Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
YOU! Can do this install!

You need Left and right, and they go on that side only. (as you sit in the Vehicle)

Left link, takes you to right also. $60 set or so.

yournissanparts.com

First really clean the are that they will go, no wax, no dirt, we used Prep Sol, Then you do the measuring as described in the directions, but keep in mind the part towards the crack where the doors meet has a rounded type inset, if that lays even in the indent on the X there, you are right on, The measurements are kinda as a guide. Eyeball it! The front measurement is right on though, in our case the center had no mind.

Measured, taped for reference and ready to eyeball! MCampana is star of the show here.

Here he has "Eyeballed the dip I refer to and is setting the rear into place, kinda lightly in case we have to re position, But he gets it perfect 1st time.

Anyone who has worked with the 3M tape knows it sticks 1st time, so follow the directions and peal the tape as you go back, Don't take it all off and try to stick it on all at once, that may be a mistake.

We used a Level as a straight edge to help align the rear, Put the rear one on kinda and open the door. Make dag gone sure it will not hit the front one and allow a little extra room 1 mm or so. The directions include a measurement that these have to be from the edge of the doors, follow that closely and Test it too!

Here you see a proper gap and a nice install!

MCampana was going to paint these Black to match, but they looked so good as is, he decided against it. Kinda sets it off a bit and adds some neat lines to the vehicle and adds some protection against a door bang from any vehicle that gets by the Shrockworks sliders.

Pretty easy install, great price, highly suggested if you don't have.

Anyone that wants can post a picture of their X with Body Side Molding, It won't be a BS move, Maybe people can see how theirs will look with it and compare. If you did non Nissan BSM, post that too, Not a BS move, still we can compare and decide what to go with. Knowledge is power pictures are perfect!

Another Useless How-to by MC

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Looks good, moved it to how to's.

·
on line
259 Posts
nice write up!

I'll post before and after pics when I do this, I think the molding gives the truck a more rugged look.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, it does make it more rugged. And less denty. I had it where I had it so people who were thinking of buying the side moldings could see that it can be done pretty easy, Lots of people done it but we had no idea what was involved because no one did any pics. I thought leave it there and have Cornick link it up in How to's in Org fashion. Oh well. MC

·
on line
16 Posts
cool deal...good job...im glad you made this post because my side moldings just came in...i may be shooting you a couple pm's when i install them within the next week...its been raining on and off here so i want to make sure it will be dry for a few days after i install them

·
on line
641 Posts
Anyone else notice that there's "scary dark reverso man" that lives inside MCampana's truck? He seems to be either 'helping out' (making sure the back side of the 3M tape sticks?), or else maybe there is now a set of side mouldings installed inside the doors ;-)

·
on line
64 Posts
i found the measurements and instructions too redundant. a level saves alot of time and measureing.

the quick way.

1) clean the painted area. I clay-bared mine (since I had it laying around) and final wipe with a fine cotton t shirt (small $3 sacrafice).

2) I skipped most of the measuring. i made only 1 actually. I measured the 5mm indent on the rear peice. I didn't like the gap, so I made the executive decesion to move it to 3mm instead. no problems. i then held the level up to the groove on the doors to see if the groove is level. Thinking that if its not, I want to repeat this difference later. mine actually came out to be exactly level so i had no issues.

3) the mouldings have a rounded portion on the car-side that fits inside that groove on the doors. Line it up, its fairly obvious how it sits in there when you see it. Pull a little red tape off the flat end and stick in place.

4) now grab your level and pull the rest of the tape off. Place the level on top of the moulding; while observing the bubble on the level, carefully stick the moulding on. Press hard. use a roller if you have one. I used a peice of ABS plummbing as a substiture and used rolling-pin style.

·
on line
384 Posts
Why do I get the impression that if they sold the Xterra in a "Put it Together Yourself" kit, MC would be the first one in line to buy it?

·
on line
142 Posts
very easy mod

This is a very easy, super cheap mod. Now with the SE wheels and tires and the side moldings you can't tell my X from an SE! I just need to find an SE badge somewhere.

·
on line
59 Posts
I got my body side moldings in, haven't gotten to put them on yet. I am glad there was this write up. Have to make sure I take my time and prep the area good (have to clean the wax off). Wouldn't have thought about using a level to make sure both front and back are straight.

Thanks.

·
on line
255 Posts
BSMs not only make the sides look better they are functional. Wife parks in a multi-level garage and got a large gash in her driver's side molding. That would have been a nasty dent and cracked paint in her door otherwise. The BSM more than paid for itself.

·
on line
146 Posts
I want to do this mod but is there a danger of rain/snow/other debris building up between the BSM plastic and the door since it isn't factory? What can I do, if I do the install, to mitigate this?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts