Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
:withstupid: The whole panel that holds the cup holders pulls right out. All ya do is kinda grab it by the pass side and pull, that side snaps out, then pull right up and out, (this is the plastic part we are talking about), it makes a great place to hide stuff. Checkbook, wallet, keys, spare key. List goes on. The Park Brake Lever is under there and the Air bag Module. So don't store your Ice in there.

It's of such quality it can be removed endlessly without damage to the retainers.

As far as keys go, Have dealer make you a key with no Transponder, Just to get into the door. Hide that key where you can get at it on the outside, (Be creative), hide the key that will start the car IN the car such as where I mention. I use Velcro on key and holding spot.

This way, IF someone ever does find your key, they can't take the car, UNLESS they find the second key. But at least you are covered should you loose one.

This saved me a few times at work, someone called and said I left my lights on, I tell them how to get in and to leave the spare key in the truck. I re hide it when I get back.

Another time the parking lot Flooded, I mean to the doors! Same thing, I told them where the key was, and the Hidden, inside key and they moved my car from certain big time water damage.

Mike C

·
on line
3,217 Posts
You know that your X is smart right? The headlights go out by themselves after something like 10 minutes and the same is true for your interior lights. I turned my interior light on last night and thought that I had turned it off before getting out of the truck. I got in it this afternoon and started the truck. The light stayed on. I thought I didn't have my door closed but it was. Turned out that the light was still on. That's twice that I did that. Thank God for the truck being smart enough to turn them off. :D

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't know, I did leave the light on and wondered why it started right up.

My Light incident was with my dodge, I still use the hide a key trick though because of our flooding parking lot. We had to watch a car sink, we called the driver and no key available. Plus we swap things at work too.

I also notice something fishy with the doors locking by themselves. If I have my key mod in. They don't lock, but if I take it out and shut the door, next Am doors are locked.
We should list this Ghostly info somewhere.
MC

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Hmmm I wonder if the X is picking up the transponder signal from the Key, The auto anti lockout might be engaging and that might be why it won't lock, try taking that non transponder key, and start the truck, you just might be getting that signal sent out..

·
on line
160 Posts
I good way to hide a key on your vehicle is to get one of these key holders and mount it to your frame somewhere. Don't know how it'd hold up off road though.

·
on line
134 Posts
Yup, I have that exact key holder. Been on there since Dec and I just checked it the other day. I think some of the potholes here around DC hit harder than most of the roads/trails I've been on over in GW. Seems to hold up well. I'm a little nervous about the fact that the metal holding the magnets has rusted really bad. Gotta love all the salt around here. Otherwise, works well to this point. Had it on my Taco for over 2 yrs and my Tundra for a year as well with no issues.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
You can ziptie a small lockbox with a key in it under the X. This way you have to open the lockbox to get your key out. It works well on my Jetta, because the wife likes locking her keys in the car.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Hell,

Just zip tie a key to your frame...or your wife :tongue1:

G

·
BioMan said:
I think some of the potholes here around DC hit harder than most of the roads/trails I've been on over in GW.
...you haven't been to Shoe Creek yet then.... it's plenty bumpy. had to take down the laptop mount before it got shook loose last weekend.

·
on line
134 Posts
I was about 12 trucks behind you at Shoe Creek and I do remember dragging things pretty good a few times. Even have a scuff on the rear to prove it. Thats why I checked to make sure the key box was still there after that trip. Still doesnt make the holes in the pavement around here any softer. Plus I didnt have the balls to do SC at 60+ mph which makes any little bump feel that much bigger. :blob5:

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Used th elittle secret hiding space today while hiking Mt Sanitas in Boulder. Thanks for the idea!

·
on line
204 Posts
When pulling the plastic cup holder, do you have to pull from the base, down by the carpet on the passenger side or do you pull from the top corner on the passenger side? I havn't tried it yet, but wanted to get clarity before breaking some plastic. Do you have to pull very hard? Thanks MC for another insightful post...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just look at it from the seat, grab it at the two thin parts and pull one side up, pretty good pull, then jerk the other up. I've had mine off a hundred times, I think it's bullet proof as far as breaking it goes, it's very nicely done plastic clips. To replace just set it in all squared up and bang it down with one push. It snaps back in. By the way, the wire that goes to the cig lighter runs through there and is power on with ignition on. So that is where you can hit that type power. The part in front of that comes off same way (Around shifter) The back part has screws pretty hidden located in rear floor area. But you won't have to go that deep. MC

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Re: HitchSafe

buxwheat said:
Has anybody tried one of these gadgets: http://www.hitchsafe.com/
Seen them advertised in Herrington's, Sporty's, etc. Looks pretty tough and certainly well concealed.
That looks pretty cool.

My only problem with that is, usually the time I want to hide my keys and not carry them on me I have my bike rack in mounted there.

How much is it?

·
on line
61 Posts
Dude...thanks a million for the hiding spot in the console. Went to Mexico yesterday and bout a few Xmas presents that...well, really needed to be hidden from customs. In the event of a thourough search, that area would have never been touched.

And no it wasn't drugs...i'm not -that- bad.

·
on line
132 Posts
McTullis said:
Dude...thanks a million for the hiding spot in the console. Went to Mexico yesterday and bout a few Xmas presents that...well, really needed to be hidden from customs. In the event of a thourough search, that area would have never been touched.

And no it wasn't drugs...i'm not -that- bad.
Lol, suuuurrrreeee it wasn't. Your X is also smart too, if you stop the engine, get out and close the doors it will auto lock in a minute.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts