Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I found this mod over on clubfrontier, so full credit goes to booth236 over there, but I thought someone might like to see it done on an Xterra. It's all the same of course. This is the simple version of the mod. The switch on the stalk has full control of the fog lights, and doesn't care if the keys are in, the lights or on, or if its raining. You hit the switch, the fogs come on. Just the way I like it.

1. Locating the Relay

In the black box on the passenger's side closest to the firewall, if you pull out the IPDM board and rotate it 180 degrees you will see a plug with large white and red wires. The fog lamp relay is the one closest to that plug. Pull it out, gently, but you might have to use pliers.

2. Soldering to the Relay

Fire up your soldering iron and connect an 18-22 gauge wire to the brass pin as shown. You need just enough wire to get through the firewall, where you can make another connection. If you don't have any heat shrink laying around, a little electrical tape will do, but you should somehow secure the wire to the side of the relay. Plug it back in and run the wire through the firewall. I used the little hole up behind the clutch pedal.

3. Removing the Light Stalk

The steering column comes apart with three screws on the bottom side and a little prying. You can separate the two pieces by hand pretty quickly, but don't bother removing the bottom one.

Press the tabs on the stalk and pull towards the driver's door to free it from the column.

4. Modding the Light Stalk

Pull off the white cover and cut the two wires off at the board. Cover the connections where you clipped the wires with a piece of tape if you want. Extend these two wires by soldering enough 18-22 gauge to run down to the other wire you just ran through the firewall.

Cut a notch in the cover, and run the wires out of the stalk.

5. Wiring

Be sure to route the wire out of the stalk away from any moving parts under the dash. Then connect one of the leads from the stalk to ground, and the other out to the relay using the wire you just pulled through the firewall.

I used a ground screw up under the dash behind the clutch start cancel switch.

Thanks again to booth236 on clubfrontier!

·
on line
807 Posts
There is a much simpler version of the mod on clubfrontier as well, but with it, the foglights are on if any lights are on, IE running lights + fogs, lowbeams + fogs, high-beams + fogs.
Not quite as many options, but it only takes about 5minutes to do, and doesnt require the removal, soldering of anything, no do you need to run wires.

Just thought some people might want to know, encase this one is too involved.

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this the one you are talking about?

It does look easier, but I don't know if I like the idea of not being able to turn them off with the low-beams.

·
on line
807 Posts
weaponzero said:
Is this the one you are talking about?

It does look easier, but I don't know if I like the idea of not being able to turn them off with the low-beams.
Thats the one. And for 5minutes and about $5, its worth a try to see if you like it, before you go soldering stuff.

·
on line
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was afraid someone might borrow the X, hit the fog light switch accidentally, and forget to turn them off and kill the battery. So I decided to use the 45 second timer and door latch circuit that powers the windows as a trigger to shut them off. It only took a few minutes with a test light to find the white/red wire on the larger of the two harnesses running into the driver’s door.

I picked up a $5 SPDT Relay from RatShack #275-241 and wired it up to switch the ground on its way into the light stalk. The relay closes the path to ground as long as the windows have power, basically inverting the polarity of this trigger so we can use it.

Now I can turn on the fogs by themselves, or with any other combination of lights, and they’ll stay on when you take the key out, for 45 seconds or until a door is opened.

Another application would be to keep your radio on until you open the door. Anybody done that yet? I would rather the radio didn't cut off after 45 seconds though, so I'm not going to use this, but 5 or 30 minutes from one of the other timers would be good.

·
on line
2,570 Posts
I think I like the ClubFrontier solution better... Less expensive to repair when i muck something up. :evil4:

·
on line
4,434 Posts
I was afraid someone might borrow the X, hit the fog light switch accidentally, and forget to turn them off and kill the battery. So I decided to use the 45 second timer and door latch circuit that powers the windows as a trigger to shut them off. It only took a few minutes with a test light to find the white/red wire on the larger of the two harnesses running into the driver’s door.

I picked up a $5 SPDT Relay from RatShack #275-241 and wired it up to switch the ground on its way into the light stalk. The relay closes the path to ground as long as the windows have power, basically inverting the polarity of this trigger so we can use it.

Now I can turn on the fogs by themselves, or with any other combination of lights, and they’ll stay on when you take the key out, for 45 seconds or until a door is opened.

Another application would be to keep your radio on until you open the door. Anybody done that yet? I would rather the radio didn't cut off after 45 seconds though, so I'm not going to use this, but 5 or 30 minutes from one of the other timers would be good.
If you use the Club Frontier solution, and power it off of Relay 36 or 37 (parking lights), then the fog lights will be on the same 5 minute timer that turns off the headlights and parking lights when you pull the key out of the ignition.

·
on line
376 Posts
Just a warning, I did the simple fog light mod where you tap into the parking lights and they are always on w/ headlights. Well it worked great for about 1.5 years until it eventually fried the board. Just an FYI for those considering it.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
Yeah... kinda been waiting for time to do this and see what happens to other people's rigs first lol

I think I'm gonna say screw it and just wire the fogs to a relay right to the battery and bypass all the truck stuff. I don't want to fry anything... Seems like less of a headache too

·
on line
14,014 Posts
I bypassed the stalk by tapping into the parking lot fuse in the fuse bank and splicing it into the fog light fuse. Works perfectly.
Yeah, that's the "fog bypass mod" we're talking about here. It seems to be the most common method to get around the stalk and fogs w/ running lights only and high beams. Great little mod, but that one guy posted that it fried his board after a year or so.

·
on line
6,649 Posts
FYI I had to unhook my under the hood foglight bypass mod because it was overloading the parking light wire on my remote start and melting the fuse in the in-line fuse holder on the parking light wire coming off the remote start brain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is there a way to do the bypass on the board and NOT fry anything other than doing an entire bypass like posted above.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts