks again for the writeup. OldArmy saves the day again!
I agree... Where ya from Anchorage I presume. Beautiful there, been there 3 times now. Drove allover. Wish I had my X when I was there. Went to Denali, Homer, Seward...

Anyhow..Where can I get the heated mirrors. I looked on Courtesy Nissan and was a little confused. Could someone link please? Thanks.

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reviving an old thread. Does anyone know if this will work on an 09 as described?
Take a look at the IPDM as described in the first post. Let us know if it looks the same (as in same wire missing and heated mirror relay installed). If so, it should work.

-Old Army

1 - 20 of 93 Posts