Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have been wanting to do the fog light/roof light bypass on my 2011 PRO 4X for some time now. I am mechanically inclined but never found the time to get into it. I have been doing some research and found another idea from the frontier board that was stolen from the Titan forum and decided to give it a shot. It's a fog light bypass that keeps the fogs on with high and low beams. This means that you can have fogs, high beams and roof lights all at the same time and it is very simple to do.

1. under the hood on the passenger side is the fuse box you will need to access. The panel you're looking for is on its side when you take the top off. It looks like this and these are the tail light and fog light fuses (the fog is the one on the right in the picture).

[URL=http://s132.photobucket.com/user/havoc996/media/image8_zpsyyf2mf1c.jpg.html][/URL]

2. You will need two (add a fuse, also called add a circuit connectors). Cut the connector wire on one and crimp it into the other connector. Once that is done you are going to cut off one of the blade connectors closer to the wire side of the connector. It should look like this.

[URL=http://s132.photobucket.com/user/havoc996/media/image1_zps6mbymmgn.jpg.html][/URL]

3. Add the 10 and 15 amp fuse to the side with both blade connectors (15 on bottom and 10 on the top of that connector) and a 15 amp to the side with 1 blade cut off (in the picture I used a 30 amp because it's all I had at the time). Now plug the connector with two fuses into the ten amp slot where the tail light circuit is wire facing up. Plug the other connector in the fog light circuit in the same position. It should look like this.

[URL=http://s132.photobucket.com/user/havoc996/media/image4_zpsjlehvins.jpg.html][/URL]

4. Put the cover back on and close the hood because you are done. :rockin:

[URL=http://s132.photobucket.com/user/havoc996/media/image5_zpsgq1u4hgg.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s132.photobucket.com/user/havoc996/media/image6_zpsrryf98ve.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s132.photobucket.com/user/havoc996/media/image7_zpsf6temvsp.jpg.html][/URL]

With this set up the fog lights come on with the parking lights and stay on in both high and low beam mode. You have effectively gotten rid of your fog light switch. If you put the high beams on and have a PRO 4X like me, you now have fogs, high beams and roof lights all at once. You still cannot use the roof lights with the low beams and I should also note that the magnetic covers will still keep the roof lights from coming on if they are in place. Drawbacks would be you can't just have running lights (I personally don't care) but there is no extra switches and the lights all go off when you turn off your lights normally, which means no risk of accidentally leaving them on and draining the battery. Took me ten minutes with a set of wire cutters and a leatherman. Parts cost about $12 at advanced auto parts. :grin:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@spoolup

I want. Do you see any reason why I shouldn't do this?
Ok, so I did this mod yesterday. I have checked brake lights, turn signals, running lights, etc and everything is working great. The only thing I did when I got home was remove the crimp connector to shorten the wire and solder it together and then shrink wrap it. If you didn't know, you would think it came from the factory like this. I love it! I always kept the fog lights on anyways and didn't want to get into all the wiring I've seen on other versions. It works great and is so simple to do.

The only thing I'm not sure about would be the 2005-2010 because according to other threads they have a different fuse set up. You need to make sure you can fit the ADD A CURCUIT connectors in the space available. Beyond that I see no reason it wouldn't work with any second Gen X. Another thing to note is it takes 2 minutes to put the X right back to stock by removing the connector and putting the fuses back in their slots which is always a plus in my book. Let me know how it works for you if you do it.

·
TNX Veteran
4,179 Posts
I will do that. I asked spoolup because he's a wiring guru, and I know less than nothing about it. I too always have my fogs on if the lights are on. I assume you can turn them off, or did this mod negate that option?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do that. I asked spoolup because he's a wiring guru, and I know less than nothing about it. I too always have my fogs on if the lights are on. I assume you can turn them off, or did this mod negate that option?
You cannot turn them off separate of the headlights and running lights. You are using the tail light power source to power the fogs so as long as you have the switch turned to running lights or headlights they are on.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The bad thing about doing this is your fog light power is also being pulled from marker light power (if I am following what he did), So on a circuit usually rated for 10 amps, you could possibly draw 25. Now true there is usually overhead in wiring gauge fuse rating etc, but I doubt that they is that much. IE 150% extra load. I do not know the wire size that powers the markers, but the fog lights draw more than the markers easily. There is a possibility of heating the wire to that fuse and melting something. I just have not spent anytime searching it.

Now, if one were to upgrade to all LED bulbs, the risk would be very minimal as LEDs draw considerably less than incans. But with all factory lighting, you have the potential for melting insulation, plastic housings, and even a fire.

I would not personally do it until you measure the current of said system and check wire diameter. Just my $0.02

With Robs install yesterday we used an unused ignition switched circuit (seat heaters) and used it with one of these piggy back fuse deals to power his CB, but his CB has a 2amp fuse, and again the main circuit is not even populated on his truck. I need to try to convince him to install a secondary fuse block on this truck and redo his wiring but right now he only has a few extras added, so I feel he is fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was thinking about doing LED bulbs anyway so I guess this clinches it. That being said I have had no issues yet and since it still has a 10 amp fuse in it if it was trying to pull more power wouldn't it blow the fuse? Also I have noticed no difference in brightness of any of the lights involved.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Nope. The fuse will be fine, here is a pitiful art attempt on what the circuit did. I did not add relays/ switches, etc. Just the general idea displayed.

As you can see, the red is your added circuit. The black wire feeding the original fuse is what will go, or the socket holding that leg of the fuse will get hot and possibly melt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so if I switched both the 30 and 15 amp fuses to 10 amps would that make a difference or do you think it would just blow right away? I see what you mean and am planning on putting in the LED bulbs however I have noticed nothing that would alarm me as of yet. Thank you for your reply and expertise.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ok so if I switched both the 30 and 15 amp fuses to 10 amps would that make a difference or do you think it would just blow right away? I see what you mean and am planning on putting in the LED bulbs however I have noticed nothing that would alarm me as of yet. Thank you for your reply and expertise.
I just wanted to say that I ROFL'd at the link to the PDF in your signature, :D.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@spoolup I replaced the tail lights with LED bulbs and will be doing the fog lights as soon as the bulbs come in. What's the best way to test the circuit?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had zero issues with this mod. I did decide to replace the tail lights with LED bulbs and am going to do the fogs as well but ran it stock for about two days with no problems.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Nice little mod for some.... But what I noticed is that it basically turns on the Fog lights anytime the lights are on. If you turn on all your other lights you can't turn off your fog lights.

In texas.... You can only have 4 headlights on at any one time. So Headlights and roof lights, or headlights and fogs. Unless your off road you can't have all 6 on.

I will have to look at a mod that will allow me to still turn them on and off without the Headlights being on or not. That's what I would like lol

TGC

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice little mod for some.... But what I noticed is that it basically turns on the Fog lights anytime the lights are on. If you turn on all your other lights you can't turn off your fog lights.

In texas.... You can only have 4 headlights on at any one time. So Headlights and roof lights, or headlights and fogs. Unless your off road you can't have all 6 on.

TGC
Most states have a max height law for light's on the road. 42 inches is the norm or about there. So you shouldn't be using roof lights unless you are offroad anyway. You are correct that the fogs come on as soon as you turn the headlight switch to the first position which is the running light (yellow marker lights on the front and the tail lights). But since I never use roof lights on the road it's no problem. The bigger issue is not being able to throw as much light down range as you can, if the X is not modded.

·
on line
391 Posts
i just did it and it's working fine for me. one thing i will say, if you're going to order the part on amazon make sure you buy the smaller one. I bought the regular size and the fuses didnt fit. i'll see how it ends up working out as i havent really used it much after dark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts