Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I did most of this already and I didn't have a camera, so a few steps do not show progress, just show it finished.

Items needed to buy:

The 7 pin harness I bought from the Nissan dealer for about $55. The kit comes with directions and pictures, but they are kinda messy since B&W.
Also you will need these tools if you are planning on placing the receiver in the bumper itself
I bought these from Lowes for about $22.

First go to your passenger side kick panel and remove it. You start by removing the side strip first, careful pulling on it with even pressure, it is held in place by 2 white pop things.
***WARNING: air bag sensors are in this area on some models!!***

These are two white things you will keep

Those attach here on the 2 retainers (im just holding the panel up with my finger, not pointing)

Put those to the side and continue pulling it off. Then remove the kick panel, it is held on in 3 places. 1 is on the floor and 2 are on the side of the truck. Pop out the 2 on the side first then just pull and the one on the floor will pop off.
Side top

Side lower

Floor retainer

Once inside you will find 3 relays that need to have fuses added to them, depending on what way you're hooking up the harness. The directions tell you what setup you will use for your particular vehicle, you're either going to hook up only 2 of them or all three of them. Then wrap the foam tape that came in the kit around the relays and zip tie them to a place inside there.

Button that whole side back up. Place the white clips in their retainer.

Once you have put the bottom rail back on push down along the whole panel to ensure that it is clipped in the correct places.

Now go to the back and drop out the spare tire, it makes it much easier.
On the driver side to the rear of the truck, there is a grey plug and a black plug; they have their factory caps on them to prevent them from getting clogged when not in use. Before you remove the caps, separate the black plug from its mounting location and route it back near the grey plug. Now remove the caps and plug in the corresponding pieces from the wiring harness. You can zip tie everything in place and move on.

Run the cable along the route described and securing it with the supplied mounting brackets already on the harness to the corresponding locations on the frame. (picture taken from the rear of the truck on driver side)

Now to mount the receiver onto the bumper.

Use these now

I taped off the bumper in order to outline where I knew the receiver could fit.

Then I started the drill hole using the Bi-metal bit. The trick here is slow and steady. Don't run your drill to fast otherwise you'll burn up the bit, keep it at a medium fast pace (insert Adam Sandler medium pace joke here) with constant even pressure, every now and then stop and spray the bumper and the bit down with WD40 to keep it cool. You will see a little smoke while drilling, this is normal. When it seems like its smoking to much or looks dry, stop and spray some more; spraying also helps keep the bits of metal from flying so much.
WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!!After a bit you will get through. Just be patient.

I took a dremel and cleaned up the insides and front from any metal shards.

Then came some trimming, I trimmed a little on the right of the circle I just cut.

Then I un-clipped the receiver from the harness and trimmed the edges on the backside of the receiver where it was hitting.

Once I got that all done, I placed the receiver in the hole and marked the first drill point. Drill the first hole, and then mark your second hole, drill that one out and bolt the receiver to the bumper. Reconnect the harness to the receiver and you're done.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
"Once inside you will find 3 relays that need to have fuses added to them, depending on what way you’re hooking up the harness. The directions say what to do, your either going to hook up 1 blue and 1 brown, or 2 blue and 1 brown. Then wrap the foam tape that came in the kit around the relays and zip tie them to a place inside there. "
I dont get this can you clarify a bit...I need to do this mod...

·
on line
113 Posts
I added this same mod, except I didn't drill the rear bumper for the plug. I used an adel clamp and attached the 7 pin plug to the bottom lip of the bumper to the left of the hitch (I don't go off road much, so I wasn't worried about getting it torn off by rocks.

The following info only relates to 2005 and newer X.
I got my tow harness kit from Courtesy Nissan out of Texas for about 55 dollars less shipping. The part about the different relays that you need to plug into the kit's sub harness relates to what type of transmission you have. the kit comes with 3 color coded relays in it. If you have an automatic trans, you will only use 2 of the 3 relays included in the kit..manual trans will use all 3 plug in relays. Plug in the relays you need for your truck into the kit supplied sub harness, plug the sub harness into the existing plug/harness located behind the passenger side kick panel. Zip tie it in place (the kit sub harness gets secured to the existing wiring in the area)and re-install the plastic kick panel cover. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Move on to the rear plug portion of the install. That end is pretty straight forward. Remove a protective plug from an existing harness that is attached to the inner frame rail behind the drivers side rear tire. remove the 2 dummy plugs(2 different sizes, its Murphy proof), plug the kit supplied harness into the two plugs and route it where you want the trailer receptacle to end, mount the receptacle where you want. Hook up a trailer, and insure all your trailer lights in harmony with your X.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Mercha...n=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=999T8-N5005

click this link and scroll down to the the bottom of the page. They have the installation instructions with pictures. Hope this helps. As always when messing around with vehicle electrics, make sure your vehicle is off, key out of the ignition. and for extra safety, disconnect the battery,and wear eye protection.

It took me all of 40 minutes to add this kit to my 07 SE 4x2 (not factory tow package equipped at delivery)when I was adding a Draw Tite receiver hitch. Any other questions or problems, don't hesitate to ask. You can do it if you take your time, be patient, use the right tools and read the instructions thru once or twice before you start.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
miles said:
"Once inside you will find 3 relays that need to have fuses added to them, depending on what way you're hooking up the harness. The directions say what to do, your either going to hook up 1 blue and 1 brown, or 2 blue and 1 brown. Then wrap the foam tape that came in the kit around the relays and zip tie them to a place inside there. "
I dont get this can you clarify a bit...I need to do this mod...
yeah, the fuses are used for certain applications, one type of application uses all three fuses, the other uses only 2. I cant remember exactly what uses all three, (maybe if you will have added trailer braking system used) but the directions explain further on what you will do. the only part bad with the directions are the pics. I only used 2 of the relay fuses. hope this helps.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I bought this kit, but havent installed it yet....too cold outside...might wait for a warmer day...great write up...I am only a little confused as the the relay/fuse thing. Your write the dealer instructions suck...

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
miles said:
I bought this kit, but havent installed it yet....too cold outside...might wait for a warmer day...great write up...I am only a little confused as the the relay/fuse thing. Your write the dealer instructions suck...
I remember that i had to look at the picture and look at the harness really hard, I only had to use 1 blue and 1 brown. im in iraq right now so i cant go look at anything, but i want to say that the other blue would have been used if your going to use the factory placed brake booster. (the xterra is set up with brake assistance wireing for when you tow a trailer that has a braking system of its own) so when you hook up the trailer harness it will recieve information from the computer telling that your braking or not. ig you are using the brake asistance it tells you that you need to buy another harness part. it says it in the beginning of the instructions if i remember right. i didnt hook mine up that way, so i only used 2 relays, instead of all three. hope this clears it up for you some more. :)

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, pilgrims, there are two (3) easier ways--

--1) pay to have the dealer do it-

--2) run the trailer without lights or brakes

--3) order the X WITH TRAILER HITCH/WIRING

Jon the illest said:
theres got to be an easier way

--Sorry but thats it !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Jon the illest said:
theres got to be an easier way
There are easier ways, but honestly, this only took me about 4 hours tops! from start to finish. I placed the harness in the location i did because I go offroading ALOT! and the rear bumper drags, ALOT, if I dont put it in the bumper and had placed it under the bumper (like the factory does) it will get torn right off. I have looked all over, and you're only going to find a few variations of where people are placing them because if you go offroad, you're seriously limited to where it can go safely. sorry, but seriously, this is not hard, and it took me time, because i had to decipher the words versus the bad pictures in the instructions and figure out just where i wanted it while drinking my beers and working in a cramped 1 car apartment garage.

·
on line
1,231 Posts
LOL...the same day of this last post, I actually tore the harness off it's mount on the hitch (I have the factory installed tow hitch. The plastic pulled right out of the metal. Is the receiver available seperately or would I have to buy the whole rear section of the harness?

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont think you can buy it separately, I bought it and it came as a kit for 55$

·
on line
1,561 Posts
Nice mod and how-to.
I was thinking of doing this on my truck and what do you know, its already written up.
hah, thanks, now its a no-brainer.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem yall. Glad that I was able to help make things better for you.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts