Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
What kind of pump did you guys use? cause I purchased two different types of syphones and it was too weak to suck up the oil into the transfer case. So i ended up attaching a tube on the ATF bottle and squeeze the sh*t out of the bottle Lol..
Lost half quart on my arm and floor hahahaha

Be very afraid of RTV when used anywhere it might get into the machinery. Excellent product for blocking oil passages. My preference would be a medium Locktite.
how would RTV get into the machinery if you apply a little bit on the outside of the threads on the plug and then drive it in carefully... :scratch:

it wouldn't..there is zero chance if you do it correctly....and put it on the back of the threads...I ahve been doing it this way (with my Jeep as well) for 8 years...and have never once had an issue or found any RTV in my fluid. :)

What kind of pump did you guys use? cause I purchased two different types of syphones and it was too weak to suck up the oil into the transfer case. So i ended up attaching a tube on the ATF bottle and squeeze the sh*t out of the bottle Lol..
Lost half quart on my arm and floor hahahaha
if you use the amsoil stuff..and get the amsoil pump for ten more bucks..you never have to worry about this...the pump works exceptionally well.

To flush the Transfert case, you will need 2 Qts (2 liters) of Nissan ATF matic D or equivalent which in this case I used Castrol for $5/qts . You will need a 10 mm hex socket to remove the 2 drain plugs. I strongly recommand to replace the 2 crush washers on the drain plugs that you can find them at the Auto parts. Hole diameter inside of 18 mm and 25mm extern 18/25mm.
You also will need a manual pump to refill the ATF which you can find it at the Auto part store for $19.-. Siphon pump kit model#3878
Finally a bucket that can hold 3 Qts.
Doing the all thing will take you about 1 hours and you wont need to get your xterra on a lift since there is plenty of room between the chassis and the ground..
Voila

Long time reader of the forum, first time posting and I hope this thread isn't dead. I've been getting different answers from three different dealerships, technicians, and all data.

I have an 08 X off-road with a six speed manual trans and 4 wheel drive.

Haynes manual, all data, some service techs and parts mngrs at the stealerships say to use d matic atf in the transfer case. But other service techs, and other people on this forum say use the same gear oil as the transmission.

Once and for all what should I use in my manual transmission's transfer box, ATF or gear oil?

Thanks for the helpful info. I was going to do this last night, but when I started to take off the OEM transfer case skid plate, I sheared the heads off two of the mounting bolts. At that point I stopped and decided to figure it out later, leaving the middle two bolts alone.

Now I need to decide if I want to try and do the drain / fill with the skid plate in place, or just go ahead and break the other two bolts off. Damn rust.

Thanks for the helpful info. I was going to do this last night, but when I started to take off the OEM transfer case skid plate, I sheared the heads off two of the mounting bolts. At that point I stopped and decided to figure it out later, leaving the middle two bolts alone.

Now I need to decide if I want to try and do the drain / fill with the skid plate in place, or just go ahead and break the other two bolts off. Damn rust.
PB Blaster.... That is all

PB Blaster.... That is all
Oh I put PB Blaster on these bolts, as best I could anyway. The problem is that they're inside that frame crossmember and it's hard to get any spray where it needs to go. The worst part is that I was able to turn them a few turns to where they were actually starting to come out, giving me false hope... and then snap.

Not to take this thread too far off topic (it's supposed to be about transfer case fluids) but I'm having flashbacks to this spring:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=146522

I didn't use a pump to get fluid in, I just used a spout on the bottle from an air tool oil container. That worked fine.

Although maybe the slightly longer wheelbase on a fronty makes it easier.

I tried to work around the skid plate but it was really a pain to access the drain plug and it would have gotten fluid everywhere if the plate was in the way. So I broke the other two bolts and removed the plate.

It would be tough to get fluid into the t case without some sort of pump. I got this one from Amazon and it worked great.

Just be sure to keep the outlet side higher than the fluid level once you prime it, or it makes an effective siphon!

I got about 1 oz per pump with this, so it didn't take too long to fill the case with about two quarts.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.