Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Hi-lift Mount to Stock Roof Rack

14K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  hazard22083 
#1 ·
I have been trying different ideas to mount my Hi-Lift. Well, I finally got my custom hi-lift mount done on the Xterra. This isn't for everyone as I had to drill 2 small holes into the crossbar, but I didn't see this as too big of a deal considering what we all do to these things. All parts were bought at my local ACE Hardware.

Anyway, here it goes:

The parts needed:

(2) 3/8" x 2.5" Bolts
(2) 3/8" Small Washers
(2) 3/8" Large Washers
(2) 3/8" Wingnuts
(2) 1" Tall x 1" wide angled rubber stopper.

Optional: Cable Bike Lock
Not required, but I highly recommend a handle keeper. Mine is from Daystar, conly cost 9 bucks from my local 4x4 shop. Otherwise, you will probably get handle rattling.

Tools Required:

Drill
3/8" Drill Bit
1/2" Drill Bit
#30 Torx Driver/Bit
1/2" Socket w/ratchet

Here is a pic of the parts:

An of course your Hi-Lift:

1) Drill a 1/2" hole into the middle of both stoppers. Here is the rubber piece with the hole drilled into it:

2) Next up, place your hi-lift on top of your rack, and line it up where you want to mount it. Mark on the crossbar through the lifting holes on the jack. This will make sure that your holes will be spaced properly.

3) Drill a 3/8" Hole where you marked:

One problem I ran into was that my bolt wouldn't fit in from the bottom due to its length. To fix this, the cross bar must be temporarily lifted Up on the side of your mount.

4) Using the #30 torx bit, loosen the crossbar mount:

When the screw is loosened, a bracket will drop down from below. When it is loose enough, rotate the bracket towards the middle. This will free the mount on 1 side.

5) Place the small washer on the one of the bolts, and while holding up the crossbar, place the bolt through the drilled hole:

6) Re-attach the crossbar, and tighten the torx screw and bracket back into place.

7) Take one of the rubber stoppers and screw/slide onto the bolt. In order to really get it tight on there, I used a 1/2" socket to tighten the bolt, while holding the stopper:

8) Continue tightening, until it is nice and snug, holding the bolt into place. You should now have something like the following:

9) Repeat steps for the other crossbar.

10) Place the hi-lift into place over your bolts:

11) Take the large washers, and place one over the each of the bolts.

12) Tighten the jack with the wingnuts. I used the socket to get it nice and snug to make sure it wont rattle.

13) I used the bike cable lock to wrap through/around the Hi-Lift and crossbar to make sure it stays put.

Here is the final product:

I just got done doing a moderately rated trail, and this thing didn't budge, make a peep, rattle, or anything. I am def. happy about this one, hopefully you guys will find it useful. For the most part, the jack is way out of the way, yet is easy to get to by standing on sliders, or in my case the rear driver door sill.

AZTERRA

See less See more
#4 ·
i was thinking of doing this but to the side rails not the crossbars. is there any issue with the metal not being strong enough? oh and by the way under the rear seat where the jack is mounted there is a t30 screw driver designed for the roof rack as part of the jack so if you ever want to move them.

#5 ·
I was actually amazed at how the rubber stoppers kill any and all vibration/rattling. It is like it isn't even there. My only problem might be the added clearance. The base of the jack adds about 2-3" to the height of the vehicle, and I am getting my lift stuff from PRG tomorrow. Depending on how high the Xterra ends up, I might have to remove the base when it is mounted due to my garage door. I think it will make it by an inch or so though..better wait on larger tires!

#6 ·
irp88: haha, I didn't realize that there is a t30 driver in there. Guess I should have looked. I don't think there should be a problem with strength, the side look stronger than the crossbars, and those are plenty strong. The only thing about the side rails, is that it doesn't have a nice flat mounting surface, so stability might be an issue.

#12 ·
I might suggest wrapping the mechanism up in a plastic bag of some type since it is going to live in the elements. The pins have to stay clean to work right or you might drop the truck if the lock in pin doesn't engage when it is 'walking'. If you have ever seen an older hi-lift, you'll notice that the new ones have gold anodized pins now, which helps, but a clean jack is a happy jack.

#14 ·
As far as exposing the lift. Since it is so easy to take on and off, I might only put it on for road trips/camping, etc... Don't a bunch of people with the shrockworks rear bumper have them permanently mounted? Also, don't a ton of jeepers keep them mounted all the time? Maybe they keep them super lubed or something?

#15 ·
The crossbars are aluminum.

I sort of did the same thing but with my own cross braces and wing nuts up top.

#20 ·
i have just succesfully mounted to my side bar so its on the side like a gobi rack. the setup is pretty much the same. if anyone is interested i can post pics and do a write up. its a great place. thanks for the idea cause i wanted to see someone do it first.

#25 ·
*brings thread back to life!*

i just recently did this mod after seeing a member's picture on the forum(Drink). i had to get longer bolts(4") because i drilled the holes in the "middle" of the cross-bar instead of towards the edge. i also got smaller washers to fit "inside" the channel of the hi-lift and then a large washer for on top of the rubber thingy. i just by chance had the bars in a place where i had JUST enough room to open the box but you can always loosen the things and move then forward/back. GO ACE Hardware btw! they were very helpful

side note: i dont think i can fit in the garage any longer. so as someone in this thread said, i might only have it up there for actual trips... not that there is space for the Xterra in our garage... but the idea is nice. Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.