Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ran a search for a how-to on a transfer case oil change and came up with nada. i never done one before and i need a little reasurance that im doing it right. i want to make sure i got the drain and fill plug right.

thanks

·
on line
807 Posts
Transfer case is super easy to change.
Lay down under your truck on the drivers side. Find the t-case (in between the trans and the rear driveshaft) You will find 2 plugs, they both take hex hits, although I forget which size. Unscrew the upper plug (fill plug) then unscrew the lower plug (drain plug) and let all the fluid drain into a pan. Put the drain plug back in (I put a tad bit of silicon sealer on the threads), then fill it up with the recommended amount of fluid until the fluid level is right at the fill hole. I used Amsoil, and I think it is about 1.5qts IIRC. Reinstall the fill plug (again I put a dab of silicon sealer on it) and your done.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
No, dont jack up the front end.

Just how steve said it is what ya do. I put some Blue RVT sealent on my plugs when i put them back in, but whatever. It really is prety easy, and i agree, use the amsoil. After i did the fluid change the noise switching from 2 to 4 wheel drive was gone.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. i finished the front and rear diffs in the dark last night. so i didnt get to the t-case. when the weather clears up ill finish the rest.

im at 46000 miles and have the amsoil stuff too.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
today is the day to do this. i didnt dl the nissan service manual so can anyone verify this for me?

Reactions: AlbatrossCafe

·
on line
807 Posts
Yup, thats it.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys! used a 10mm allen wrench/hex and it was smooth sailing from there. i was 1 full quart low. i added ~2.1 quarts and took out ~1.3. anyone else?

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it seems like it is quieter cause theres more fluid in there now

·
on line
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep, amsoil all around

·
on line
155 Posts
TXterra37 said:
What fluid did you guys use, AMSOIL stuff?
I'm curious to find out as well. In the manual, they specify Matic D ATF for the transfercase, but they didn't give a weight on it. Since I'm running NEO, I would like to run their stuff in there. What's the correct weight?
Alex

·
on line
807 Posts
primerhb55 said:
what kind of fluid does the transfer case take is it the same as the diffs
NO!
It is the same as the auto Trans.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts