Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Syndicate said:
Leaves me wondering how anyone figured that out.

Burnouts+bleach=more smoke...

Scientist street racers? lol
Nope Burn Out contestants. At a lot of car shows they do burnout contests. Peaople will bleach there tires up before they do it to create more smoke.

·
on line
62 Posts
How exactly does this work? Is only 1 tire spinning?

I'm trying to figure out the difference in differentials, I thought I had it down, but then I see this video and it sent me for a loop!

That Xterra doesn't look like an Off Road model so I assume it doesn't have the locking differential. If it did having a locking dif it would be easy to understand how he spun both tires.

Since he doesn't have the locking dif, that would mean it replies on the ABLS to help make the slipping wheel stop and the wheel with traction turn by using the brakes on the spinning wheel (the same way I use the E-brake on my truck to get the desired effect).

So how did this guy in the video get both wheels spinning?

·
on line
246 Posts
With out seeing the other wheel it would be hard to tell if the other is spinning or not. But in a perfect world where both tires have the same traction they would both spin even with a open diff.

·
on line
735 Posts
Ok check it out... One tire will spin on an open diff if the other one has more weight on it. the drivers side usualy gets the engine rotational tq loaded on it on level ground I guess so the right tire is almost always the one to spin. Not to mention that since we drive on the right side of the road, right turns are steeper (90 degrees) and the inside tires lifts and get spun sometimes...

now why it is easy to do burnouts on an open diff vs locked or a strong posi. A good locked setup might be hard to burn 10 feet of rubber before hooking up unless you have high horsepower with crap tires. a regular 150 or 200 hp car can get some on an open diff becase the spider gear ratio is 2:1 and a 40 mph driveshaft rpm will equal an 80 mph one wheel spin speed.

·
on line
89 Posts
Well I just did it in my X and man was it a peg-leg, but I did beat my previous record for burn out length. I set 68 feet with a Grand Marquis and the Xterra just did 74 feet. Now that is without me milking it, I could have let off the brake and barely moved while doing the burnout but thats cheating

·
on line
134 Posts
Also have to watch for blowouts. Back in highschool we were doing burnouts in a friends mustang when one tire gave way. Sounds alot like somebody firing off a shotgun in the cabin...

·
on line
89 Posts
yeah we blew a tire in a 88 grand am doing donuts, it was scarry espically the sound of the alloy rim grasping for traction....

·
on line
62 Posts
OK, so you're saying even with an open dif. it could possibly lock both wheels if everything is even, and that is how he spun both tires?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts