Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I turned down a very Hot date to do this, ahhh she wanted me to pay anyways! (I think)

Why? Dirt wears sh!t out.

1st I warn you, all my how to's take into consideration you know what you are doing and have a fully stocked shop like mine and you know the safety rules, Don't work on a running engine, Got that? Never, and double never use gloves or rags around a running engine. Maybe I can illustrate a little. I get a PM on "You owe me a finger" I'm not answering!

If you have my Hood Rod Mod... http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/1313-how-hood-rod-mod-cmhx-updated-*cpl*.html, it really makes the job easy, otherwise also watch for a falling hood if you knock the Rod out washing. Kuto's if you have it!

On with the show, This is about what you will need, and some rags, But 1st, I use rain X on my windshield, if you don't cover it with water then stick a 55 gallon trash bag to it, we are going to use chemicals here, and we don't want any etching going on, wet your front end and keep it wet.

Ok, now using a LOW pressure water force, (The wand I show on a garden hose is ideal) You don't need or want HIGH PRESSURE! Kinda rinse it all down ENGINE OFF! And apply the Bathroom cleaner to the hood, Yes, even that noise reduction pad, just don't soak it with water,

A brush like this comes in handy if you have one. Then rinse again, and remember, rinse the windshield and the fenders after each spray.

Now, Clean that battery! This is as bad as I ever let mine get, lots of tips and leans at Moab put it to the test, I charged it, refilled it and now wash it. Use Battery cleaner, you can also use it anywhere on the engine. It foams stuff out off the injectors pretty good.

This kind of brush in like have to have equipment on this whole job!

It gets into places quick like nothing else.

Ok using the Bathroom cleaner, the battery cleaner and maybe some engine cleaner, (I suggest the Orange scent kind) you spray it all down, use the brush to clean, spray, rinse, brush clean, a few times until you have it. Lastly soak it all down with the Citrus Orange cleaner, this will avoid any smells about the cabin area that will make your lady want to bop you one. Plus the stuff is great!

Now, what we do next if you have a compressor is a blow dry, this blows water out of all the places it stands, and dry the engine for next steps. No compressor? Use a lint-less cloth and keep the engine off!

You wondered what we were going to do with the brake cleaner? Well this hose is clean, well, cleaned, here I show half cleaned and top half shot with brake cleaner and wiped dry, do as many as you want, do the AC lines also, actually this stuff won't hurt anything you spray under the hood, but always follow a spray with a wipe from lint-less cloth, a T shirt will do. Diapers? You also use same method on any parts that did not come clean from all the previous cleaning.

Ok, you have cleaned everything, that removes all the oils, so Re oil your hood hinge, your hood latch including the springs, and if you have my Hood Rod Mod, the pivot points on the Struts.

Now, On the far Right is all you need to do this, I would have used that stuff but my How to's are for average person with on hand chemicals. I suffered for you! Great stuff, I can use it next time. Now, the two on the left is engine detail-er, DON"T get too wild with it! If you get this on your belt, you have to remove it, clean it with the brake parts cleaner and the pulley's also and re - install. It Might make it squeak! I had no problems. Just remember, DON'T run the engine! Squirt what you want, I do about everything and wipe dry with a sponge.

I use Turtle Wax Ice and remaining plastic and rubber parts such as the cowl in front of the windshield and the top of the engine cover. Nice touch!
Now, Start your engine, (IT WILL start) And let it run to op temp, shut it off and touch up anything that got messed up when you ran it, and you are done! Sweet huh? You can spend more time and get more detailed, This cleaning I done Before I went to ECXC so I can know just how dirty I got while there. (I don't bring dirt to a run) so this was a moderate cleaning.

For difference, go back and look at shot with chemicals to use on engine.

Now I note that some people like to run the engine while cleaning, I am an old man, I don't, I have done this many many times. And I add that this engine bay is very well designed to guard against water intrusion that will stop you from running. Key is, Low water pressure, don't start it until you are done. Don't blast one spot for 20 seconds either, use half a brain..... or lose half a finger!

Off to ECXC, If you are not there I expect a picture posted of your clean engine when I get back!

MC

·
on line
298 Posts
I run it when I am using water to hose it down. When I am doing the scrubbing, I turn it off.

Its also worth mentioning that ELECTRIC fans can kick on at any time on a lot of vehicles. In those cases, work on a COLD engine only.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
avizpls said:
I run it when I am using water to hose it down. When I am doing the scrubbing, I turn it off.

Its also worth mentioning that ELECTRIC fans can kick on at any time on a lot of vehicles. In those cases, work on a COLD engine only.
I have 38618 miles on my X I just did the how to because I see a lot of people ask the question, I kinda quit doing how to's for a long time because someone always comes behind me with a no do it the other way, but I can't figure why they just don't do a how to their way?

Running the engine is old school, for motors with distributor caps that dis not seal and carburetors that had tiny holes in them that needed airflow. You do not need, nor should you run the engine when cleaning. If you had a bad spark wire and it jumped park up to you, you could get a good jolt, plus, it's obvious it's safer to wash a stooped engine verses a running one, (less moving parts) And, you are at greater risk of drive belt contamination. (you don't want that, trust me I have guided some people to cure that.) there are many other reasons, Many. If you live long enough, you'll find out! I detailed cars in Va for 8 years in Manassas area for high end clients, a body shop and a trim shop, I have detailed almost every make of car in that time. I never run the engine in a HEI system configuration (like about 1973 on depending on make)

Sexterra yea, both ADD and ECD or something like that. I'm at ECXC now, M Campana is sleeping like a baby in his X behind me. I'll post a thread with pictures as I did last year for those of you who can wash your engine with it off.

MC

·
on line
735 Posts
never spray a hot engine..some sensors like a TPS will crack inside from the rapid temp change. I generally lightly clean the engine bay more frequently to avoid having to really soak down the engine.

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
1,002 Posts
thanks for this write up, MC. I plan to do it soon. Did you remove the engine cover at all?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I just go to the car wash and use the engine cleaner mode and hose it down then rinse and i'm done. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to everything.

·
on line
1,977 Posts
Very nicely done. I use Simple Green by itself and it does a very good job of degreasing everything. I finish it off with CD2 too. It's amazing stuff and lasts a long time.

·
TNX Administrator
20,374 Posts
All Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this thread!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts