Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
on line
76 Posts
Well here it is finally. The Gentex Mirror, (Model 50-GENK50), I got it off of ebay for $160 dollars. The guy said it was used, but it was not. Everything came with the mirror and the wiring harness was not even used. The sticker that came on the mirror was still there and untouched.

This write up is fairly detailed, but is not very hard at all. In all it took me roughly 3 hours to complete this task, and take pics along the way.

The Tools You Will Need Are:
1.) Philips Screwdriver
2.) Flathead Screwdriver
3.) Needle-nose Pliers
4.) Electrical Tape
5.) Sticky Foam, (small pieces)
6.) Flashlight
7.) Torx Bit that will fit the Mirror
8.) Wire Cutter
9.) Wire Splicers

So included in the Kit, (Sorry I didn't take a picture of this), was the Mirror with all the Mounting stuff, if needed, a Wiring Harness two pieces which you will see later, and the Temp Sensor which has lots of length wiring to it.

First is to remove your old Mirror. I had the Auto-dimming Mirror with Compass already, so first remove the little Black piece going from the Headliner to the Compass which hides;

Then you have to unscrew the portion of the Mirror that keeps it locked into place. Its on the underside of the Mirror, as seen in the picture;

Then the Mirror pops off and then you have to unplug the Mirror as seen in the next two pics;

I did the Temp Sensor install next because I was running out of Light outside and its always tough to see in an Engine Bay at night. So I ran the Temp Sensor along the Driver-side Fender as seen in the next picture;

I ran the Sensor behind the Headlight and next to another Wiring Harness that I Zip-tied the Temp Sensor Wire too. You can see the two together in this picture. Picture is an image behind the Drivers Headlight;

From here you can attach the Temp Sensor somewhere in the Front Bumper. I chose in lower open area of the Front Bumper. I will later be wiring it to behind the front License Plate Holder.

Next you will need to run the wire through the Firewall There is a Wiring Harness already coming out of the Firewall so I poked a hole with a small Flathead Screwdriver in the area where the white is and ran the wire through here. You will not be able to see the hole until you stretch the Grommet by pushing the Temp Sensor Wiring Harness Connector through the Grommet. NOTE: It is tough to run this wire. Do not cut a big hole in the Grommet in the Firewall to get this Sensor through. You want little to no openings. I poked a hole through this and forced the Wiring Harness through here. IT WAS EXTERMELY hard to push through when you have only poked a hole the small size of a Screwdriver. It kinda or reminded me of a Woman giving Birth I helped with in an Internship. But this keeps the seal well and I tested the seal by shooting a Water Gun at it. The Supersoakers that you pump up;

This next picture is the Temp Sensor Wiring Harness Connector going through the grommet. Sorry its blurry;

Next things are inside the Xterra. You will have to take a few things off. First remove the Sunglasses Holder. This helps with the Wiring Harness Connector for the new Mirror. On mine I have the Sunglasses Holder with the Lights. I don't know if other X's have the same thing. But to remove this. Grab a hold of the Holder from the Window Side and pull down. There are two metal clips that hold it there. DO NOT pull from the front. You will tear up the tabs. The Sunglasses Holder will rotate out from the Window Side down. Then disconnect the Wiring Harness going to the Lights. You are now left with;

There is a piece of Plastic that is connected to the Front A-pillar. It is below the A-pillar as seen in this picture. THIS NEEDS TO COME OFF BEFORE THE A-PILLAR. Luckily I didn't damage my piece of Plastic;

Next you need to remove the A-pillar. I don't have Side Airbags so didn't have any problems with this. But I don't know if the Side Airbags were in the front A-pillar or the middle. So be careful with this and see if the Airbag Symbol is there. If it is, then you may need to do a little more research. But the Handle Bar is easy to remove. On either end is an attach Cover. Open them to reveal 2 big Philips Head screws. Remove the screws and wiggle and pull the Handle off. After the Handle is off you can remove the A-pillar. NOTE: I left the Side Window Defroster Connector in because there is some give in the Air Vent Duct. I couldn't get the thing off so I left it without any problems. The A-pillar is attached by two Metal Connectors which require you to pull the A-pillar off with some great force. There are tabs in the bottom of the A-pillar you have to watch out for. So at the top you pull out, then you pull out and up to get the A-pillar out. Hope this describes it well enough.

Now you will need to remove the Door Sills. This is the part that runs along the bottom of the Door opening. The front part is connected to a Kick Cover Plate. This will have to be removed later. Pull the two pieced apart. Then lift slightly on the front. the rear part has the two white round pinch connectors. That you will have to slide the Door Sills out of. Slide the Door Sills forward a little and back a little and lift up. It should come out with ease. If not you may have to pull hard have pull the White Connectors out and put them back in later. After this is removed the Black Side Kick Plate which protects some wiring has to be removed. There is a big Flathead screw that is Plastic that you have to remove. This will completely unscrew out of place. Do not pull on it or u will strip the threads. Then pull on the front part of the Kick Plate which has two Metal Connectors to release the Kick Plate. Now you have full access to everything.

Next you will need to run the wiring. The Mirror Wiring Harness comes in two pieces. One that connects to the Mirror that is short and barely reaches the Headliner and the other that runs throughout the vehicle. The next picture shows both of these Wiring Harness and the Connector. The White Connector is from
the Interior Lighting. The Left Connector is for the Main Harness and the Right is the one that Connects to the Mirror;

Run the wiring up through the Headliner going to the A-pillar. I was able to use my Fingers without any problems or damaging the Headliner. Just make sure your Fingers are clean or you will smear the Window and get the Headliner dirty. Run the wiring down the A-pillar as seen. I ran it along with another Wiring Harness and Zip-tied them together. Be sure to run the wiring behind, (toward the window), the Side-defroster Vent Duct;

The Mirror's Wiring Harness will need to a few connections. One is the Temp Sensor which is now near where you are at in the Floorboard. The other is the Constant ON and Ignition ON and Ground. I did not hook up the Reverse, (White), Wire. This is to turn OFF the Auto Dim Feature as you are Reversing. I didn't want this to happen. ALL THE WIRES ARE LABELED TO THE PART THEY GO TO. The Constant ON and Ignition have 5amp Fuses to them too.

When all the wiring is now down near the Floorboard there is a Ground Wire that needs of course a Ground. I found a bolt that had nothing on it and didn't seem to serve a purpose. Well I found its purpose. Here is the ground point I used. It was a good Ground Point, because I was able to use this and the Positive Terminal and get the 12v from the Multi-meter;

Next I had to find a Constant Power and an Ignition Power. The way I found this was by using the Multi-meter and testing all the connections I could find. I could not find a Constant Power anywhere in the lower Kick Panel area so I finally found one in the A-pillar. There is a White Connector that has a Red Wire with Silver Dots on it. this is the wire I found that has Constant Power. I don't have a picture of this. but I tapped into this wire and ran a wire down along with the Wiring Harness to be connected to the Mirrors Wiring Harness later.

Next is to find the Ignition Power. This is usually a bigger wire. I finally found one in the Kick Panel area as seen in the pic below. I used a Splicer and tapped into the wire and into the Mirror Harness Wire that said Ignition. So this part is done. See pictures below of the splices;

Now only one wire to deal with. Remember the wire from the A-pillar. Well the wire I taped into that Constant ON and ran down with the Harness. I now spliced this with the Constant ON Wire. Now connect the Temp Sensor together, (THESE BOTH HAVE CONNECTOR TO FIT).

DONE: Connect the Main Harness to the Mirror Harness and try the Mirror out before you put everything back. IF it works then reassemble everything. The excess wire you can tie up in certain locations. The Main Connector to the Harness and Mirror I put Foam Sticky stuff around so it won't rattle in the Headliner. The old connector from the Mirror I taped up also and tucked away in the Headliner. Reinstalled everything.

You will have to follow the directions for which Region you Compass will be set in. You will also have to drive around in order for the Calibration to set in the Compass. It works great and I love it. Well worth the work.

Thanks goes to Muzikman to help keep this write-up as one post.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Great write up! I will be getting one of those soon. Mine will be a little harder because I don't have the sunglass holder.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
That is in the toy category, you don't need all that trash on a mirror! What would your grandfather do to know you have that when all he had was a model T and had to stick his hand out the window for temp, squint when bright lights camp up behind, (Roswell incident) And he did not need a compass because everyone still with a horse was telling him which way to go anyways!

Slater was holding back on ya. OUTSTANDING WRITE UP! Man I gotta get me one of 'dose! No hurry, I want to find a deal like you did. You see, when people do such good write ups, the rest of us get the itch!

But I notice you were holding that hood up with an old fashioned hood rod? What's up wit dat? http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2312 (Itching powder) MC

·
on line
80 Posts
I just installed the same this weekend, except I bought the cheaper one off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO...tegoryZ33699QQihZ003QQitemZ130059816646QQrdZ1

I got it for $46, plus the shipping. Temp & Compass only, no homelink.

The only annoying thing about the cheaper one I got is every time you start the truck, it has defaulted back to compass degrees & direction display (315 NW) so you have to hit the comp/temp button to get it to read temp/direction (55F NW) for the rest of the drive.

Since I had the regular mirror on there to start, I had to ram something into the underside of the mirror mount to unlock the spring tab. I was suprised how hard you had to push. Of course when it released, the tool I used slipped and removed a layer of skin off my finger, so the final part of the install involved wiping off all of the blood spots I left everywhere imaginable.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
If anyone is just looking for an add on compass. I saw one at Target last night that just sticks to your mirror and has a little box that sticks to your window. It's battery operated and cost $30, I don't have it but it looked nice and easy.

It also tried to mimick the factory auto compass look.

·
on line
42 Posts
Very well written and awesome pics indeed. In fact I'm going to start mine tonight. Hopefully I'll get it done by midnight. :)

·
on line
423 Posts
That was a great writeup. My car has a temp and compass. My X only has the compass...on cold mornings, if I drive the X, I sit there and wonder what the temp is. Not sure why, but I do. When I drive my car on cold cold mornings, I crave coffee more...

Anyway, nice job!!

·
on line
232 Posts
I will be tackling this today with the EC mirror from Xterraparts.com. I already got the stock mirror off (took 30 secs) and the new one fits like a champ.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
I see the OP had a mirror with wiring already there since he had the compass mirror? what about us X model guys? is the wiring still there "caped/stowed" in the headliner kinda like how the wires are capped/stowed for the fog lights???

The X model Xterra has just the most basic mirror....no electrical running to it?

Can anyone confirm this?
-j

·
on line
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sorry guys. Didnt know the pictures were down. Working on it now. I'll come back with update when they are fixed
Update. Give me a little bit. there is a problem with the length now that thenewx has change a little. I'm PM a mod to try to get this figured out.

UPDATE: PICTURES FIXED

·
on line
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see the OP had a mirror with wiring already there since he had the compass mirror? what about us X model guys? is the wiring still there "caped/stowed" in the headliner kinda like how the wires are capped/stowed for the fog lights???

The X model Xterra has just the most basic mirror....no electrical running to it?

Can anyone confirm this?
-j
The mirror has a different connector. The harness that WAS connected to the compass mirror that came with the X is tucked away not being used.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
^ i see...

·
on line
1,420 Posts
I plan on adding to this write up, my installation.........i got a gentex mirror with homelink and compass, autodiming im sure also.

I pulled it this weekend off a 06 Nissan Pathfinder. I plan on wiring it up to the X soon. 50 bucks!

-J

1 - 20 of 71 Posts