Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
874 Posts
How to: HID Retro Kit;

****Update***
I did upload movies to youtube, pictures just dont do this any justice.
scroll to bottom for movie
*End of Update*

I came across a deal I could not pass up at all. A lot of you have been talking about HID kits and the positives and negative of them; use the stock housing with a bulb kit, or buy a retro kit. Is it legal is it illegal. Properly aiming the lights, ect. This topic seems to go on forever. After all I have read and researched here is what I came up with. Credit does go to Max6 for the original idea, and if it were not for him selling his retro fitted lights this post would be about 3-6 months away from being complete.

I started researching HID kits when I bought my new x back in July; I originally wanted the cheapest thing possible as we all do. I looked at those kits on eBay for $250-$350, I wanted Bi-Xenon because I wanted both my high beam and my low beam to be HID. New Hampshire law states you must have both high and low beams to pass inspection, they must also be properly aligned using a beam setter.

As I read on I found out a lot of important information. Most of it coming from www.hidplanet.com and the forum section there. Most of the kits you can find for cheap, simply replace the stock halogen bulb with a HID bulb and ad a ballast to ignite the gas. The difference is in the housing, on the stock xterra we have halogen style housings, these are not intended to be used with a Xenon HID bulb due to the refraction and scatter patterns that you get. With this in mind, no matter how low you aim the light the scatter pattern will not pass state inspection if they are using a beam setter. However it can and might pass just a visual inspection if no beam setter is used. Most places up here have a beam setter, and the local and state governments are cracking down even more because of the newer emission testing that must be passed in conjunction with a safety inspection yearly.

All that being said, some of you live in places where inspections don't take place, I am from Florida(now living in NH) and they don't have them there, I wanted my X to be totally legal and not have to swap parts once a year so I can get it inspected. I am one of those set it and forget it guys.

Now to the good stuff, again credit goes to max6 for all the leg work.
Once you decide on single or bi-xenon you then have a few choices to make in terms of brands and sizes. For this install the choice was the Bi-Xenon HID RS6 retro kit from www.hidplanet.com.

Complete RS6/A6 HID System comes with projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and ballast housings.

This Complete System comes with the parts needed for a full retrofit or replacement. The system comes with the following:
  • RS6/A6 Bi-Xenon Projectors
  • Hella Generation-3 12V Ballasts (pair)
  • Philips D2S 4100K Bulbs (pair)
  • Ballast Housings (pair)
  • Ballast Power Leads/Pigtails
Now here is where planning comes into play, you have a choice of doing this yourself or sending it out hand having an experienced person do it. If it were my decision I too would have sent it out, this dose add to the overall price of this mod, but its well worth it. Because the lights were sent out to be retrofitted that caused the purchase of another stock set of headlights. Keep in mind if you choose to do this yourself it will take the better part of the day and if it takes longer, and you don't have a spare set of lights you'll be driving in the dark.

The lights were sent to JWhite for the retro www.jwhiteslights.com , from his site you can do it all and there is even an estimator so you can see what it will run you. This will also take some time due to scheduling Jwhite is a one man show, so it's one set at a time. Check out the pics of his work its really good. What wound up going in the housing was the RS6 kit, with Landover LR3 bezels, all custom work.

Now for the harness, again some of you may choose to make your own, I have no experience in anything electrical so I sent out to find a guy to make a harness. I came across Josh on the HID planet forum site, www.izntrbl.com he does custom wire harnesses for HID retro kits, and is very knowledgeable. He informed me that the Nissan uses a reverse ground so my kit had to be wired slightly different than others. His kit claims to be truly plug and play, from the looks of it I would agree.

We have now reached a point of the install so I am going to stop for now, parts are in the mail and are expected to be here on Friday. I admit I lucked out on this, if it were not for max6 selling his unused kit I would be out twice as much money and 3-6 months behind where I am now. This can get very expensive very quickly. My advice is to plan out the time and budget. keep checking back to see install pics and more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8LP81RhX5M

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont say much 90% of the time, but when i do have somthing to say I tend to ramble on a bit...
here are some pics of the headlight housings under construction... care of Jwhite

finished but not installed, again care of jwhite

details of harness

and in case you wanted to know pricing...
Nissan OEM headlight housings-$300(max6 confirm)
RS6 hid kit------------------------$550
Wire harness---------------------$55
Labor-----------------------------$200?(max6 confirm)

I anticipate the parts being deliverd by this friday, which should give me an Insall date of Monday the 17th. sorry I can only work on the X on mondays....and this monday is teh GF b-day so its a no go....

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Yeah, i remember a member on this site selling those way back when. I guess since you keep refering to max6, it was him.

Now that I have a little extra coin in my pocket I might go this route. who is doing the work for you? and how do I get in touch with them?

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lights were sent to JWhite for the retro www.jwhiteslights.com
but there are many others to choose from, my advice is join the forum at www.hidplanet.com and ask around. Pletny of people are doing retros on that site, more than 5 that have a legit business doing it with a warranty and all. if your interested you have to have a set of lights to send him or any other retrofitter, I know you can be out of the county for a month at a time but ill help you out if ya need it with my stockers to send in for the retro...that is once i get my HID's installed.

and by the way http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5664 I did get them from max6 and he put them up for sale last month...

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
project starts monday morning at 10 am EST, pics will be posed in a live session as i break the front end down and intsll the lights to build it back up...I figure I got the day off so I ll keep ya'll entertained at work on monday....

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All in all it was an easy install. I followed the direction from remove your grile and remove fron bumper on this site and then went from there. one ballast is under the pass headlight the one on the dirver side is attached to the air box. used the wire harness that i had built and ran one line to the battery and then connected 2 grounds. the longest part was working on the pin config for the high beams to work, our trucks are reverse ground and that means things tend to work backwards on aftermarket additions such as this. after about 10 min of playin with pin configs i realized I has to swap the wires on one hi-lo servo to get it to activate. now all that is left to do is aim it. gotta wait till its a little darker to do that.

now for the pics.....

[/list]

·
on line
631 Posts
wow! saw the vids... very impressed at the amount of light output!

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they have an ton of light...I just need to aim them, they are both down too far. If i read how lights were supposed to be aimed, the center of the beam should sit 2 inches below headlight height at 20 feet.
so thats what I am doing tonight

1 - 13 of 13 Posts