Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I do not own the rights to this how to as Im just using the hyper tech instructions but I recently did this mod and it is relatively easy and I have some input that will help anyone doing this when it comes to calibrating it exactly. I didn't take any pictures and the instructions are only available with the cd which sucks. But ill be glad to answer all question through Private messaging.

First we start with the Cd software they provide. I had to use a PC as my mac wouldn't open any of the files.

Then open up they program using the AutoRun and down load the usb drivers.

Then go to the software and open it, it should look like something like this

Okay here it is and all you have to do is is enter the stock tire information and then go out to your truck and figure out exactly what your rolling on.

Here's a quick way to check your actual tire size:

1] Place a chalk mark on your tire where it touches the pavement and also mark the pavement. (center of tire footprint pointing straight down)

2] Roll your truck in a straight line until the chalk mark makes one revolution and is pointing STRAIGHT DOWN again. Mark the pavement there at this new spot

3] Measure in inches the distance between the two chalk marks. Divide that number by 3.1416. The result is your actual tire diameter in inches. Use that number when you enter the new tire size in your Hypertech. Mine works perfect.

You might have to adjust the stock tire ratio but do not touch the gear ratio information it will negatively effect your program. The difference mine was about 1.10999345 in the top right box but yours will vary.

Hypertech In-line Speedometer Calibrator Module Installation instructions 2005-2008 Nissan Frontier

Tools Needed: Phillips Screwdriver Be advised: These instructions may not include specifics for all vehicle configurations.

1. Set Parking brake

2. On the Driver’s side, the floor and kick panel is a unified unit. There is no need to remove
completely; simply pull the one end away far enough to make room to get to the other necessary components.

3. Gently pull the rubber door trim out and away from its track; there is no need to pull away more than is shown below.

4. With the rubber trim pulled away, use a trim tool to help get behind the side trim piece, shown in the photo, then remove the piece by evenly exerting outward pressure. Only remove the lower piece.

5. Using your fingers, carefully separate the lower Instrument Panel trim bezel. There are electrical cables connected on the left hand side, when removed, lower it to the floorboard. (To lower the right hand side, it helps to tilt the steering wheel up and separate the panel from below the steering wheel.)

6. With the Phillips screwdriver, remove the retaining screw on the left-hand side of Instrument panel upper bezel

7. Remove the Ignition switch bezel.

8. Remove the upper steering column cover. There are 2 Phillips head screws; remove them and use a tool like the one below to separate the column covers. To keep from scratching the finish, you can wrap the end of the tool with painter’s tape.

9. Remove the upper Instrument Panel bezel by performing the following: (You can raise and lower the steering column to assist with the following procedure)
a. Start on the right-hand side of the upper instrument panel bezel and separate the panel from the dash. While doing so, work your way across to the left using the back side of the panel to continue separating.
b. Gently twist the upper portion of the side trim to expose the outer tabs of the upper instrument panel bezel. This will assist you in removing the bezel.

10. Using a Phillips screwdriver, take out the 4 retaining screws to remove the Instrument Panel. After the screws are removed, press the release tab on the electrical connector and gently pull it from the instrument panel.

11. Using the supplied cable, connect the small black connector to the VSS inline module.

12. Connect either end of the supplied cable, which has two white connectors, to P1 of the green interface circuit board.

13. Connect the vehicle’s Instrument Panel connector to P2 of the green interface circuit board.

14. Carefully stow away the inline module and the green interface board.

15. Both pieces can be tied to a brace, cable or support, using tie wraps.

16. Connect the other end of the supplied cable to the IPC.

17. Okay instead of reinstalling all the dash pieces just screw in the ipc and go test the program, this will be hard to get exact without a gps to figure out how much your off but if you calculated the tire size correctly and didn't enter anything into the gear ratio box you should be fine.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
This may be a cool thing to do at one point. Right now I know I'm about 3% off - I use the GPS on long trips and set the cruise based on that and not the speedo. I think I'd be around 76mph when my speedo has me at 70.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19893&highlight=hypertech

... I've had mine installed for about four years. It adjusts the speed reading as well as the odometer & trip meters. It works by intercepting the signal going to the instrument cluster and putting a multiplier on it ... you set the multiplier value, as Truffle's pointed out.

I never went through and put the details of the install up here or made how-to, because at the time I made the thread and installed mine it seemed as if folks were turning up their noses at the idea ... and frankly as you can see from the instructions it's pretty straight forwards.

Glad to see Treff take the time to put together this thread for everyone, hopefully some find it useful ... I've fielded the odd question or two via PM, since I got mine installed, and it's still going strong. At some point I need to rip the dash apart and re-secure the box, as it's come loose sometime in the last couple years and rattles occasionally, but it's not been enough of an annoyance to make me take care of it yet.

The note about using the chalk marks to figure out rolling diameter is a good one; another method would be to take a GPS reading over some set distance, compare it to the odometer output with stock tires. Then do it again with the new tires, and the difference (by ratio) would be the multiplier you need from the program. Or, finally, you could do what I did and get the rolling diameter off of the published tire specs for the stock tires for your model (mine were BFG Rugged Trails) and whatever you're upgrading to (Toyo MTs for me) ... most manufacturers include a revs/mile spec in the published details for their tires, that you can use to get the rolling diameter.

I recall there was a spot in the program to enter the multiplier ratio directly, if you want to ... but it's been long enough since I messed with it, that I don't remember exactly. Treff do you know? Or are you limited to making adjustments to tire size and gear ratio?

As an aside - I suppose you could connect the box to a panel mounted USB plug, and be able to make adjustments without tearing the dash apart; but that'd only be if you plan on making changes often. Further, since the vehicle gets it's speed information by polling the ABS sensors at each wheel and combining those signals in the CanBus system (ECU for processing, maybe?) then sending the info to the instrument cluster for display, I'm not sure that changing gear ratios will actually effect speed/distance display; so you really only have to worry about tire size, if that concerns you ... someone who's installed gears can confirm that for me though (Treff?) ...

ETA: When I got mine, it was through Summit, I'd imagine they still carry them ... and I know it lists for up to 2008 only, but I can't imagine there'd be any reason to believe it wouldn't work with newer models unless there's been a change in how the instrument cluster interfaces to the rest of the vehicle ... but it's Nissan and they've done goofier things. Probably best to confirm with Hypertech, if you're newer than '08 and you want to look into this.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19893&highlight=hypertech

... I've had mine installed for about four years. It adjusts the speed reading as well as the odometer & trip meters. It works by intercepting the signal going to the instrument cluster and putting a multiplier on it ... you set the multiplier value, as Truffle's pointed out.

I never went through and put the details of the install up here or made how-to, because at the time I made the thread and installed mine it seemed as if folks were turning up their noses at the idea ... and frankly as you can see from the instructions it's pretty straight forwards.

Glad to see Treff take the time to put together this thread for everyone, hopefully some find it useful ... I've fielded the odd question or two via PM, since I got mine installed, and it's still going strong. At some point I need to rip the dash apart and re-secure the box, as it's come loose sometime in the last couple years and rattles occasionally, but it's not been enough of an annoyance to make me take care of it yet.

The note about using the chalk marks to figure out rolling diameter is a good one; another method would be to take a GPS reading over some set distance, compare it to the odometer output with stock tires. Then do it again with the new tires, and the difference (by ratio) would be the multiplier you need from the program. Or, finally, you could do what I did and get the rolling diameter off of the published tire specs for the stock tires for your model (mine were BFG Rugged Trails) and whatever you're upgrading to (Toyo MTs for me) ... most manufacturers include a revs/mile spec in the published details for their tires, that you can use to get the rolling diameter.

I recall there was a spot in the program to enter the multiplier ratio directly, if you want to ... but it's been long enough since I messed with it, that I don't remember exactly. Treff do you know? Or are you limited to making adjustments to tire size and gear ratio?

As an aside - I suppose you could connect the box to a panel mounted USB plug, and be able to make adjustments without tearing the dash apart; but that'd only be if you plan on making changes often. Further, since the vehicle gets it's speed information by polling the ABS sensors at each wheel and combining those signals in the CanBus system (ECU for processing, maybe?) then sending the info to the instrument cluster for display, I'm not sure that changing gear ratios will actually effect speed/distance display; so you really only have to worry about tire size, if that concerns you ... someone who's installed gears can confirm that for me though (Treff?) ..
Messing around with the gear ratio area in the prgram just messes with the out put ratio the control sends to the icu

With the entered gear ratio I was at around .878890

When it was correct and matched the difference the final ratio was 1.123350009

So it just messes with the program and I recommend just messing with the tire section

Also to answer your first question, yes you can mess with the multiplier just by clicking it and entering whatever you want

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone actually tried this unit on an 09+ that can confirm whether or not it works? Hypertech does say only good up to 08, and doesn't offer a unit for the newer models. Just don't know if Nissan really made changes between those years.
Update: I put one in my 09 about a month ago and it works fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thread revival. This thing is dirt cheap on amazon now. Anyone try it on a Gen 2.5?

Edit: Looks like the guy above me has done it successfully. Just ordered one on Amazon for $45. Will update after install on a 2011.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Update: installed successfully on a 2011 Xterra S. Dash disassembly is similar to earlier models, but I did have to remove a-pillar trim to get upper dash trim section off. Tested with Torque app with GPS speed, and new obd speed is dead on.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
You must have struck perfectly because I can't seem to find it for anything other than $229.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts