Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Grille Removal

53K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  11ORX 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How to remove the grille.
(It's that thing in front of the radiator, not what you cook steaks on!)

1)
Open the hood.

2)
Remove the six plastic pins that hold the top edge of the grille.
They look like this:

You can pop up the center part using a flat blade screwdriver, then you should be able to remove the whole pin by hand. The center part stays with the base part.

3)
Pull the top part of the grille forward, near each end. It may take some pressure, and may be easier to do one end at a time. There is one clip on each side of the grille, next to the headlight. These clips will come out when pulled - no need to reach in and do anything to them. Here's a photo of the grille, looking up from below:

The photo shows (black arrows) the six holes for the six pins removed in the prior step. The two clips on the sides are shown by green arrows.

4)
All that is left holding the grille are four flat plastic clips along the lower edge of the grille. These are shown in the above photo with blue arrows. It's easiest to start at one end, tilt the top edge of the grille away from the radiator if needed to create a bit of room, and reach down and find each clip, then while pulling forward on the grille, press up from below on the middle part of the clip. These photos show what the clip looks like (from underneath), the slot it fits into, and where these slots are located:

5)
When replacing the grille, make sure that the four flat clips engage the four slots in the top edge of the bumper. It is possible to re-install the grille and have the end clip miss the slot and be on top of the top edge of the bumper.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think this qualifies for Cornick's How to's in an organized fashion!
But, I want to see independent lab testing on how this was done, A list of tools with pictures and receipts for the costs of them, also reports on the wear of the fasteners once removed, and the ill effects report on the radiator and AC condenser should you have to drive to the hardware store with the grille out. Can you post all that? MC

#4 ·
usmc xterra said:
But, I want to see independent lab testing on how this was done, A list of tools with pictures and receipts for the costs of them, also reports on the wear of the fasteners once removed, and the ill effects report on the radiator and AC condenser should you have to drive to the hardware store with the grille out. Can you post all that? MC
If someone pays for the lab costs, and the technician's time, a report by an independent lab is a possibility!

The only tool needed is the flat-blade screwdriver, and it's pictured in the Front Bumper Removal thread. Receipts have been lost, but it's a Craftsman, so that doesn't matter ;-)

The technician who did this work didn't observe any noticeable wear and tear on the fasteners.

There were no 'extra parts' needed, so the technician didn't have to go to the hardware store, and moreover, the hardware store is within walking distance. Our technicians are not allowed to drive vehicles that are 'missing parts', so there will never be any "ill effects" :)

#13 ·
miles said:
has anyone painted their grille black? Someone with a Shrockworks bumper I was thinking of doing this....

Not very good pics, but you get the idea. I used 4 coats of Krylon Fusion Gloss Black. Left the interior "mesh" and burger alone. It's holding up pretty well.

Got a question for the Mod Gods: What clearcoat or sealer would work good in this situation?

#14 ·
I did the same thing about an hour ago, except i used a flat black and matte clear coat.

I live in the god damn arctic when im at school (aka Pullman,WA..go cougs!) and im worried it might not hold up when it starts growing icicles and such, but we'll see how it goes

#17 ·
UPDATE!

I have an 05 Xterra and mine is a bit different. 4 of those round clips on top and 6 of the same round clips holding the bottom to the front bumper. The side clips are the same. Almost seems easier with these clips.

#19 ·
Are you sure they were holding the grille on? I have an 06 S and at first I thought the 6 down there were holding it on but once I got the grille off found that those just hold the top of the plastic bumper down and the grille slides in above those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.