Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
EURO-KEY HOW-TO:

I decided to give this mod a shot after reading a thread on it a few months ago. It took me about 1 Hour including the time to get the Key cut at the local Hardware Store. There is a write up about this HERE, but I felt it left out some important details and lacked pictures.

Other Link:
- Key Fob: $12.95 with Free Shipping;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0472787903&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Tools Needed:
- Standard and Phillips Head Screwdrivers
- Scissors
- Super Glue
- 1/16" Punch

STEP 1: DIASSEMBLE
- Remove the three Phillips screws from the new Key Fob to disassemble. To disassemble the original Key Fob, insert a Flathead Screwdriver into the recessed area above the Key Ring and pry apart.

- Remove the Battery Clip by prying lightly on Metal Tabs.

- I chose to wash the Rubber Button overlay, because mine was down right nasty. A little Dish Soap and some scrubbing, now it's just like new. :)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

- Remove the Transponder from your original Key Fob and place it into the new FOB in the recessed area in the upper right corner. I had to actually cut the Key in half to get my Transponder out.

STEP 2: RASSEMBLE
- Super Glue the Key Chain Clip to the Battery side of the Key Fob. This while save you a ton of frustration.

- Insert Battery Retainer Clip into the new Fob. Make sure the Clip is inserted in front of the little Plastic Bump or the Contacts will not line up with the Circuit Board.

- Place the guts back into the other side of the Fob. I ended up trimming the Rubber piece a little, to get it to fit correctly.

- Insert the Spring is shown below.

- Place the Button on the Spring with the shorter of the three Tabs facing towards the Fob.

- Slip the Key over the Button. Rotate the Key 1 and 1/2 Revolutions Clockwise, until it lines up with how its going to sit when closed and place Cover back on.

STEP 3: GETTING KEY CUT
- You need the Punch, to knock the little Retainer Pin out so they can fit into the Key Cutter.

- Replace the Pin and your done.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to post any questions.

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
2. Reassemble:
- Super glue the key chain clip to the battery side of the key fob. This while save you a ton of frustration.
EXCELLENT ADVICE! the stupid little key chain thingy drove me crazy while doing this.

on a side note, I actually took mine apart and took just the metal key part to lowes to have it cut. i didn't pull the pin out of it, just used the whole thing. Since I supplied my own key, she cut it for me for FREE!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wisbike,
$12.95 with free shipping. I just added the link above.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
gonna throw in another helpful hint out there for you guys. if you do this, go ahead and put a new battery in while you have it apart. Mine died yesterday because the battery was old so i had to take it all apart again and put it back together. not tough, but a waste of time.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts