Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
971 Posts
HEATED MIRRORS ARE POSSIBLE :cheers:...AT LEAST ON THE FRONTIER.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24476

This write up is for the 05-08 CC Frontier with rear defroster option. I don’t know if those without the rear defroster will have the wires for the defrost button. If someone wants to check and take some pics I will gladly add that to this write up.

I found that Nissan has 2 different sets of heated mirrors you can use. I am using one of each in mine and both are working fine. RH: 96365-EA16A LH: 96366-EA00A.

These mirrors are less expensive but you’ll have to cut away the paper to get to the Terminals.
LH: 96366-EA00A $17.65 from www.CourtesyNissan.com
RH: 96365-EA00A RH Comes in as a NON-Heated Mirror. Do Not Order

Report this image

If you don’t feel comfortable with the mirrors above then you can order these for twice as much.
LH 96366-EA16A $35.02 from www.CourtesyNissan.com
RH: 96365-EA16A $32.70 from www.CourtesyNissan.com

Report this image

I am using 18 AWG with 1/64” insulation. You don’t want to go much thicker than that or you may find it difficult to pull the wire through the mirror assembly.

I started with about 6 ft (per side) of red and black wire and used electrical tape to add some extra protection to the wires. You may or may not want to do this. Up to you. It also makes it a little easier to feed the wires through in some places.

Report this image

***I highly recommend verifying the wires are correct before cutting them. My wire colors may be different than the colors in your wiring harness***

The first thing you should do is check to see if you have the relay and fuse installed for the heated mirrors.

Report this image

If you have the relay and the fuse you’re ready to check your wiring harness for 12VDC.

Remove the panels so you can get to wire harness.

Report this image

Remove the connector and check for battery voltage from the blue (power) to ground. Diver side is a light blue and passenger side is a dark blue.

Report this image

Report this image

Turn the key to the on position and press the window defrost button.

With a multi-meter or voltage checker put one lead to the power wire and the other to ground.

You should have close to 12VDC here.

If battery voltage is present, you are ready for the rest of the install.

Turn key to the off position.
Consider The 2018 XC60 - Explore In The XC60 Today
Experience the Advanced New Features of the Redesigned 2018 Volvo XC60 SUV.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Pretty cool and pretty cheap. I am going to have to give this a serious look soon. I hate not having heated mirrors.

·
on line
443 Posts
thats great news, keep us posted if we can do it. Being in the salt/rust belt it gets icy and snowy here so that really would help.

·
on line
616 Posts
Its not so easy in an X

Well,

I have investigated the possibility of the Frontier type heated mirror modification.

I discovered that there is not power present on the door harness connectors. For some reason the Frontier and the US spec Xterra differ here.

After a bit of investigation, I found the issue:

The "engine room harness" in Nissan speak, differs between the two vehicles. For some reason, Nissan decided to save a few cents by not including the wire for the heated mirrors in the Xterra engine room harness. This wire runs from the IPDM (where the heated mirror relay and fuse are located) to the "super multiple junction (SMJ)," located on the passenger side kick panel. If you have the service manual, this wire runs from connector E120, pin 23 to connector E152 pin 74G at the SMJ. Other than that, the wiring as described on the ClubFrontier site is the same.

So what does this mean for us?

Heated mirrors are possible, but we have to run one more wire than the Frontier guys. The bummer is that we have to run it through the firewall.

Nissan was kind enough to include the following on the Xterra:

1. The fuse for the heated mirrors
2. The relay for the heated mirrors
3. The circuitry allowing the heated mirror relay to activate when the rear defroster activates (I have tested and confirmed this).
4. Some of the necessary wiring to complete the job

What we have to do to finish the job:

1. Run a wire from the IPDM to the SMJ (engine compartment to passenger foot well)
2. Connect the wire to the appropriate terminal on the IPDM (easy to do with a standard female spade connector)
3. Connect the other end of this wire to pin 74G of connector M31 at the SMJ (splice connection)
4. Install the heated mirror glass (identical to ClubFrontier write-up)
5. Run wires from the door harness connectors (right and left sides) to the respective mirror heating elements.

I have the mirrors on order and will post a write-up when complete.

-Old Army

·
on line
443 Posts
Nissan is just strange like that. I have a Maxima too but it has the same strange things like this. I have an SE and it is missing certain wires that the base and high end one have. Just wacky like that.

·
on line
551 Posts
I put the heated mirrors on last spring. It was a very simple thing: order the Frontier heated mirrors and door harnesses, exchange said items for the stock and run power using an external switch(I had mine placed on the left side next to the mirror controls.)
More expensive, yes, but at the time, that was the only way. The mirror glass was not available, and I was lead to believe that the BCM controls the defrost cycle switch and short of replacing it with one that had heated mirrors programed in, the way I did it was the only way.
If you can get it to work with the defrost cycle I'll take my switch and chuck it.
Keep us informed on progress

·
on line
616 Posts
Magic Rat said:
...I was lead to believe that the BCM controls the defrost cycle switch and short of replacing it with one that had heated mirrors programed in, the way I did it was the only way...
That is not correct. It works this way:

1. The Rear Window Defrost button sends a signal to the BCM when it is pressed. The BCM decides if everything is good to go for the defrost cycle (key in the acc position etc).

2. The BCM then sends a command across the CAN buss to the IPDM commanding it to close the Rear Window Defrost relay. The heated mirror relay is tied into the signal line between the IPDM's CPU and the rear defroster relay. So, the Heated Mirror relay activates and deactivates at the same instant as the defroster relay. They are physically wired together.

3. The IPDM confirms the defrost relay has been closed with a CAN message to the BCM. The BCM illuminates the defrost light on the defrost switch.

4. After the 10 minute operating cycle, or when the defrost button is pressed again, the BCM sends the command to open the defrost relay (turn off the circuit) to the IPDM. The IPDM opens the relay and sends an acknowledgment back to the BCM through the CAN network. The BCM then extinguishes the defrost light on the switch and resets the cycle timer.

The BCM doesn't know if you have heated mirrors or not, it just knows the command to send to the IPDM. Nissan simply added the heated Mirror Relay into the rear window defrost circuit at the IPDM an included the relays and fuses in all of the Frontiers, Pathfinders and Xterras.

As you can guess, the heated mirrors operate at the same time as the rear window defrost and are limited to the same 10 minute duty cycle.

I have confirmed this with the Factory Service Manual (see page PG-24 and Pages GW-65 through GW-67 if you wish to play along at home).

I tested the heated mirror terminal on the IPDM for voltage during the defrosted cycle and it works. They simply omitted critical parts of the heated mirror wiring. You found the door harness differences, I found the engine harness differences.

-Old Army

28 Posts
Found out the hard way that power is not present in the same place as the frontiers. I did find the main rear defrost wire on the driver side and was going to use it but I decided to go another route. I installed a switch in the dash and ran 12v ignition switched power to the mirrors. This way I can control if I want the rear defrost or heated mirrors or both on. You just have to remember to turn them off. The switch I used is illuminated so its easy to remember.

Here is the switch I used, it fits perfectly in the blank switch places.

It works, I used them this afternoon. :cheers:

·
on line
616 Posts
The mirrors are now installed and function perfectly.

I connected mine through the OEM circuitry and they operate when the rear window defroster does. There are no additional switches or fuses.

Expect a write-up soon.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Get that write-up here quick. I need to replace my drivers side mirror, I might as well wait and run the wires I need! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old Army -

Great information on the heated mirror installation for my 2013 Xterra X...I spoke with my local electontronics shop rep this afternoon and they need a bit more information so they can cut down on some of the labor investigation costs as follows...

- This wire runs from the IPDM (where the heated mirror and fuse are located) : where is the IPDM located?
- E120, E152, 74G, M31 - Where are these items located?

Are these the correct Frontier mirrors that I need to order?

Mirrors:
LH 96366-EA16A $35.02
RH: 96365-EA16A $32.70

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think you'll get a response from Old Army, this thread is 8 years old. I would highly recommend reading through the link posted in the original OP, it will answer all of your questions or at least print it out and bring it to the shop that's doing the work they should be able to figure it out pretty easily. The IPDM is in the engine bay (so yes you'll need to penetrate the firewall). Everything should be labeled on the inside cover of the fuse box. I think those are the part number I used, your local Nissan dealer should be able to confirm. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts