Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be advice and procedure for anyone using the Deaver Add-A-Leaf Kit or anyone replacing their U-Bolts.

Once I installed my Deaver AAL and replaced the U-Bolts I experienced a drive line vibration from the rear. This vibration is caused by a "preloading" of the AALs. By installing the AALs one side a at time, one of the leaf packs may become preloaded with trucks weight. This occurrence will cause an uneven distribution of weight and thus cause a unwanted vibration. :scratch:

One fix for this problem is adding a 3 degree shim in between the leaf pack and the axle. I did not want to remove the U-Bolts and entire AAL a leaf to fix this problem.

:sign7: I talked to Greg at PRG (who I bought the AALs from) and he suggested this:

On level ground loosen the U-Bolts on both sides. Do not lift the truck to do this. Also, do not remove the nuts from the U-Bolts, just loosen them.

Once the U-Bolts are loose, rock the rear of the truck back and forth on both sides.

Now, get back under your X and re-torque those U-Bolts. The Vibration should disappear (which it did in my case).

Hope this helps! :thumbleft:

·
on line
145 Posts
You should do that anyway after spring work/installation. Leave the shackle and spring eye bolts loose. Take the vehicle of the jacks etc and then rock and bounce it some to settle everything. Then tighten all the nuts and bolts. The spring bushings will thank you for it.

·
on line
298 Posts
Thats how I did mine to begin with (just seemed easier to me, didnt think of this reason) and I got no vibs. Also, used no shims.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To clarify, I did originally torque all the bolts with the vehicle weight on them. I feel that the AALs should still settle after a few hundred or even a thousand miles and be re-torqued.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts